What I would say to be very careful of doing if buying it is to get tax on it ASP, do not drive off with it untaxed, any police car NR software will notify the police driver it's untaxed & it will be taken off the road there & then, so if buying it get there early enough to deal with DVLA that day.

1 hour ago, Greer said:

What I would say to be very careful of doing if buying it is to get tax on it ASP, do not drive off with it untaxed, any police car NR software will notify the police driver it's untaxed & it will be taken off the road there & then, so if buying it get there early enough to deal with DVLA that day.

And do not forget insurance !!

• Like 1

I think you are right Phil looks to be on coils not air

those imports are incredible value - I've just seen a 53 plate facelift with 37k miles advertised for 10K

on a side note who buys Nissan cubes?

14 hours ago, skyway said:

Just like mine in White, same year etc. but mine is a Uk Lexus LS 430, and I am told a rare colour, but of course ‘a wedding car’.I think at that price it is an excellent purchase and will give many trouble free years. Whilst white is sometimes difficult to keep clean, the upside is when it is clay barred and polished it does look stunning. No doubt some lucky person will buy, cheers, Roger

41 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Just like mine in White, same year etc. but mine is a Uk Lexus LS 430, and I am told a rare colour, but of course ‘a wedding car’.I think at that price it is an excellent purchase and will give many trouble free years. Whilst white is sometimes difficult to keep clean, the upside is when it is clay barred and polished it does look stunning. No doubt some lucky person will buy, cheers, Roger

Also I notice that although it's pre facelift it has a reversing camera. Also the JDM ones have wood everywhere instead of brushed aluminium.  

2 hours ago, Greer said:

You do like to scare people unnecessarily. Yes, you need to insure it but you still have the caveat of possession of the little green slip of the V5 which you can use to tax the vehicle at the nearest post office or DVLA place.  You can do it online but it really isn't necessary. The police have go better things to worry about than taking a just purchased car off of someone. The important thing is just purchased. If you continued to drive it around then yeah, you're likely to use it.  What you suggest is a complete waste of police resources which is why it will never happen.

1 hour ago, genius149 said:

The police have go better things to worry about than taking a just purchased car off of someone

They do not 'take' them to keep, they are taken to a pound, which is what pounds are for & it's not the police themselves who take the car it's parties authorized to do so by the police. Once an offence has been registered by computer into the police cars screen it is out of the officers discretion >BUT< it is not out of the courts discretion & they may well say something like ''Given all the circumstances we be lenient & impose a smaller penalty''.....or the court my say nothing & still only impose a smaller penalty than usual, or they might not.......on other words the courts have discretion.

3 hours ago, Greer said:

.on other words the courts have discretion.

and of course a thunderbolt might strike through the open sunroof and kill you just because it can :no2:

Malc

• Haha 1

so would they let you off if you were caught untaxed driving back from purchasing your car? or would they take a dim view since everything is now done online therefore  expect you to tax before driving off?

17 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

so would they let you off if you were caught untaxed driving back from purchasing your car? or would they take a dim view since everything is now done online therefore  expect you to tax before driving off?

In my experience no one would have an excuse as it's instantly doable. It is illegal so I'm guessing it's just not worth the risk.  When I bought my Celsior I used my phone to tax it in 5 minutes.

49 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

DVLA web site.....

It’s illegal to drive your vehicle until you’ve taxed it.

If you do not do anything

You’ll be fined £80 if you do not tax your vehicle or tell DVLA that it’s off the road. You’ll also have to pay for the time it was not taxed.

If you do not pay your fine on time your vehicle could be clamped or crushed, or your details passed to a debt collection agency.

Road tax ....  might it be that if you was purchasing a car privately that it would still have current road tax and if police check it would show still as being current ( until all had advised DVLA otherwise ), with no incentive for the seller to quickly tell the DVLA coz they do NOT get back part months value 

it's the insurance that's the killer issue surely

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Road tax ....  might it be that if you was purchasing a car privately that it would still have current road tax and if police check it would show still as being current ( until all had advised DVLA otherwise ),

(UK) If anyone buys any car from anyone the seller of the car is not longer the provable legal owner at the point he gives a receipt for payment (or free gift) and gets both signatures on section 8 of the V5 (log book). The provable owner of the car at that point is whoever bought or was given the car.

DVLA

Buying a vehicle

When you buy a vehicle, the tax or SORN doesn’t come with it. You’ll need to get new vehicle tax before using the vehicle.

You’ll need the reference number on your new keeper supplement (V5C/2).

You can also tax at your local Post Office® or by calling:

Telephone: 0300 123 4321

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Whatever you will decide to buy, please inspect the car very thoroughly and take her for long test drive. 45 minutes at least. 

LS430 is very reliable and comfortable car, but not without problems: make sure the radiator is fresh (gearbox coolant mod ideally), air suspension, steering motors and steering rack, brakes, rust, exhaust, ML speakers, air conditioning, bonnet struts, oi leaks, water leaks in the boot etc etc.. 

Also be vary of the fact that the mileage on these cars is very easy to alter. Not saying every seller is a fraudster, but i have seen my fair share of clocked LS430. 

Mileage is reduced just before MOT so pay attention to seats, pedals, steering wheel etc.. MOT history may be spotless nevertheless but this car ages really well. 

Someone posted white Celsior above with 36000 miles on the clock and drivers seat that's done 100k+  typical dodgy Jap import 

Also at this price point of £6000, You might aswell look at LS460. It's a buyers market, these cars are not easy to sell so you should knock at least 20% off asking price.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviator888 said:

Also at this price point of £6000, You might aswell look at LS460. It's a buyers market, these cars are not easy to sell so you should knock at least 20% off asking price.

then if this is pertinent you might also get a Ls600 for this sort of money too maybe

Malc

5 hours ago, Malc said:

then if this is pertinent you might also get a Ls600 for this sort of money too maybe

Malc

No need to be sarcastic.. i was recently looking for LS460 100k miles full history 2008 model. In the end, the owner was willing to let me have her for for less than the clocked white garbage posted above. I was very tempted but already had my eye on the 450h.