Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT failure disappointment.....no, anger !

Presented my 2013 RX450h to Lexus Cardiff today with 73,000 miles recorded.  In for an intermediate service and MOT (I have extended warranty so service at Lexus is required and MOT is included in warranty).

They failed it, reporting OSF inner brake pad at 1.5mm (Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects)).

The RX has covered fewer than 6,000 miles since its last service/MOT at Lexus Cardiff.  I expressed surprise that such a worn brake pad had not been reported as an advisory last time (ie wearing thin, please attend).  The receptionist Rachel was very nice, but had to involve her colleague to answer my technical queries.  Didn't get his name, but it was clear that he'd progressed to his position from off the tools.  He said it was quite possible that it had worn excessively in the last year due to a seized caliper.  I said I'd have felt that because the steering would have been pulling to the right (OS).  He denied that would be an effect !

I was offered replacement front pads at £296 with a further recommendation to replace the discs at the same time (worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened), no quotation given for that after my reaction to the £296 quote !

On my way home I called in to my trusty local independent Stuart.  Known and trusted him for 15 years or more and he looks after Mrs LedZep's car and my tyres, Battery etc.  He was flabbergasted that Lexus Cardiff had failed it for front pads !!!  I have it booked in with Stuart for Saturday morning for pads and MOT.  Haven't got a quote from him, I trust him.....he's not a "greedy b@st@rd !!!!"  Sorry for the long rant 😐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lexus Cheltenham charged me  around £275 for discs and pads recently (with my gold discount of 15%).

If there is a seized caliper surely that would be covered in your warranty? Suggest if you want to use Lexus you take a trip across the bridge 😊

46 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Lexus Cheltenham charged me  around £275 for discs and pads recently (with my gold discount of 15%).

If there is a seized caliper surely that would be covered in your warranty? Suggest if you want to use Lexus you take a trip across the bridge 😊

It's a long way over the bridge for me, I'm already 60 miles west of Cardiff, close to Llandeilo.  Yes, a seized caliper would be covered under warranty (had a few calipers replaced under warranty on previous IS250s).  If it is a seized caliper, it should have been identified during the service.  Thank you for your contribution Les, I'm accumulating ammunition to fire at the dealer principal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steveledzep said:

It's a long way over the bridge for me, I'm already 60 miles west of Cardiff, close to Llandeilo.  Yes, a seized caliper would be covered under warranty (had a few calipers replaced under warranty on previous IS250s).  If it is a seized caliper, it should have been identified during the service.  Thank you for your contribution Les, I'm accumulating ammunition to fire at the dealer principal.

The warranty covers replacement of all MOT failure items excluding brake pads which is probably why the discs were only advisory. 

19 hours ago, Britprius said:

Steve. Have a look in the handbook. I am sure it says in mine change pads at 1mm.

John.

I scoured the handbook today John but couldn't find that.  In fact there is very little technical information, mostly "how to" instructions.

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

It would be interesting to know how much friction material was on the outside of the OSF and indeed the NSF inner and outer pads.  

I'll know that on Saturday because I'll ask Stuart to label them and I'll bring them home with me.

10 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

The warranty covers replacement of all MOT failure items excluding brake pads which is probably why the discs were only advisory. 

It surprised me that the discs are covered, but you are correct Les.  On reading through I noticed that the MOT parts cover applies to only ONE MOT within the warranty period.  The car will still be under warranty at next MOT, so I'll try to fill my boots then.  I'll probably take it for a pre-MOT condition report just a couple of weeks before in order to get the bits done before the test.  Not sure about my tactics yet, Stuart will guide me on Saturday.

Didn't the garage inspect the calliper and slides for correct movement ,how much wear was on the adjacent pad ?.worn out pads are fair wear and tear item but if the pad has worn say 4-5 mm more one side then it's not fair wear and tear and they should be replaced under warranty as they have been damaged by sieved brakes etc .

Rather late now but as a checking point for sticking caliper, after a run check whether the spokes of one wheel is warmer than the others. If you have a temperature probe and can use this to contact the alloy spokes or better still the rotor there is a good chance that the markedly hotter wheel with have at least a partially seized caliper.  DON'T touch the rotor with an unprotected hand - they get very hot! 

• Like 1

... always get my callipers greased at an independent - who also remove all wheels during a service.

I think Lexus generally just do a visual check - wheels on?