Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing OEM screen with 10.25" touchscreen running on Android

I drive the Lexus is300H F-sport 2014 model, with mark levinson, OEM Nav and jogpad.

After a lot of research online I decided to upgrade my stock 2014 screen to an aftermarket 10.25" touchscreen running on Android. What a blessing this is! The new screen is so much better in many ways compared to the original screen. With this new screen+Android OS, you can do pretty much everything you could do on your mobile smartphone. The good thing is you can switch back and forth between the stock and Android OS. I have not tested every single option yet, but everything I do daily in my car (listen to radio, usb music, bleutooth phone, stock navigation, tracking hybrid info, etc) all seem to work as it should.

When flipping over to Android OS, you get a few standard apps, including play/google store, so basically you can install anything you want.

Sofar, I installed Sygic and waze for navigation. MX player to play videos, tried connecting to the internet to browse thru Chrome. All working fine.

Will continue to test more over the next few wks.

The things I do need to call out:

1. Wiring can be a challenge for those doing this installation first time. Its doable. I am no engineer and did it. Just take your time.
  2. Android sound need to be coming from the AUX source. Sound quality is not as good as OEM. In particular the bass is bad, but you can lower this on the equalizer so it becomes acceptable.
  3. Using the mouse/jogpad in Android OS is not perfect. It works, but just not as smooth as it should be. I prefer the touchscreen instead. Touchscreen does not work when in Lexus OS. Then the mouse/jogpad works perfectly fine.
  4. Screen does not mount on the original bracket and screws to hold it down. It only uses the pens to hold it in place. Good enough, but not as good as original.
  5. It's running on older Android OS. It works, no hiccups or whatsoever.

The good things:

1. Love the big screen!!
  2. Android OS - many apps!! Including navigation, carplay, etc
  3. Touchscreen is easy to use - like on your tablet.
  4. Love the big screen!! 😃

Specs:

1. Multi-language support
  2. Media support: JPEG, WMA, MP3, MP4
  3. Radiotune
  4. Touchscreen
  5. ROM = 32G
  6. RAM = 2G
  7. External mem = 128G
  8. Screen resolution = 1920*720
  9. Screen size: 10.25"
  10. Build in speaker/microphone
  11. WIFI support
  12. Steering control compatible
  13. Plug and play power
  14. Brand: NAVIRIDER
  15. OS = Android 7.1 Operating System
  16. CPU: Samsung octa core Cortex A53 Frequency up to 1.4 GHZ
  17. RAM: 2GB DDR3 RAM Memory
  18. ROM: Built In 32GB
  19. Amplifer IC: tda7388 amplifer IC
  20. Bluetooth : Bluetooth 4.0">Support Bluetooth 4.0

Android OS Lexus 01.jpg

Android OS Lexus 02.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, 200h said:

can you say where you purchased this item from and the make and part number

for any other members that maybe interested in changing screen.

aliexpress - search under "lexus is android". Brand is Navirider. There is no part number, it depends on your car set up, like do you have stock Navigation, dial knob or mouse or other?, Mark levinson or not? Seller should ask you these questions, so be aware.

25 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Is the screen comfortably in reach if it's operated by touch?

Feels like an Android Auto / Apple Car system would be better.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

yes it is in reach when you lean forward a bit. I dont have long arms, but can reach, not recommended while driving though, but than your steering control work just fine.

Android Auto / apple Car will run on this system as well. I purchased the dongle, but havent tested Android Auto yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrunoLeal said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

I paid approx Euro 650,- including shipping. excluding customs/tax. This may go up or down, dependent on your set up and seller offering the package.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexusmoon said:

I paid approx Euro 650,- including shipping. excluding customs/tax. This may go up or down, dependent on your set up and seller offering the package.

Thanks. It's not cheap, but looks great!!! Well done!!!

I've done this also, can vouch for navirider, in my opinion it transforms the car, as this was the main thing lacking in the car. I love the full size screen. Big bonus for was it made adding a reverse camera very simple and it looks better than oem, as the parking sensors are still shown at the same time next to the reverse image. You also get the steering lines on the screen. You can also go for the full panaramic view around the car if you install a camera at the front and under the wing mirrors. Not looked at that yet. Just installed 2x 6x9s on the rear shelf plus a removable sub in the boot. Just a couple of things to finish off for that oem look.... Other than a set of 18in or 19in wheels then my perfect is300h is done.... Lol

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Woo looks fab, will really make our IS feel updated.

