Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

problems with blistering lacquer on wheels nx

ron1953

Has anyone had problems with the lacquer on their diamond cut wheels blistering

I have a 2017 nx 300h f sport just over 2 years old and the lacquer on the wheels is starting to

blister in several places

the dealer  told me he had spoke to the lexus warranties and they said they had know other

complaints about the wheels , so they would not be prepared to do anything .

has anybody else had this problem

iphone pics 1102019 274.JPG

I THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD A LOAD OF COBBLERS.

Lacquer peeling is a well known TOYOTA/LEXUS PROBLEM. INSIST THAT IT IS TREATED UNDER THE 3 YEARS MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY AND TELL US THE NAME OF THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP THAT TOLD YOU TO GO AWAY !

WHY IS EVERYONE SHOUTING?

1 hour ago, ron1953 said:

has anybody else had this problem

Just about everyone who's had diamond cut wheels on any car ever. Ridiculous fashion. Have a proper go at the dealer, get Lexus to pay and hopefully manufacturers will come to their senses.

• Haha 1

Hi royoftherovers

Thanks for such a quick reply

The dealer is STEVENEAGELL @ RAYLEIGH WEIR ESSEX

Speak to Mark Island dealer principal. Good luck. 

• Like 1

the dealer  told me he had spoke to the lexus warranties and they said they had know other

complaints about the wheels , so they would not be prepared to do anything .

The dealer is pulling your plonker, ask to speak with the dealer principal not some muppet on the phone. 

My car was fitted with nissokku wheels when I bought it from lexus at 6 months old, a £3000 option new. After two years the lacquer was flaking off and at the annual service I asked them to look at the wheels and advise me what they could do. They spoke to lexus and replaced the wheels. Two years later the same was happening but this time they said they couldn't source new wheels but would refurbish them. Two years on and the paint is coming off again. I find this is the only weakness I have found with my car.

Hi everyone thanks for your. Reply’s

Again if anyone has had problems please tell me , I’m sure this 

will help me when going back to the dealership and showing them the 

response from the Lexus Owner ‘s Club

Thanks again ron1953 ( Ron )

Take it to the dealer. Chances are they'll replace the wheels within warranty period.

However, yours are diamond cut wheels and unfortunately this will happen again - no manufacturer with diamond cut wheels is yet to cure lacquer bonding issues. Simple fact of the matter is that lacquer does not bond well to bare metal.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, royoftherovers said:

I THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD A LOAD OF COBBLERS.

Lacquer peeling is a well known TOYOTA/LEXUS PROBLEM. INSIST THAT IT IS TREATED UNDER THE 3 YEARS MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY AND TELL US THE NAME OF THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP THAT TOLD YOU TO GO AWAY !

^^ This is utter BS by the way. Lexus of old used to suffer with corrosion issues, we're talking pre-2013 models. Most wheels that have come out on a Lexus from 2013 onwards providing they are not diamond cut or a special finish have been very durable. Ive had 3 since, no corrosion even when they've had kerb nicks

• Like 1

I had diamond cut wheels on my 03 plate IS200 and the wheels on that would only last about 2 years before corrosion set in again. Prestige Wheels in Milton Keynes use to charge about £ 100 a wheel to refurb  Gave up in the end and after 13 years of ownership the wheels looked a disgrace. Ashamed to be seen in the car. Poor testimony  to the Lexus brand. .

I don't understand your criticism of the lexus brand. Agree that cars from the factory of old had a problem but my latest GS from 2014 does not have the issues I had with my 2007 IS. Your problem seems to be with prestige wheels! I had my is wheels refurbished and had no problems after about 5 years.

Hi there 

I’m not criticising the brand, the car I love the mileage figures not as quoted ??.

But all companies do the same it’s called test bed figures.

Yes you are right it’s the wheels , No one expects a car only 2 years old for 

the wheels to start corroding , especially a LEXUS .

why should I pay out approximately £400/500 pounds to have them refurbished 

on a car 2 years old costing over £40,000 !

The wheels look lovely, but in reality the lacquer finish   Allows The water to get  underneath and start  corroding  the Alloy  Wheels making them look horrible  ! .

Is it down to some Wheel cleaners, I've been told by my Wheel refurbishers, these Scratch and Shine merchants use a very Acidic wheel cleaner, and they recommended Bit Hamber wheel cleaner. Seems to win Awards! 

• Like 1

The issue is as mentioned above. Diamond cut alloys are not fit for purpose as all manufacturers suffer the same issue. You can only get them refurbished a couple of times at best so the best thing to do would be to get them powder coated or sprayed.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, leelacey17 said:

The issue is as mentioned above. Diamond cut alloys are not fit for purpose as all manufacturers suffer the same issue. You can only get them refurbished a couple of times at best so the best thing to do would be to get them powder coated or sprayed.

Thanks everybody for such a great response 

All I can say is when I brought the car and no time I was told that I had to use the special cleaner on the wheels otherwise they would corrode within a matter of years 

The dealer now has told me to go straight to Lexus Customer Relations regarding this problem I told them I was more than willing to pay some money towards getting the wheels refurbished with a full powder coat so that this problem wouldn’t re-occur 

They said to give them a couple of days to look into the matter with the dealer and they would get back to me I will keep you updated again many thanks 

Ron1953(Ron)

If this is a problem as it seems to be with all diamond cut wheels maybe  The manufacturers should come up with a solution 

Only a few days ago I see a program where they had the wheels powder coated all over and then use that of wrapping to create the look of diamond cut wheels on the edges 

Maybe this is what the manufacturers should be looking at to solve the problem and still make the car look nice 

ron1953(Ron)

In all fairness certain wheel cleaners such as the highly concentrated ones at local car washes will ruin painted wheels not just diamond cut ones.

There are so many people suffering with this issue even on wheels that have been coated in protective coatings although these can help. Good luck with it and if the dealer will support look for a really nice colour for the wheels.

What colour is the car?

It’s a  metallic white 

And I take great care in the condition of all of the cars that I’ve had as you can see I’ve fitted aftermarket body protectors as I feel they are better than the manufacturers they give more protect protection especially in car parks 

This is  why I’m so concerned about the condition of the wheels I would like to think that Lexus would like their cars to look good in years to come I’m not driving around with loads of corrosion on the wheels and bodywork 

I like to think that by us keeping the car is clean and nice looking it’s a good advertisement for Lexus 

ron1953(Ron)

08B34F05-CF7B-4C3D-89A4-D28E3BE35999.jpeg

And by the way I hear what you say about carwashes but I never use a car wash I always clean my car by hand  because  in the past I’ve had  my car is scratched  by them .

2 hours ago, ron1953 said:

Thanks everybody for such a great response 

All I can say is when I brought the car and no time I was told that I had to use the special cleaner on the wheels otherwise they would corrode within a matter of years 

The dealer now has told me to go straight to Lexus Customer Relations regarding this problem I told them I was more than willing to pay some money towards getting the wheels refurbished with a full powder coat so that this problem wouldn’t re-occur 

They said to give them a couple of days to look into the matter with the dealer and they would get back to me I will keep you updated again many thanks 

Ron1953(Ron)

I don't think it's the wheel cleaner. Usually if it's a wheel cleaner it'd also affect the painted parts. 

Stone chips are usually what causes this type of corrosion on diamond cut wheels