Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes / Steering creaking when stationary - is this normal?

BoutTime

Morning All,

When stationary and drive is engaged with my foot on the brake pedal, if I turn the steering wheel I get a load groaning / creaking noise. I figure it's the brakes as if I put the car in park or neutral with the brakes released it doesn't happen. As a side note when travelling at low speed in a carpark for instance or approaching a junction to stop, the brakes do sound rough.

So just wondering if this is a trait of the CT due to the mechanical brakes not getting used too often? Not so bothered about the brakes sounding rough at low speeds, but the groaning / creaking when parking the car is quite annoying. Like I say it's only with the brake pedal applied. Cheers.

5 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Morning All,

When stationary and drive is engaged with my foot on the brake pedal, if I turn the steering wheel I get a load groaning / creaking noise. I figure it's the brakes as if I put the car in park or neutral with the brakes released it doesn't happen. As a side note when travelling at low speed in a carpark for instance or approaching a junction to stop, the brakes do sound rough.

So just wondering if this is a trait of the CT due to the mechanical brakes not getting used too often? Not so bothered about the brakes sounding rough at low speeds, but the groaning / creaking when parking the car is quite annoying. Like I say it's only with the brake pedal applied. Cheers.

Hi Ricky welcome to LOC.

Are the disks on your car rusty or have areas of shiny brown deposits? The CT, and the Prius from which it is derived mostly use regen braking, and this means they tend to suffer with the disks rusting through lack of use. This gives the low speed roughness you are experiencing. If it is not to far advanced it can be cleared by braking a number of time from around 50mph "down hill preferably" in neutral. In neutral the the hydraulic brakes are forced into use, and this will help clear the rust. Doing this say once or twice a month will keep the brake clean.

If the disks are too rusty the only remedy is to replace them.

John.

1 minute ago, Britprius said:

Hi Ricky welcome to LOC.

Are the disks on your car rusty or have areas of shiny brown deposits? The CT, and the Prius from which it is derived mostly use regen braking, and this means they tend to suffer with the disks rusting through lack of use. This gives the low speed roughness you are experiencing. If it is not to far advanced it can be cleared by braking a number of time from around 50mph "down hill preferably" in neutral. In neutral the the hydraulic brakes are forced into use, and this will help clear the rust. Doing this say once or twice a month will keep the brake clean.

If the disks are too rusty the only remedy is to replace them.

John.

Cheers John and thanks for the welcome. I'll have a look at the discs later. My Jaguar XF was cursed with pulsating brakes which I used to cure temporarily with heavy breaking exercises at high speed. The rough sound at low speeds isn't too much of a concern to be honest as compared to my Jaguar they are perfectly fine.

My main concern was the graunching sound when turning the steering wheel with the brakes applied when stationary. Very noticeable when parking for instance. I'll have another play later in the carpark. It may well be caused by the front wheels trying to rotate against the brakes when turning the steering wheel.

Cheers.

The front wheels turning when stationary with the brakes on while turning the steering was my thoughts, but unfortunately I did not convey that in my post.
There was some problems if I remember correctly with the Prius steering UJ  that was dealt with in a service bulletin, but I do not know if it also applied to the CT.

John. 

• Like 1

They’re not the quickest of setups on the CT at low speed. Mine are creaky when crawling manoeuvring to park etc. I’m on nearly 101K on original brakes and are in perfect condition still (as per major service yesterday). I’m not bothered about it as it’s always been like this.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stormchaser said:

They’re not the quickest of setups on the CT at low speed. Mine are creaky when crawling manoeuvring to park etc. I’m on nearly 101K on original brakes and are in perfect condition still (as per major service yesterday). I’m not bothered about it as it’s always been like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell. I misread that mileage at first. That's incredible. 

Just checked mine again in the carpark. It only happens if the brakes are applied gently. If I plant my foot and clamp the discs then spin the steering wheel there is no noise. If I spin the steering wheel without the brakes applied at all there is no noise. So nothing to worry about and appears to be normal. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Cheers. 

Yours sounds normal to me. Gentle braking and yes funny noises. (Someone will jump in now and say there’s doesn’t [emoji6]).
At 101K it’s just run in [emoji1360]
Never had any trouble at all in it’s life so far. With a hybrid the engine isn’t always running so the mileage doesn’t justify its wear.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1