Can I clarify the OEM controls work still, and you can still access the stock menus?

yes and yes. Even the steering control works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrunoLeal said:

@lexusmoon or @Inazone can any of you share the mounting instructions so I can evaluate if I can do it myself? 🙂

Before you try this: Know you try this at your own risk. Dont point fingers at me should anything go wrong. I am just a "member" here sharing my own experience.

Follow instructions in this youtube video to demount your center console and screen. Watch up to 3min40sec. No need to remove the glovebox. Start vid from 5min15sec again to see how to remove the connectors on the back of the audio system. DO NOT FOLLOW the instructions on how to connect the cables, as the video is meant for beatsonic carplay.

Tip: Make a picture of the BEFORE you unplug the cables first so you can be reminded which one goes where. 

Do not unplug all original cables from the back of the audio system, as only a few need to be "replaced".

Compare new set of connectors with original connectors to see which one need to be unplugged and extended. Once determined, unplug the original connector from the audio system and put in the same "new" connnector in the same plug. The other end of the new cable should have the opposite connector (male or female) so the original connector be reconnected.

Few of the other end of the new cables (I believe 3 cables - video cable, gps, micropohone/speaker) need to be channeled through the back of the audio system to the upper part of the dashboard so it can reach your screen. The channel to pass thru this will be limited, but what helped is I unplugged the bezel around the speedometer (just clips holding it in), so I had more space to pass thru the wiring.

The system I bought does not use the original bracket which holds the stock screen. so I just clipped in to the area and it has been holding it pretty firm.

There is one brown connector behind the screen which ended up not being used. Not sure what the brown connector was for, but there has been no issues identified by not plugging it. Seems like it is not needed for the new screen.

Once done, test your system by starting up your car. If all works, congratz!

Hope this helps. Sorry I dont have pics on this, as I wasn't thinking of creating a "how to" in the first place.

Good luck to those trying this out!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, lexusmoon said:

I drive the Lexus is300H F-sport 2014 model, with mark levinson, OEM Nav and jogpad.

After a lot of research online I decided to upgrade my stock 2014 screen to an aftermarket 10.25" touchscreen running on Android. What a blessing this is! The new screen is so much better in many ways compared to the original screen. With this new screen+Android OS, you can do pretty much everything you could do on your mobile smartphone. The good thing is you can switch back and forth between the stock and Android OS. I have not tested every single option yet, but everything I do daily in my car (listen to radio, usb music, bleutooth phone, stock navigation, tracking hybrid info, etc) all seem to work as it should.

When flipping over to Android OS, you get a few standard apps, including play/google store, so basically you can install anything you want.

Sofar, I installed Sygic and waze for navigation. MX player to play videos, tried connecting to the internet to browse thru Chrome. All working fine.

Will continue to test more over the next few wks.

The things I do need to call out:

1. Wiring can be a challenge for those doing this installation first time. Its doable. I am no engineer and did it. Just take your time.
  2. Android sound need to be coming from the AUX source. Sound quality is not as good as OEM. In particular the bass is bad, but you can lower this on the equalizer so it becomes acceptable.
  3. Using the mouse/jogpad in Android OS is not perfect. It works, but just not as smooth as it should be. I prefer the touchscreen instead. Touchscreen does not work when in Lexus OS. Then the mouse/jogpad works perfectly fine.
  4. Screen does not mount on the original bracket and screws to hold it down. It only uses the pens to hold it in place. Good enough, but not as good as original.
  5. It's running on older Android OS. It works, no hiccups or whatsoever.

The good things:

1. Love the big screen!!
  2. Android OS - many apps!! Including navigation, carplay, etc
  3. Touchscreen is easy to use - like on your tablet.
  4. Love the big screen!! 😃

Specs:

1. Multi-language support
  2. Media support: JPEG, WMA, MP3, MP4
  3. Radiotune
  4. Touchscreen
  5. ROM = 32G
  6. RAM = 2G
  7. External mem = 128G
  8. Screen resolution = 1920*720
  9. Screen size: 10.25"
  10. Build in speaker/microphone
  11. WIFI support
  12. Steering control compatible
  13. Plug and play power
  14. Brand: NAVIRIDER
  15. OS = Android 7.1 Operating System
  16. CPU: Samsung octa core Cortex A53 Frequency up to 1.4 GHZ
  17. RAM: 2GB DDR3 RAM Memory
  18. ROM: Built In 32GB
  19. Amplifer IC: tda7388 amplifer IC
  20. Bluetooth : Bluetooth 4.0">Support Bluetooth 4.0

Android OS Lexus 01.jpg

Android OS Lexus 02.jpg

I've installed mine, unfortunately I ordered a different unit, I did want the one from Erica Tan or same as yours. 

