Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel stitch-on perforated leather & F emblem

It's been a while since I did any mods on my IS250. I've owned it for just over 12 years. I've recently completely resprayed the car to Ultrasonic Blue and have quite a few mods planned in the coming weeks/months.

I purchased a stitch-on leather wrap for my IS250 steering wheel. I purchased my leather wrap from AliExpress directly from China. Cost was $26 with FREE delivery and with a extra $4 off coupon. Making total $22 which converted in GBP to around £17. You can get them as cheap as $12 with free shipping. But most of them are synthetic leather. I went for the slightly more expensive one that said genuine cowhide leather.

I went for perforated leather with blue stitching. I wanted to add an F Emblem at the bottom of the steering wheel to give the re-trim some uniqueness. F emblems small enough for the steering wheel are hard to find and Lexus don't seem to sell them as replacements. So I designed and printed my own in 3D resin. I cut-out a recess in the original steering wheel and used contact adhesive to form this recess shape on the new leather. The result in my opinion is great. I also re-wrapped my steering switch covers in gloss carbon.

The key to a perfect fit is to make sure you stick down the leather and stretch and tightly stitch it together.

Cost for project was £17 for leather, £3 for contact adhesive and about £10 for printing a sheet of F emblem and £0.99 for the carbon wrap. Making the total £30.99

Below are some pics and a video of the project including my F emblem design in Adobe Illustrator.

001.png

003.jpg

20191005_113045.jpg

20191005_143157.jpg

20191005_153350-01.jpg

20191006_134426-01.jpg

20191006_134449-01.jpg

20191006_134805-01.jpg

20191012_092621.jpg

20191012_130845.jpg

20191012_133521-01.jpg

20191012_152714-02.jpg

20191012_153623-01.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Matt1280 said:

Looks amazing! Nothing better than doing things yourself! 

How do you get the steering wheel controls off? Wouldn't mind wrapping mine in carbon wrap to match everything else

Thanks.

I wrote a detailed guide on how to wrap those steering wheel controls back in September 2010. It's posted on here and my blog too but I think the pictures may not be working on here. My blog post here: https://is-250.blogspot.com/2010/09/diy-carbonfibre-wrapping-steering-wheel.html 

Apologies about the blog, it's not been update in a long time, it's very outdated (i've been lazy 🙁) Hopefully soon 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

That does look extremely good. I've bought a stitch on cover for my GS and if I can make it look half as good as that I'll be chuffed.

Thank you. If you need any help or advice feel free to PM me.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I did another steering wheel wrap for someone with custom orange stitching and had the interior trims hydropdipped orange carbon weave to match his orange colour theme. Also added in paddle-shifters to his car as he's original steering wheel didn't have paddle shifters. Thought i'd share some pics of that project below. Remember this isn't my car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png