Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 strut bar bushes/cushions

Hi, I suspect I need new strut bar bushes/cushions for a Jan 1996 LS400.

I've already ordered 2 x new OEM anti-roll bar bushes from Lexus, £20 each, as I noticed the anti-roll bar had moved approx. 2" laterally and could see where it was/should be. I moved the anti-roll bar back through the bushes very easily using a prybar. I'm not sure if this is normal but I seriously doubt it...………...so new bushes will be fitted.

Which leads me to the strut bar bushes/cushions which may have/had an effect on the above. I've looked on Amayama and the bushes/cushions are no longer available, part number 48674-50052, for a 1996 LS400 01/96, but there is a bush listed that 'may fit' according to Amayama but no guarantees, which is part number: 48674-40051. Has anyone on here ordered these bushes/cushions for their applicable LS400 and had them fitted or tried to fit them? If anyone has, can you let me know please?

If they don't fit then the alternatives are 2 x new arms @ £222 each (can't remember if that is including VAT or not) from Lexus or poly bushes from somewhere like Armstrong. I've read that installing poly bushes ruins the ride. Which I can understand if all bushes are replaced with poly bushes but would replacing just the strut bar bushes/cushions with poly bushes have that much effect on the ride? I don't know the answer until if/when I fit them but just wondered what other people think. I've also read that re-bushing all the front with poly is a definite no no and kills the ride but doing the rear doesn't make much, if any difference, to the ride.

Any information/advice on this would be appreciated and if anyone knows where I can obtain the correct OEM strut bar bushes/cushions it would be great.

Hi

Do you mean the lower bars with the camber settings bolt?

If so...I bought the Lexus OE bushes with a discount for about £95 and got a garage to fit. I do a lot of work on my car but preferred to pay for the job. I recall it cost £230 labour plus vat but included fitting x2 lower ball joints, x1 tie rod end labour charge. Those parts were not expensive.

Yes, the lower front bar/arm with the camber setting bolt for which, according to Lexus, the bush isn’t available as a separate part anymore for a 1996 LS400 maybe they are for a 1998 onwards LS400 though. When I said ‘strut bar’ I was using the description on the parts diagram on Amayama.

Oh yes. Bushes are available for the Mk 4.

Worth checking US suppliers and no need to fear importing if you factor taxes and shipping.

Always check Lexus Birmingham and ask for a discount.

A garage fitting needs a friendly garage as plenty will only do their parts...

Thanks, I've checked the US for parts and they look available but the part numbers are not the same, even if they are ok for my car the total cost for the 2 x lower front arms is approx. £380 after carriage and import taxes etc. Probably round about the same price for Amayama as well. The arms from Lexus UK are £222.31 each including Vat so £444.62 for them both plus the nuts and bolts so I'll buy them in the UK from Lexus if I go ahead with it. I'll be fitting them myself as they look straightforward so no need for a garage. If I can replace the lower arms on a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro Sport, which I did a few weeks ago, I'm pretty confident I can do these (hopefully!!!)

It’s item number 48674 in the parts diagram from the link below. It’s actually called ‘bar assy,strut’ but common name is lower front control arm or something similar. When looking for parts etc I was unsure which parts were for my car, some of the model year options are 02/95 - 01/96 or 01/96 - 08/2000. My car was first registered in Jan 1996 so wasn’t sure which was correct for my car but I now know it’s a 1995 model year.

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/lexus-europe/ls400/UCF20R/5092/chassis/4803/48670

• Thanks 1

Paul

If you go to www.toyodiy.com and key in your vin number or year it will go to the exact parts list and identification of parts numbers for the car  It

does not show diagrams but it is easy to find those elsewhere and identify the part name.

8 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Paul

If you go to www.toyodiy.com and key in your vin number or year it will go to the exact parts list and identification of parts numbers for the car  It

does not show diagrams but it is easy to find those elsewhere and identify the part name.

Thanks, it’s a good site. Good information from the vin. The bushes are available from the US for my car. But, they are extremely expensive and not much less than a complete arm from Lexus UK including shipping and taxes etc, something like $140 each. The same bushes for a slightly newer year were a hell of a lot less, $40 or so iirc. As it happens I don’t need to replace suspension bits just yet. I took off the DHP wheels that were on the car and put on the original wheels and tyres, it drove like a different car after that. I’m gobsmacked at the difference it made to be honest.

• Like 2