Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Choice. 2016 450h

I have 2016 450h F Sport currently on Dunlop SP Sports (came from Lexus with these on).

I will need a new pair on the front fairly soon, and was wondering if there are any recommendations.

I obviously want them to last a decent amount of miles, but also don't want unwanted road noise. With winter coming I need something suitable for wet and cold roads, and maybe snow if we are unlucky.  

Any thoughts?

Paul

Tyre choice is a balance of attributes, compromises, and personal preferences.  One doesn't normally get the opportunity to test many of the tyres available and in any event, ideally, this would be on your own car because some tyres are better suited to specific models. But in reality one has to base ones selection on comparative tests on whatever car was used by testers and also experience of other motorists.  I narrowed my research down to the 2 models Herbie listed.  The Goodyear's won one survey but the Michelin's have done well in others surveys.  Lexus Cheltenham told me that they didn't have much experience of the former yet but a number of their customers had commented favourably on the Cross Climates.  In the light of this I had the Michelin's fitted last Friday.  Black Circle were discounting these with a further £40 off if 4 tyres were purchased.  Lexus almost matched the price telling me they were making a loss on them but wanted to retain my business.  They had to get them in and fit by arrangement. These replaced the Dunlops which still had plenty of tread but the side walls had begun to crack and the two rears had severe wedging, (glad to lose them!)   The Michelin's are quieter and I have found give a more comfortable ride, although this may be down to softer/newer rubber and the Dunlop's having hardened up.  I was also surprised how light the steering is with the Michelin's. Can't say how they will perform in very wintry conditions, although tests indicate should be good.  I can say I was very happy how they performed in dry and wet on the couple of hundred or so miles from Cheltenham to my home in Devon.

I don't mix tyres of different brands or even different models of same brand, so will be swapping tyres round in due course to help equalise wear. I run my tyres at 2.5 bar which is what Lexus set my new tyres at on my 3rd Gen RX450h.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/2/2019 at 12:50 AM, Barry14UK said:

I don't mix tyres of different brands or even different models of same brand, so will be swapping tyres round in due course to help equalise wear. I run my tyres at 2.5 bar which is what Lexus set my new tyres at on my 3rd Gen RX450h.

I run my Cross Climates at 2.5 bar and they are wearing nice and evenly over nearly 22,000 miles. I shan't bother swapping the wheels around but will just replace the fronts when required. Like you the original Dunlops were wedging and the car is so much better on the Michelin's. I'm sure you'll get the full benefit of them this winter down in Devon 👍

• Like 1

We've had Crossclimate+ on our Leaf and our V70. When the GS450h and the Tesla need new tyres then they will be getting Crossclimate+ also. 

They are ideally suited to the UK climate. Most all season tyres (eg the Vector 4 season) start with a winter tyre and somewhat improve its summer capability. You can see this just visually, with the traditional jagged snow/ice siping on the tyre. That means these tyres will perform very well in snow and ice (better than the crossclimate), and are quite well suited to snow-tyre areas of europe (where snow conditions will persist for weeks/months). However, generally they are less good as a summer tyre. 

The Crossclimate isn't quite as good in snow/ice, but offers the right balance for the UK (where we might see a few days of snow per year if that - and I live up in the Pennines. Southern areas maybe a dusting that lasts for a few hours), with more focus on cold wet performance as well as summer performance. 

Another factor to consider is Michelin's current design ethos about maintaining tyre performance as they wear. Although the Goodyear is better in snow when new, when worn down to 2mm the Michelin will in fact out-perform it because the Michelin maintains performance better: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/New-VS-4mm-VS-2mm-All-Season-Tyre-Performance.htm 

As you said you'd like a quiet tyre, again I'll recommend the Crossclimate from experience - On our Leaf obviously tyre noise was a very significant factor (as it had no significant drivetrain noise on the motorway, and it had reasonably good aerodynamics for a hatch so wind noise wasn't a big factor - tyre noise was most evident), and the Crossclimates were very quiet (as they were on our V70 too, but the diseasel engine drowned out much of that benefit). The spectrum of their noise is different to other tyres, with less low-frequency energy (the stuff that carries through the body shell and booms) and more high frequency energy (that is more easily deflected/absorbed by the sound deadening in the car) - The crossclimates generate more of a white noise than a pink noise (if you're not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise)

Ultimately there are a bunch of really good all-season tyres currently on the market - The goodyear, the conti allseason contact (but I've never liked any conti that I've had), the bridgestone A005 and of course the Crossclimate +. Based on my experiences with the Crossclimate I have no hesitation in buying them again, and over the others for the reasons I've laid out above. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've had Crossclimate SUVs  on my RX for a while and indeed the fronts will want replacing pretty soon.  Unfortunately, it seems that the size I need is out of stock everywhere just at the moment.  Anyone know what's happening?

Same problem. Looking around based on the recommendations (thank you everyone) and struggling to find CrossClimates anywhere.

Will keep looking as not needing them immediately. 

1 hour ago, PGLex said:

Same problem. Looking around based on the recommendations (thank you everyone) and struggling to find CrossClimates anywhere.

