Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to have a towbar fitted to my 2005 lexus and would like one that is fitted to my 2000. Trying to find one is proving difficult. The only company that seems to have it is called Rameder but I believe it's in germany. I suppose I could buy the kit and have it fitted by a towbar fitters over here. The picture shows the type I have. Has anyone had any luck with a supplier and fitter?f4ec873f2cac0d265d8b691df69303a9.jpg

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Any decent independant could fit a towbar if the instructions are with it ,There is a note on the LS400 mark 4 that it is not designed to tow and there is no provision for a towbar being fitted,weather this is the same for the 430 as it as got virtually the same engine and transmission could be the reason you cannot find one in the UK.

If you manage to fit a towbar that is not type approved for the vehicle the mot will fail and also your insurance company will not insure the vehicle check this out before you buy anything.

The thing is my 2000 had this towbar fitted to it when I bought it nearly 5 years ago and it's never failed an m.o.t and my caravan insurers were happy with the car/caravan set up. I was thinking of removing it and having it fitted to the later car but being that it's been on there for a number of years it may not be that easy.

4 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

The thing is my 2000 had this towbar fitted to it when I bought it nearly 5 years ago and it's never failed an m.o.t and my caravan insurers were happy with the car/caravan set up. I was thinking of removing it and having it fitted to the later car but being that it's been on there for a number of years it may not be that easy.

Thats interesting but do your checks on the present car before you shell out.

• Like 1

Try these guys, seem to have pricing for LS400, 430 and detachable head.

Watling Engineers

I have tow bar on mine (came with it), but never declared it as a mod, and never towed anything, and the head is detached (recall mine is a Witter)

• Like 1

Try these guys, seem to have pricing for LS400, 430 and detachable head.
Watling Engineers
I have tow bar on mine (came with it), but never declared it as a mod, and never towed anything, and the head is detached (recall mine is a Witter)
Yes thanks Pete. I gave them a call and they are going to get back to me. Meantime I've looked at the towbar and found the part number, with lexus stamped on it at the top so i googled it and a firm popped up that lists it. Called them and again they're going to get back to me so fingers crossed.

Dunno about the 400, but the 430 Owners Manual has sections on towing dinghys and trailers.
Personally, for the rare occasions when i need that kind of cargo capacity, I just rent a van.

This is raising serious questions about what the various marks can tow or not tow if one looks at the Watling price list they do not quote beyond 98 on the 400 and only the 2003 version of the 430, all very confusing.

Been in touch with Watling and they can't find and supply a "type approved" towbar but could make one for me. Basically, suggested that I should check my chassis number and see if the towbar I have on the other car can be re-used.