Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Guide for RX400h

Hi all,

I am looking at getting an RX400h for family duties. Unfortunately my budget is not high and I am probably looking at a 2005-2006 100k miler or thereabouts.

Is there a buyer's guide someone can point me to? I did a search but couldn't find one.

In particular, other than normal car buying checks, what are the issue I should be aware of with regard to a hybrid 400h and at 100k plus miles.

Also, can someone enlighten me to as the specification differences. Is the below correct?

SE-L has Air Suspension and a Mark Levinson stereo over the SE ?

Therefore an SE has traditional suspension ?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Great car choice!

You've pretty much covered it with the regular checks. As much history as you can and don't forget these have cam belts so factor that in if required. Hybrid system is extremely reliable and shouldn't give you bother if you have the previously mentioned history.

No air suspension on the 400h. SE-L is just an indication of trim.

Thanks, great news on the air suspension. I didn't realise the 400h didn't have it.

What is the service interval for the 400h and when is the cambelt due a change ?

Thanks guys. Useful info to be armed with when looking at cars with supposedly full service history yet they only have 5 services in 12 years 😉

Ah yes, agreed. I've noticed these older Lexus usually have a bit of surface rust underneath which isn't anything really to worry about but I remember looking at a 400h that had made its way from Aberdeen to Doncaster and that was seriously crusty. Enough for me to walk away even though it ticked all the other boxes.

There looks to be quite a few to choose from down your neck of the wood. But good low mileage 08 or 09 reg rx400h are holding there value quite well, especially if you want to buy from a dealer. 

Yes, dealers are definitely taking advantage of their ability to provide finance etc. Lexus dealers have nothing below £9k !

I don't need a dealer an can buy private so no big deal although many of these cars do seem to find their way into dealers as opposed to private.

There are a few around, as you say, and unfortunately I am at the lower end of the market, looking at 2005 - 2007 with high-ish mileage.

Very hard to find one that is in decent condition and with a proper full service history and a cambelt change at 100k miles.

Shocking to see many over 100k miles which have not had the belt changed 😞 

The fact that these cars are on main dealer forecourts should also reassure you of the vehicle reliability. How many 15 year old BMWs and Mercedes do you see outside Sytner for example? I only bought my first Lexus in 2017 and by then it was already 15 years old but came with a full year of comprehensive warranty, a year of breakdown cover, serviced, taxed, MOT's, the lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have seen a couple of 400h vehicles but they seem to have LED a hard life. I realise they attract mothers who are ferrying  around 2 to 3 kids but is it likely to find one owned by more mature owners or families or am I kidding myself ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links