Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I now suspect that my drop links are getting due for replacement, as  get the thunk when dropping off speed humps at 20-25mph, and the odd thunk when going over smaller potholes in the road, and the vibration at 30mph upwards is quite noticeable.

I had new front  tie bars fitted 50,000 ago.  The old lady now at 203,000 (but apart from suspension rumbles, running sweet as a nut)

My question is this:  Are Tie bars different to Drop Links, and when replacing Drop links is going OEM any better, or should I just get my garage to use whatever is available? (not sure if I wil luse Osaka in Newport or my local chap (who is pretty good for most things)

One other question: If drop links replaced does that mean best to get full re-alignment done?

If my understanding is correct, a Tie Bar is generally an aftermarket fitment to brace the lower suspension. A Tie Rod forms part of the steering linkage and it's usually the ball and socket joint that wears. A drop link connects the anti roll bar to the lower suspension at either end. Two at the front and two at the rear. They are usually cheap and easy to replace and often the first suspension component to wear out, in my experience. Ask Lexus for a price and use that as a benchmark for alternatives.

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

A drop link connects the anti roll bar to the lower suspension at either end.

That helps, not sure why Osaka would not have picked up Drop Link wear problem, as they renewed ARB bushes back on June this year (which has help with wife not feeling so sick on long drives).

As Phil above says drop links will not affect in any way the steering geometry. This would also apply to the anti roll bar, and it's bushes. Virtually ever other suspension component can or will upset the alignment if replaced, and in some circumstance even removed, and re-fitted. New wheel bearings will not affect alignment.

John.

• Like 1

You could try this site for genuine items:

amayama.com

There are plenty on eBay, but I can't vouch for the quality.

Worn drop links are unlikely to cause a vibration though, in my experience.

4 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Worn drop links are unlikely to cause a vibration though, in my experience.

This is what others have said, but it it the clunking that will need sorting (at some point)

I am actually suspecting my tyres as being a major contributor to the problem, so my plan is to replace the tyres (get alignment sorted) and if there is still vibration, work out what it is.

Likely to be getting Chris Mullins in Glos to do the tyres, so can get their chaps to give suspension a good poke to see if anything looks likely to be problem.

Just been quoted £350 all four fitted (Kuhmo Ecsta - most people on other forums give them a fair rating), so need to get booked in.

when my front drop links were replaced ( quite recently ) the Lexus parts were stupid money so my indy used a factor for good replacements at about a 3rd of the price ( it's on here somewhere ) BUT they could only supply one side, the other was forever out of stock ..  so he had two of the same side, cut and welded too make a useful pair and fitted them ok

and the clunking stopped too

Malc

15 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I would be getting the pry bar into the Lower Ball Joints and Upper Control Arm ball joints as these are the main wear items.

Osaka gave them a clean bill of health a few months back, so my plan is get all four new tyres fitted next weekend and then see where we are.

From comments made it seems like not the drop links causing vibration, the tie bar and ARB are all sorted, and I have all new OEM disc/pads, so if after tyre fitting I am still getting vibration, be time to visit Osaka for another poke about.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links