Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've put the recently bought  55 reg GS300 on the road at the start of the month.  On Thursday about an hour into our away day the TPMS light came on. I googled/youtubed and there was varied answers so I went to my local tyre fitters and they checked the pressures, all 28 psi so put 32 psi in. I went home and pressed the reset button hidden under the dash (found it using a mirror, no bendy backs for me).  Applied the parking brake pressed the start button without pressing the foot brake to bring up the dash lights, pressed and held the reset button till the light flashed slowly 3 times and released it but no joy.  There was no indication on the screen and I thought there would be. I've tried a few times and drove about 5 miles but still no joy. Should there be any info showing on the screen or any other methods to switch off the tyre light.  I feel I'm missing something or not going through the correct procedure.  4 same make tyres (Landsail) on the car and in very good condition.  If there's a fault with a sensor does he tyre have to be removed to replace or can the guts be taken out and replaced.  Thanks.  Jim      

The sensor batteries sadly don't last for ever and they're not generally replaceable, although I believe it's possible, I think there's info on the forum. Either way the tyre will need to come off.  I'm not sure if a basic code reader will tell you which one (ones) are at fault.

Didn't know batteries were involved (where are they) .  I'll look on the forum and I have a basic code reader, £10 one, so may try it.  Thanks. 

11 hours ago, 39buss said:

Didn't know batteries were involved (where are they) .  I'll look on the forum and I have a basic code reader, £10 one, so may try it.  Thanks. 

The Battery is built into the sensor, all part of the tyre valve assembly.  I believe Lexus ones are something like £80 each!

Tpms warehouse charge about £45 each. If you could get the faulty one off and exchange it for a normal valve temporarily you could read the id code and get them to clone it. When refitted it shouldn't then need programming into the system

• Like 1

Phil & Bob,    I did a bit more research today and found out about the Battery being moulded into the valve body and then needing re-programming.  I'll need to find out which one is faulty so I'll visit the local tyre fitters tomorrow. This is all new to me as it's my first car with TPMS so be patient but getting well informed on here as usual.  Page 116 gives the procedure to reset the system which I've done and I get the pressure initial message but the light is staying on. Check system, tyre light blinks,master warning light is on. I'll try TPMS warehouse and go from there.  On a USA site I did come across a "solution" where as a wire on the orange tpms ecu is disconnected and cut and another wire some insulation is removed and the two wires spliced together. I would need to have another look to see which colour wires are involved.   Thanks    

• Like 1

I've  looked on TPMS Warehouse and it seems ok so will call them as soon as I can diagnose the fault. It looks like I'll have to go to Lexus Newcastle. My trusty regular garage man can't recognise the codes on his Snap-On equipment. He thinks it may be because of the cars age. I certainly don't fancy faffing on doing a wiring bypass or Battery removal.   

Be careful with so called programmable non OEM tyre monitors as many people on LOC have found them to be unreliable. It would be worthwhile buying a Mini VCI with Techstreem to sort this out as this will be cheaper than the dealer checking the TPMS out, and you will then have dealer level of diagnostics at hand for future use. Techstreem shows the monitor serial number, the ability to change it , the actual tyre pressure, the tyre temperature, and the Battery condition in the monitor.
Replacing the batteries in the monitors does not require the car to be reprogrammed. This should only be required where new monitors are fitted. The code is written on each monitor, and has to be entered into the cars system via Techstreem or similar as they are fitted.

John.

• Like 1

John,   that's great info.  "Techstream  shows the monitor serial number, the ability to change it , the actual tyre pressure, the tyre temperature, and the Battery condition in the monitor".  I assume it also diagnoses the faulty sensors as well.    I was looking on youtube  this afternoon and a USA site came up showing the "Well's Stand Alone Diagnostic" hand held kit which does exactly what you say.  Where can I get one of these and how much are they. I'll do a search for  Mini VCI with Techstream and see what comes up.   It's all very mysterious to me but thanks to all for your help.  Jim.   

32 minutes ago, 39buss said:

John,   that's great info.  "Techstream  shows the monitor serial number, the ability to change it , the actual tyre pressure, the tyre temperature, and the battery condition in the monitor".  I assume it also diagnoses the faulty sensors as well.    I was looking on youtube  this afternoon and a USA site came up showing the "Well's Stand Alone Diagnostic" hand held kit which does exactly what you say.  Where can I get one of these and how much are they. I'll do a search for  Mini VCI with Techstream and see what comes up.   It's all very mysterious to me but thanks to all for your help.  Jim.   

