Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving through water

The other day I was running an errand through Croydon and there were some flooded roads, I'd guess maybe 4-5 inches of water or so in some places. I didn't have much choice but to drive through it slowly.

I can live with the wheel bearings going out at some point but how severe is the risk of transmission damage? I'm hoping that an RX is high enough that the risk is minimal.

• Like 1

I live in a village that is between two rivers within 3 miles either way. In the winter it is common for these to flood the roads for a distance of 300 yards or more. I used to drive my Prius through the floods in EV mode, and had no problems, reaching 150k miles before selling the car.
I now have a GS450H, and I am much more wary of driving through floods because there is no EV mode in the GS.

John.

I would rather drive an extra 5-10 miles than drive through any water deeper than tyre/kerb depth, cause you will kick yourself if afterwards there is a problem and I think you will find it won't be covered on insurance ( there I said it, the word, starts all sorts of banter on Internet forums does that word!)

paul m.

Well I suggest all the snowflakes go buy a land rover with a big plastic snorkel on .or better still sell your car and take the bus .it rains in this country and stop panicking over a few inches off water .

42 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

Well I suggest all the snowflakes go buy a land rover with a big plastic snorkel on .or better still sell your car and take the bus .it rains in this country and stop panicking over a few inches off water .

When I was in the police on nights one cold and wet Christmas Eve the River Severn flooded. I was in an unmarked Land Rover inside a road closure area. Some dipstick in an Audi A6 thought it would be a clever idea to ignore the road closure, drove around the barriers and signs and past me without noticing the house in front of me had water half way up the front door and that the water was up to my door bottoms (as I had not gone in any deeper). 

The water was half way up his windows when he stopped. 

The AA recovery arrived 4 hours later. Merry Christmas.. 🎅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

I believe the OP was asking a genuine question. Too much lager shandy this evening?

On 10/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, m4rkw said:

I can live with the wheel bearings going out at some point but how severe is the risk of transmission damage? I'm hoping that an RX is high enough that the risk is minimal.

I've never come across either of those problems in relation to driving through a few inches of water. As others have mentioned I think the real danger is it reaching your air intake but again as others have said I think that's extremely unlikely in an RX. Thinking about it the intakes have been sensibly placed in all the Lexus I have experience of.

• Haha 1

Interesting vid that and at times the rear wheels were spinning so more appropriate tyres likely to have given better result. Had a look at at a Rav 4 whilst at Lexus Cheltenham. recently. It has a bigger boot than the Lexus equivalent and seems a pretty good package but a lot of hard plastic inside and was disappointed by the trim.  Fortunately our roads are not yet like 'trails' but moving that way in some parts!  Reassuring that driven properly hybrids can cope with minor floods but there are limits lol.  

On 10/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, m4rkw said:

I checked the transmission fluid and it doesn’t look milky so hopefully i’m ok.

Why would you think water could get in?

If water could get in, tranny fluid could get out, but unless you're topping it up every week I don't think it's escaping so you'll be fine.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, Herbie said:

Why would you think water could get in?

If water could get in, tranny fluid could get out, but unless you're topping it up every week I don't think it's escaping so you'll be fine.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/298

How high up is the transmission vent?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Dorset we have many flooded roads, many with up to 12" water perhaps more (never got out of car with tape measure!!) and mostly that water is sitting on quite a few inches of mud/farm manure. Never a problem yet but there again; drive accordingly. I don't crawl through but at the same time don't try to get water over the bonnet and winsdscreen.

I thought the intension of a SUV was a comfortable off roader Land Rover! The early Range rovers were great and so far RX300 seems OK.

• 3 years later...

Chatting tonight with a chum who has a Landrover Defender.  We were talking about depths of water for various vehicles to safely drive through.

Of course I realise that the RX could not possibly compete with off-roaders but he did mention that there should be a 'wading depth' mentioned in the vehicle spec/manual.

Anyone come across this or had any experience of safe high water in an RX (hybrid)? 🤔

I looked into this and found nothing other than the statement in the handbook that the RX is not designed for off road driving.

Personally I wouldn't drive through water that could potentially rise above the door sill 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have found reference from clublexus forum telling me that Lexus do not include "wade depths" in their specs or manuals.

So I've stopped looking ... 😄 .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links