Mine doesn't show car information on the right, instead a clock which isn't always correct, I've changed to mph so the dashboard says it mph but it's actually kph.

My remaining miles shows up on the right hand, but when on lexus screen the right side shows it in kph.

Aux sound is terrible unusable, so have to use BT and there is also a delay, this has also stopped me from linking my phone to the car for calls.

Some time on my cluster the nav will stop, this in the past use to help for speed cam warnings, when this doesn't show it also stops displaying which audio am in, eg aux, bt, dab.

I've contacted seller but nothing has been done, I've noticed a feed back on his page form last year which and he responded to the seller about a possible update, I've asked the seller for a refund but he says he'll try for a update. 

Alibaba don't except PayPal and I've been told its hard to get your money back, if a fix isn't done nor a refund in the next week I'll be telling everyone to avoid.

I know the mxc and navi radier for the lexus are good units. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 2:03 AM, Sho said:

I've installed mine, unfortunately I ordered a different unit, I did want the one from Erica Tan or same as yours. 

Mine doesn't show car information on the right, instead a clock which isn't always correct, I've changed to mph so the dashboard says it mph but it's actually kph.

My remaining miles shows up on the right hand, but when on lexus screen the right side shows it in kph.

Aux sound is terrible unusable, so have to use BT and there is also a delay, this has also stopped me from linking my phone to the car for calls.

Some time on my cluster the nav will stop, this in the past use to help for speed cam warnings, when this doesn't show it also stops displaying which audio am in, eg aux, bt, dab.

I've contacted seller but nothing has been done, I've noticed a feed back on his page form last year which and he responded to the seller about a possible update, I've asked the seller for a refund but he says he'll try for a update. 

Alibaba don't except PayPal and I've been told its hard to get your money back, if a fix isn't done nor a refund in the next week I'll be telling everyone to avoid.

I know the mxc and navi radier for the lexus are good units. 

So the android screen to avoid is the kanor android screen.

I've noticed on alibaba they do different units for different makes and models, I hope people who want to buy one can see this as a review and stay away from the Kanor Android Screen, for Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Toyota and deferent universal screen and speaker upgrade.

They have been sending me "update" which does nothing and evertime it's they make it sound am not doing it right, they sent me 8 deferent files for deferent fixes and none of the updates works, I bought brand new usb memory sticks twice as Kanor said the sticks are corrupt, I used all the computers in the house and some in work for the old files to download again.

KANOR don't refund your money, expensive units which needs a major research with the help of users.

I hope Kanor sees this message, I hope some other lexus owners come and sure their views.

I have fixed the sound issue which am not going to share, I don't want anyone buying one. Anyone who has bought one before I put this message, I can message you privately.

• 2 months later...

It seems that there are a few models to choose from. Cheaper ones with lower memory and slower processor, lower storage, and older Android versions... But I found this one. Ain't cheap, but it's better to get something that you will be happy with if investing the time and hassle.

And I found this video that explains pretty nice how to install it on your own. It is a different model, but procedure seems be the same right?
@lexusmoon - can you tell us was the procedure of the installation pretty much the same?

I think Lexusmoon explained it already in his post above. The video you link to appears to be the one he originally  refers to as well where he provides details on what parts to focus on.

3 hours ago, TMHD said:

It seems that there are a few models to choose from. Cheaper ones with lower memory and slower processor, lower storage, and older Android versions... But I found this one. Ain't cheap, but it's better to get something that you will be happy with if investing the time and hassle.

And I found this video that explains pretty nice how to install it on your own. It is a different model, but procedure seems be the same right?
@lexusmoon - can you tell us was the procedure of the installation pretty much the same?

Looks like a similar system to the kanor iu, stay away. I know from the iu you wouldn't be able to change kph to mph, it's highly possible on high volume you will get a static noise. You won't know what volume your on. On your dash cluster you will not be able to radio information in sat nav, g sensor. Remaining fuel will always be wrong. One easy fix would be to have reverse camera screen stretched also the ngt screen. But kanor can't do this. 

• 2 years later...

Hi. As the sound from the Android unit goes through aux, am i right in assuming factory dab radio, cd etc cant be used if wanting to hear sat nav directions from google maps etc on the Android unit?