Jim.
The VCI with Techstreem can be bought on eBay for £20 or less. It does require a laptop or even a PC to display the information. When buying make sure the version you are buying is compatible with your system either the early Windows XP 32bit or the later Windows 7/8/10 64bit as the drivers are different. I use an old XP laptop that I can carry out to the car without the worry of damage. These are available on line for about £30 upwards if you do not already have a suitable machine. It will not work on apple, and Android devices, but even if you have to buy a laptop, and the VCI it's less than half the price of one dealer diagnostic session.
It is the same full diagnostic system that the dealer uses having the ability to read all codes on all system, and clear them. It will work on all Lexus / Toyota / Scion Vehicles.

John.

Jim.
I did a write up on how to change the Battery in the sensors for pennies each. Go to the GS section, and go to page 4 on the red line the near the bottom of the page click on the post "TPMS system fault". It gives with pictures what you need to do, and what batteries to buy. It is not difficult to do, and you have nothing to loose.
The Landsail tyres you have a so called budget tyres. However do not be put off by this they are excellent low noise, very good wet grip, and good fuel economy low rolling resistance tyres.
Many here on LOC do not like unknown brands "there prerogative", but there are some really good value tyres now on the market. A few years ago names like Hankook suffered the same problems, but are now fitted to BMW, and Audi 

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John,  I did have a look on eBay and there's a UK seller stating the latest tech,newest version so I'll go with him.  I was going to ask if you had this kit and now I know and I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7.  The tyres were on the car when I bought it but it drives straight and very smoooooth and quiet. I feel I'm getting there.  Jim 

Just read your post on page 4 and very informative.  Well done to you and all the other contributors. This what keeps this forum so good.  When I had my BMW E39 5 series 2000 reg ignition key Battery replaced ( the case is factory sealed so it was sent away) the new Battery was of the tagged type, which I hadn't seen before.  I'll look for the receipt as that company may be a source of batteries to suit the GS. 

• Like 1

I went to Kwikfit this morning and they charge £35 (they charged me £30 ) to read all wheel sensors with a hand held device and 3 are showing faults  "NO TPMS".  They charge £90 a wheel to replace the sensors.  I would think that's  dearer than Lexus.  I can only assume that one went off and two more followed suit in the couple of weeks since. On the trip when it first showed I did go over a few cattle grids. Maybe something was dislodged. Am I clutching here??.  Plan "B". Buy a Lexus wheel and have ago at changing the batteries one by one.  I'm only using this car this month and I'm going back to my other one so no sweat. 

16 hours ago, 39buss said:

Just read your post on page 4 and very informative.  Well done to you and all the other contributors. This what keeps this forum so good.  When I had my BMW E39 5 series 2000 reg ignition key battery replaced ( the case is factory sealed so it was sent away) the new battery was of the tagged type, which I hadn't seen before.  I'll look for the receipt as that company may be a source of batteries to suit the GS. 

www.keyfobrepair.co.uk          Crescent Radio Ltd,  21c Green Lanes,  Palmers Green,  London,  N13 4TT  Tel.  02088897593

3 hours ago, 39buss said:

I went to Kwikfit this morning and they charge £35 (they charged me £30 ) to read all wheel sensors with a hand held device and 3 are showing faults  "NO TPMS".  They charge £90 a wheel to replace the sensors.  I would think that's  dearer than Lexus.  I can only assume that one went off and two more followed suit in the couple of weeks since. On the trip when it first showed I did go over a few cattle grids. Maybe something was dislodged. Am I clutching here??.  Plan "B". Buy a Lexus wheel and have ago at changing the batteries one by one.  I'm only using this car this month and I'm going back to my other one so no sweat. 

You do not need to buy a Lexus wheel.
Go t o your nearest small tyre fitter "not quick ripoff". Ask them to replace the tyre monitors on the wheels you wish to work on with standard rubber valves "I would do all four". They do not need to take the tyre off to do this. Just break the bead on the valve side of the wheel, undo the outer nut that holds the monitor valve in place, remove the monitor valve, and replace with a standard rubber valve. the tyres can then be re-inflated no need to balance since the tyre has not moved on the wheel.
You can now use the car, and repair the monitors at your leisure. Spray the outside of the valve monitor nuts with WD40 the day before you do this. This will stop the top of the valve possibly breaking off when undoing the nut. You can if you wish slacken off the nut half a turn then re-tighten to the same position. 

