Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I go for a CT200h?

Tchutcha

Hello everyone,

So, I’m currently thinking of buying a car for next year (only when I’m 25 since I pay too much of insurance for being under 25). I’m thinking about buying a lexus CT200h, however I use mainly motorways, around 140km’s each day to my commute, 80 motorway, the rest is nationals (in between towns), should I go for an hybrid? I always wanted an hybrid, love the technology and new things, however doing 140km’s each day on my ‘99 VW Jetta 1,9TDI is making me see that I want to be doing my commute in the most comfortable way and with good MPG instead of fast or with some kick to it.

Do you guys advise me to go with the usual diesel, economical but dirty as hell power or should I evolve and go into comfort with a used hybrid lexus?

when i had a CT it would return in the region of 63mpg or 100km per gallon (4.55 ltr's / gallon) this would be a mixture of motorways and local roads

have a good test drive of one first then make place your deposit down.

• Like 3

I have a MY17 CT Premium. It is no problem on the motorway. Recently did a non stop drive of 145 miles and the car was a treat to drive. After two and a half years of ownership average MPG is 55 which is mostly local runs with some runs of about 150. Best mpg is 68 on motorway run. It is not a family car as boot space is too small for a decent amount of luggage. As 200h says test drive first as some potential owners and motoring media have found ride hard and CVT nosey at high revs. I have not found these two latter issues a problem and car overall is great to drive. Possibly a little too low for  me now as I approach 70 so may consider a UX in the next few years..

Driving a hybrid, with a 'thrashy' ECVT gearbox is quite different to normal/conventional engines plus you don't get the usual oomph that a diesel gives you. However, stick the CT200h in Sport mode and it's nippy and fun, as it is gliding around town in near silent electric mode. It's very effective at motorway cruising and allows for a less stressful drive overall, I feel. A test drive is a must. And, ignore the professional reviews; I was so put off the CT due to such biased negativity and then started listening to the owners who are far more real in their reviews. 

Let us know how you get on. 😊

• Like 1

So... Now I know I really want a Lexus, but Yesterday on my way home I saw an IS300h, on my country, the difference between a used CT200h and an IS300h is 5000€ (20.000€ vs 25/26.000€). Is it a big difference between cars, or I wouldn't feel much difference between the two of them, knowing that I want to cruise in them, most of the time between 70/60 mph.

1 hour ago, Tchutcha said:

So... Now I know I really want a Lexus, but Yesterday on my way home I saw an IS300h, on my country, the difference between a used CT200h and an IS300h is 5000€ (20.000€ vs 25/26.000€). Is it a big difference between cars, or I wouldn't feel much difference between the two of them, knowing that I want to cruise in them, most of the time between 70/60 mph.

One is a Hatchback !

the 300h is a quieter, more comfortable car to drive, i've had a ct in 2013 i'm now on my 2nd IS300h

i am currently getting 44mpg from the IS so mpg isnt too bad for 2.5ltr petrol engine

this is from motorway and round town driving

if in doubt test drive all contenders before you take the plunge and make your purchase.

15 minutes ago, 200h said:

the 300h is a quieter, more comfortable car to drive, i've had a ct in 2013 i'm now on my 2nd IS300h

i am currently getting 44mpg from the IS so mpg isnt too bad for 2.5ltr petrol engine

this is from motorway and round town driving

if in doubt test drive all contenders before you take the plunge and make your purchase.

You're on your 2nd IS300h? What happened? Did your 1st one break or something like that?

no.... nothing happened to the car i like to change my car after about 2 years of owning one.

i bought my CT in october 2013,px ex'd in august 2015 for my 1st IS and in April 2018

i px'ed for my current IS300h F Sport.

to be honest i cant imagine driving any other brand of car as the lexus is so reliable.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, Tchutcha said:

Hello everyone,

So, I’m currently thinking of buying a car for next year (only when I’m 25 since I pay too much of insurance for being under 25). I’m thinking about buying a lexus CT200h, however I use mainly motorways, around 140km’s each day to my commute, 80 motorway, the rest is nationals (in between towns), should I go for an hybrid? I always wanted an hybrid, love the technology and new things, however doing 140km’s each day on my ‘99 VW Jetta 1,9TDI is making me see that I want to be doing my commute in the most comfortable way and with good MPG instead of fast or with some kick to it.

Do you guys advise me to go with the usual diesel, economical but dirty as hell power or should I evolve and go into comfort with a used hybrid lexus?

Hi there,

I would recommend the CT, my dad picked up a 2019 CT a couple of weeks ago and it is pretty nice, it is already achieving 50+mpg and it only has just over 1,000 miles on the odo.

I also read recently the CT is the most reliable new car in the UK with 100% reliability, so that is something to consider?

The CT is not the most exciting drive, but it won't harm your wallet so I would weigh that up?

Ps I made a video of my dad's CT if you want to check it out?

On 10/10/2019 at 8:27 AM, Tchutcha said:

I have driven several Lexus CT200h and owned and driven IS300h. Of the 2 the CT200h is better on fuel, but the IS is more comfortable and later ones are  still achieving around 45mpg in mixed driving. I also think the finish is slightly better on the IS 300, but it's horses for courses. The CT200h has quite a firm ride. My advice is to try both for comfort and then make a choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Charlie Alder said:

Seems you might be right about the UX. See Colin Haynes post on the UX forum. Disgraceful behaviour by Lexus. Puts me off buying another Lexus or at least a UX in the near future.

My youngest daughter had a brand new UK from Lexus Gatwick recently. A crap handover.I had to ask Lexus Chester to do it properly when she brought her new UX to show me.

I’ve only had my CT for a month but for the past week I had an IS300H F Sport whilst mine was with the dealer having a couple of things sorted.

I was originally after an IS but was concerned about the fuel consumption so went with a CT.

IS pros:

Feels more solid with better quality interior materials all round.

Quicker

Quieter when pushed hard.

Better Seats. These were electric with better build, materials and adjustment.

Lots more room inside. I was surprised how big. Similar to my previous Jaguar XF.

CT pros:

Much better on fuel. Between 10 and 20 mpg better dependent on journey and driving style.

Heated seats are much better. Almost instant and warmer too.

I prefer the shifter. The IS shifter is very notchy to use.

After getting in the IS I was worried I’d end up regretting not getting one. But in all honesty I’m glad to have the CT back. I do feel it’s more of a posh Toyota compared to the IS being a full blown Lexus, but the fuel consumption is not to be underestimated and was very important for me. And this outweighs any of the pros of the IS for my usage case. It just means my wife is going to need a bigger car.

in other threads i have mentioned the heated seats being pretty bad in the IS compared to the CT

you get roasted with the seats in the CT and get slightly warm in the IS seats