Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member in Newcastle area

Seminole81

Hello everyone, I’m Steve and live in the Newcastle upon Tyne area. I’m originally from the States and moved here about 10 years ago to be with my now wife. I recently sold my hawkeye Subaru Impreza STi and picked up a silver 2006 Lexus IS220d (not sure of the official package, thinking SE?) with factory sat nav, leather heated/cooling seats (sadly grey interior and not black, but it was cheap and I was willing to be open/fluid enough to work with what was given), the Mark L. audio system, all on the cheap (under £1000) and I have to say, I’m impressed and pretty satisfied with it. Plus the MOT was until June 2020 with no faults or advisories, and quite a bit of service history with it as we’ll from new with the last 6 years having a service every few years instead of yearly. I made quite a bit of cash off the Subaru if I’m honest, and I’ve always liked my Japanese cars, but I don’t do loads of miles to work and didn’t really need anything ridiculous like what I did have with the Subaru. Anyways, for under £1000 I was really happy with getting something with leather heated seats and diesel and that was considered a more “luxury” car. I’ll apologise now for not having any other photos than the one I got from the Autotrader haha

Didn’t do too much research into them before buying (I probably should have by all accounts considering the horror stories I’ve read on here), but I wanted something a bit better on juice (the Subaru averaged a whopping 12 mpg on my short commute to work), and that my wife actually liked so we could use it on weekends when we do most of our running about. I’ve had it a week now, and I’m averaging about 37 mpg which I think is fantastic for a 2.2L diesel (my mother in law had a 2L Scenic that averaged about 28!). Sadly, I actually don’t have a massive commute to work, so again the no research before buying could be a bad thing here. But to be honest, if it lasts 2 years with minimal problems, I’ll be more than happy with it.

At any rate, I am happy with it. I love the way you kind of sink into the seat, and having a warm arse is lovely on the chilly mornings coming in haha.

Obviously for the price tag it does have some small issues. It’s got 186,000 miles on the clock, all of which are motorway. The previous owner did a lot of commuting between Newcastle and Liverpool. There’s some trolly rash on the rear passenger side bumper along with a cracked reflector. The front passenger quarter panel has a load of scratch marks on it, which I didn’t even notice when I was looking at the car originally, probably because it’s silver, but again, it was under £1000 for the car. The bonnet has a few areas where the paint is bubbling, probably from bird crap sitting too long on it by the looks of it. The headlamps have some yellow oxidation on them as well, but it should be easy enough to clear up. The alloys aren’t in the best condition and the interior is pretty worn and needs a good clean, plus the drivers seat has some damage to the leather I think. My biggest concern is there’s 2 small rust spots on the driver door that I want to get taken car of rather quick. Few other tiny bits and bobs that you’d expect with a “banger” car haha. I did notice I filled up with V Power diesel the other day (£84 total! But nearly 500 mile range compared to £65 to fill Subaru with 190 average miles to a tank!) that diesel seemed to be leaking out from somewhere, although I couldn’t find/see where.

Been scouring the internet since I bought it and came across the forum. Particularly loved the look of @Yorkie740 (I think)’s IS. Don’t think I’ll got crazy with mods or anything as it was only a £1000 car. Maybe if I end up keeping it then I would be tempted to throw a bit more money at it. So my immediate plans for the near future include the following:

Red out taillights via tint

Change to a white Headlamp bulb instead of yellow

Yellow tint on fog’s

Lexus LED puddle lights

Deep clean in interior

window tint (30% all around maybe?)

Fix the rust spots on door, possibly fix paint issues

hydrodip the interior pieces to the Lexus Woodgrain that I’ve seen on here to modernize the interior

respray alloys in a slightly darker colour than the standard silver to make it pop a bit more and update the car a bit mire.

Fix the annoying sound in makes from front passenger side (sounds like a loose drop link?) when it goes over bumps in road

update sat nav CD

investigate cruise control not working? May be trying to set it incorrectly though  

Potential long term:

Change to IS250 rear bumper/convert the 229d bumper to a 250 bumper and dual exit exhausts

Lowering springs/coil overs depending on if I keep it longer term and want to drop cash on it

Eventually maybe weld the diff and convert to a drift car

upgrade the whole sat nav unit

Change interior to black

front and rear lips (unless I go for the cheap £7 Indonesian rubber ones, which, I actually might do)

Little tuning time improve hp/torque, but depends on what it costs and the gains/disadvantages to it are.

7D5E0193-1053-44CB-BDCA-202500D13662.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hello Steve and welcome to the LOC.

A very nice informative first post.

I only mentioned on the forum the other day just how many IS220d models were for sale, far more than any other model and very cheap. I know they have become notorious for engine problems but the if you can find a half decent one at the right price still worth considering.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links