Will keep looking as not needing them immediately. 

Cant get cross climates in 4RX size so Im not surprised

The current best tyres for the 4RX Luxury spec and above trim are Bridgestone Duelers

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ian M said:

235 55 R 19 for the 3RX, but CrossClimates aren't available in that size either at the moment.

Lucky I got mine ordered in and fitted by Lexus Cheltenham on 27th Sep then.  I wonder whether the favourable reports  circulating about these tyres and the fact that Black Circle were discounting them with a further £40 off if 4 were purchased  may possibly have caused a run on them.

• Like 1

By way of update:  I did an on line chat with Michelin earlier today.  CrossClimates in the size for my 3RX are not expected back in stock for 8-10 weeks.  

However, she did say that if there are any available, then ATS Euromaster are the most likely to have them.  Lo and behold, they are showing them in stock, so I have ordered and paid for a pair for the front of my car to be fitted at my local branch on a date of my choice (which isn't for another 2 weeks, to suit my diary).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:56 PM, Ian M said:

By way of update:  I did an on line chat with Michelin earlier today.  CrossClimates in the size for my 3RX are not expected back in stock for 8-10 weeks.  

However, she did say that if there are any available, then ATS Euromaster are the most likely to have them.  Lo and behold, they are showing them in stock, so I have ordered and paid for a pair for the front of my car to be fitted at my local branch on a date of my choice (which isn't for another 2 weeks, to suit my diary).

Just to complete the story, I got a confirmation text from ATS Euromaster yesterday, so I turned up at my local branch at the appointed hour this morning.  When I arrived, I was told that they had not been delivered to the branch on yesterday’s delivery as expected and that the branch manager was unable to say when, or even if, they may arrive.  After some negotiation, a full refund was eventually given, which will hopefully arrive in my credit card account over the coming days.  

I have subsequently raised the lack of any prior notification with ATS Euromaster via their on line chat and was told that chat cannot deal with complaints and I must instead email their customer relations team, from whom I have received a generic holding response but no more.  This is a company who claims that "the following four values are at the heart of ATS Euromaster and help to make every visit or interaction with us an experience to remember

• Honesty - It's what sets us apart, builds trust and encourages our customers to return and recommend us time after time.
  • Expertise -  Getting it right matters. Demonstrating our expertise means customers are confident in our ability.
  • Outstanding Customer Care - By putting our customers first we hope to be their number one choice.
  • Easy to do Business with - By ensuring a quick and efficient service, our customers can be back on the road in no time."

Personally, I think it's certainly an experience to remember, but that they have failed to deliver on on all 4 values.  I shall await the arrival of new stock of CrossClimates at my friendly local independant tyre retailer.  Fortunately, the fronts are not so badly worn that I can't wait a little while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Just to complete the story, I got a confirmation text from ATS Euromaster yesterday, so I turned up at my local branch at the appointed hour this morning.  When I arrived, I was told that they had not been delivered to the branch on yesterday’s delivery as expected and that the branch manager was unable to say when, or even if, they may arrive.  After some negotiation, a full refund was eventually given, which will hopefully arrive in my credit card account over the coming days.  

I have subsequently raised the lack of any prior notification with ATS Euromaster via their on line chat and was told that chat cannot deal with complaints and I must instead email their customer relations team, from whom I have received a generic holding response but no more.  This is a company who claims that "the following four values are at the heart of ATS Euromaster and help to make every visit or interaction with us an experience to remember

• Honesty - It's what sets us apart, builds trust and encourages our customers to return and recommend us time after time.
  • Expertise -  Getting it right matters. Demonstrating our expertise means customers are confident in our ability.
  • Outstanding Customer Care - By putting our customers first we hope to be their number one choice.
  • Easy to do Business with - By ensuring a quick and efficient service, our customers can be back on the road in no time."

Personally, I think it's certainly an experience to remember, but that they have failed to deliver on on all 4 values.  I shall await the arrival of new stock of CrossClimates at my friendly local independant tyre retailer.  Fortunately, the fronts are not so badly worn that I can't wait a little while.

Thanks for the update. A Company I shall steer clear of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Opps, sorry for my faulting memory 😳 , I had Hankook on former GS, now on RX I have Yokoama Bluearth Winter w905: just changed this morning and I found them no noisy. this is 2nd winter with them.

Just fitted a set of Nokian Weatherproof all-season. Had a set previously, unrivalled on snow & ice, and unreal on the wet. Made in Nokia, Finland where they have snow & ice for 80% of the year. Very long wearing, a Premium tyre, very quiet (a necessity with the hushed 450H!).

I fully understand that Michelin Cross Climate must be performing well, as they are so popular here, and they must well equal the Nokian Weatherproof but find it hard to believe they could surpass them.

I have heard great reports of Michelin, as i-s states " Michelin's current design ethos about maintaining tyre performance as they wear. ......, when worn down to 2mm the Michelin will in fact out-perform it because the Michelin maintains performance better ", and would love to hear from anyone that got to the end of both the Nokian Weatherproof and the Michelin Cross Climates - as I never got to the end of my previous Nokians, as I changed the car before that.

• Like 2