Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Main Beam

I have a 2017 NX300H Sport and although I like the car very much I’m disappointed with only having a normal halogen main beam bulb. Has anyone changed theirs for anything brighter and if so what did you use. 

If the bulb housing is meant for a halogen bulb, then anything other than a halogen bulb in it is an instant MOT fail, so I think you'll just have to get used to it.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my previous car and as stated above changed the bulbs for uprated ones.

I purchased Philips X-treme vision bulbs which are 130% brighter than normal bulbs. I just changed the main beam and you could see a noticable difference in colour between dip and main.

Yes I agree with you,the main beam are bad,I purchased 2 hella 100 watt and made no noticeable difference so I have ordered 2 Philips LED bulbs 160€ they claim to have the same focus as standard bulb and don't cause glare to other cars 

I won't have them for a week I will post details then.

I don't mind if I have to put the old bulbs in for the test they are easy to do.

19 hours ago, Kevin Deasy said:

I don't mind if I have to put the old bulbs in for the test they are easy to do

And that is exactly why the new MOT test rules were introduced last year - to try to stop people doing this.

The science of automotive lighting is very complex and housing units are designed with specific bulbs to populate them; LED housing - LED bulb; halogen housing - halogen bulb.

You will of course, do exactly as you want, but could you live with yourself if it was proved that you caused someone to have an accident after they were dazzled by your incorrect bulbs?

• Like 1

I think the issue is due to having a combination of LED for low beam and halogen for high beam. The LEDs are so much brighter, they make the halogen bulbs seem very dull in comparison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanD said:

I think the issue is due to having a combination of LED for low beam and halogen for high beam. The LEDs are so much brighter, they make the halogen bulbs seem very dull in comparison.

Totally agree @DanD

I had this issue on my first NX Sport. The main beam was 'ok' but in comparison to the bright white light from the LED it was terrible. Luckily no such issues with my current NX Luxury - LEDs for both. Lexus really shouldn't penny-pinch on this imho. LED should be standard across the whole range.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, Herbie said:

And that is exactly why the new MOT test rules were introduced last year - to try to stop people doing this.

The science of automotive lighting is very complex and housing units are designed with specific bulbs to populate them; LED housing - LED bulb; halogen housing - halogen bulb.

You will of course, do exactly as you want, but could you live with yourself if it was proved that you caused someone to have an accident after they were dazzled by your incorrect bulbs?

And should you be involved in an accident an insurance company will use any excuse not to pay up.

Philips have a LED kit which is manufactured with the exact spread as a halogen HB3 the kit is expensive 250€ in Ireland,there  are two versions available Gen1 which is 5200  k compared to a halogen @ 4300 k nd the gen 2 is 5800 k which is pure white.

to use the correct unit made to replace a  specific bulb with the exact specifications of the  halogen HB3 will not cause extra glare ,the Philips unit is made for a direct replacement for HB3 & 7 and is guaranteed to be exactly the same as the HB3 check out the Philips site & specifications.

The first thing one reads is.

"It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements."

Plus under the spec listing..

Homologation ECE  NO"

Bottom line is one cannot legally fit LED into lamp units designed for halogens

1 hour ago, Kevin Deasy said:

the Philips unit is made for a direct replacement for HB3 & 7 and is guaranteed to be exactly the same as the HB3 check out the Philips site & specifications.

It doesn't matter what they say, it's illegal and will fail an MOT. The screenshot below is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual here

hidhalo.thumb.png.e047dbcad8a0297de20cddc48bdbc069.png

• Like 2

One of the issues is that HID/LED headlights have automatic levelling, which is not a requirement for halogen headlights which rely on manual adjustment (from inside the car)

• Like 1

Herbie

thanks for that inform,it is an interesting read but does not give much details on retro fitted LED only HID,so I took the time to contact the NCT testing department in City West in Dublin they informed me that the test on LED lights which are retro fitted will not pass if the test equipment shows glare intensity above the machines pre set specifications or light intensity above the same,most lights over 6000k will fail.but provided they comply with the test equipment they are fine.This equipment is capable of testing glare & intensity.

HID retro fitted lights will not pass a test unless the light unit is a stamped HID approved.

In Ireland our car test centres are government operated in is government owned test centres which at present run under licence by a Dutch compan NOT BY Garages,the equipment used is totally different to the UK,it is far more stringent.

51 minutes ago, Kevin Deasy said:

In Ireland our car test centres are government operated in is government owned test centres which at present run under licence by a Dutch compan NOT BY Garages,the equipment used is totally different to the UK,it is far more stringent.

Unfortunately the issue is really UK specific, the EU has failed in many ways with car legislation. If I were to come and live in Ireland (and I have dual citizenship) then I would have to pay vrt on my car of probably several thousand Euros. Why?  You pay far more on road tax and are taxed on many extras on your cars. 

Sadly the issue of light bulbs is clear cut here now 

No you are not correct,if you were to come to live in Ireland with dual citizenship all your own cars & your partner cars would be exempt from VRT provided they were owned &  registered to you foe 6 months before coming here and your MOT would be accepted for the remaining time.

my hobby is restoring old Rolls & Bentleys and I buy all of them from England and these are exempt from VRT

I also Import Motorhome's which have a low rate VRT,what has astonished me is when I bring one into Ireland with  a long MOT they are usually failed on our test.In 2014 I bought a beautiful Bentley eight from Hanwells of London with a new MOT and on entering Ireland it had  to have a NCT within I month of entry and it failed for wheel bearing play,hand brake play,gear box oil weeping.

In 2016 I bought a Rolls Royce Spirit from a co called Mr Motorhome in Manchester with 9 months MOT and in Ireland it failed for corrosion in the back suspension,corroded brake pipes,cv boots cracked,and engine oil leaks.So if the Irisn NCT are satisfied with Lucas LED kits I will be happy to fit them and know I will not be causing a problem to other road users.

Yes in some cases you would pay more road tax,my NX is 270€ per year and my last car A 2016 E220 avangarde (161D44414) was 190€ per year the Mercedes had better emissions then the Lexus and the tax is priced on this

but it was lights we were talking about and again in a lot of cases with LED kits which are made in China have no control and have no set beam or spread,the proper LED units are made ti the correct HB 3 spec and this means you have the same beam range but whiter and the same spread which won't cause glare.My last car had Main & dill LED lights on the HB 3 light units and were fantastic and made driving safer .