Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Centre console armrest problem

I think I already know that the answer to this question will be "no" but I may as well ask the hive mind.

My centre console armrest seems to have given up the ghost and died.

I passed my driving test in June 1975 and I've had numerous cars since then with centre consoles and/or armrests and absolutely none of them have ever broken. Given that, and also given that it's a late 2013 Lexus that's only done about 47k miles, I'm wondering if it may be covered by the Lexus Extended Warranty that we have on the car?

In the first photo below two little plastic inserts have broken and no longer retain the springs that they should, whilst in the second photo you can see that both screw posts have broken so there's nothing for their screws to drive into.

I have no idea how this happened but it was 'all in one go' as far as I know, unless I missed something breaking first which LED onto a second event, but I doubt that.

So, warranty or not, do you think?

armrest1.thumb.png.3b9cd0ade33c4a734f2d900cba2577eb.png

armrest2.thumb.png.438ae9a4047ffb18bc6c68b3533149e3.png

Herbie, if Lexus won't play ball, bearing in mind the broken parts don't seem to be on view, depending on how bad they are it might be worth checking whether it's feasible to rebuild them.  When I have had broken plastic parts in the past, where space permits I have repaired them in the following way.  Apply a fine coat of superglue to hold them together.  Then where access is possible use a good size soldering ion to spread the plastic.  This does need to be done carefully because it's easy to just make a mess and collapse the parts. (I have done so many repairs like this over the years that I am quite skilled at it and I would not recommend it to somebody who is not familiar with the process.  I then smooth down the repair. I also wear a mask because of the fumes produced,  In some cases I  omit this and support the superglue repair by a sleeve or build up with Milliput which can be drilled and tapped as required, as indeed can JB Weld for those more familiar with that product.  However, there is a fairly new product on the market activated by a light.  I haven't used it yet myself but will be giving it a try.  A thin layer of a sort of gel plastic is applied to join broken parts and becomes set in seconds only after the light it shone on it and once this has been done further applications of gel and light can be used to build up a sleeve or support.  Here are a couple of videos showing the product, it's application and result.  The kit is advertised on amazon for circa £15.  Hope neither you nor anybody else needs it but maybe useful to know. 

• Like 2

Hi I had same problem last year  with my 13 plate rx luxury which has only done 19000 miles.Spoke my local Lexus dealer at Chester.Took car in and they had a look. I do have the extended  warranty  they took photos and it took a couple of months but it was changed under warranty. Hope this helps. Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had this happen to my 2014 RX about a year after i got it, lexus did replace it for me after we found out it had been broken before i purchased it from them and the previous owner had bodged it back together without Lexus noticing.

Apparently the kids had broke it being heavy handed with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, I'm happy to report that the armrest was indeed replaced under warranty!

Andy Pedersen at Lexus Teeside wasn't very hopeful but I asked him to just put the claim in under the premise of "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" so, with nothing to lose he submitted the paperwork and it was authorised, so a great result and much kudos and respect to Andy.

We took the car up there today for its 60k/6-year major service (spark plugs etc) and, even though he was only notified about the success of the claim this morning, he managed to get one in and it was fitted this afternoon while the service was being done.

Very impressed, to say the least.

armrest1.png.thumb.jpg.cca6916e40a24c091a8f707e95539be2.jpg

• Like 3

Best possible result!  My brief experience with Lexus Dealership so far is that they will be as 'helpful' as they can because they want you to go back to them for servicing. 

However, it does seem from response that this armrest component is a potential weakness and extra care needs to be taken with it.

• Like 2