When the monitors are repaired do the same again to re-fit them. My friendly tyre dealer did this for £5 a wheel including the rubber valve. The car will not require the monitors to be programmed because they are already registered. Nor does it matter which wheel the monitors go in, but if you keep a record "a note in the handbook" of which registration number is in which wheel if you use Techstream it will tell you which wheel has a problem in the future. If you change wheels round do not forget to alter your note accordingly.

Your total cost should be no more than £6 or £7 per wheel including batteries.

John

Many Battery supply companies will add tags to batteries if asked. The company you list may do this. If not there are many suppliers on eBay that will at minimal cost or even free.
The wheels take a battering in normal life. This does not affect the TPMS. Since they were all fitted at the same time it is likely they will all fail reasonably close together time wise.

John.

The Mini VCI / Techstream arrived this weekend and I'll get it on the  laptop tomorrow. I only hope I can fiddle my way through it successfully.  I had the sensors removed today and managed to replace 3 batteries with Energizer 2450 lithium. The working sensor is an after market type and looks new so I'm not going to bother doing it. The batteries are a good fit when the sensors are reassembled so contact should be ok.  Costs so far....Kwikfit £30.....Tyres....£20....Batteries.....£10 for 4. Thanks for all the info, a bit fiddly for me as I've not done anything like this before.  

Photo of after market sensor. This is how it came out of the wheel.  It's not cleaned up.

014.jpg

011.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 39buss said:

I can't open the Techstream disc supplied with the cable so I've left messages for the seller and hope he contacts me to resolve the problem soon.

I had to get a techy friend to install mine but over a year later I still can't get it to work!  Others have worked it out easily enough though.

My version can read data but cannot write to the car ECUs. From other posts, this behaviour appears to be because the mini-VCI software is only V1.4 whereas 2.X is required to be able to update the car. 

I have investigated Carista and this is claimed to be able to update TPMS registrations on the car and works from your phone.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, Britprius said:

You do not need to buy a Lexus wheel.
Go t o your nearest small tyre fitter "not quick ripoff". Ask them to replace the tyre monitors on the wheels you wish to work on with standard rubber valves "I would do all four". They do not need to take the tyre off to do this. Just break the bead on the valve side of the wheel, undo the outer nut that holds the monitor valve in place, remove the monitor valve, and replace with a standard rubber valve. the tyres can then be re-inflated no need to balance since the tyre has not moved on the wheel.
You can now use the car, and repair the monitors at your leisure. Spray the outside of the valve monitor nuts with WD40 the day before you do this. This will stop the top of the valve possibly breaking off when undoing the nut. You can if you wish slacken off the nut half a turn then re-tighten to the same position. 

When the monitors are repaired do the same again to re-fit them. My friendly tyre dealer did this for £5 a wheel including the rubber valve. The car will not require the monitors to be programmed because they are already registered. Nor does it matter which wheel the monitors go in, but if you keep a record "a note in the handbook" of which registration number is in which wheel if you use Techstream it will tell you which wheel has a problem in the future. If you change wheels round do not forget to alter your note accordingly.

Your total cost should be no more than £6 or £7 per wheel including batteries.

John

@Britprius

Hi John,

Wondered if I could ask a question please....

I recently invested in Techstream and a Mini-VCI cable. I connected to the car fine and can see all the information.

With regards to TPMS, am I right in saying that it's possible to view the voltage (i.e. the remaining Battery life) for each sensor? If so, where is this information held please? I looked at the TPMS readouts but couldn't see anything obvious.

Also, the ID codes for each sensor are only labelled 1 through 4. Is it possible to work out which sensor relates to which wheel?

Thanks in anticipation.

On the NX, it is not possible to identify which wheel is which. You just get a warning message and you need to check out which tyre is low yourself. This is because Lexus recommends rotating wheels round on the car to equalise wear (see handbook). This would obviously confuse the system or cost you a fortune in TPMS reprogramming.

Of course, nobody actually does this...

Check out my post earlier about the limitations of some mini-VCI connectors.

Regarding the TPMS sensor Battery status, I don't think you can see this on Techstream. Some of the other tools (Bartec, Autel etc.) do seem to give a Battery OK output.

• Like 1

The seller has sent me a new disc. It doesn't work in my laptop but does in the PC.  I'm taking it to the PC shop tomorrow to have the disc loaded as I can see it's going to save me a load of frustration time.  Whether I can use it is another matter.  I tried another TPMS person today to read my 3 x re-batteried sensors but his kit wouldn't read the codes.  He's going to look into it and get back.  The working OE-R sensor pictured above is £35 with programmable instructions inc.  That may be plan C.