Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

300h IS or GS

I know this is an old topic but I have just driven both on a test drive and have been slightly more swayed by the GS just for the gear that’s on it ( I tested two premier models ). I have been searching the net for for any back to back reviews on these two models but cannot find any. Does anybody know if one has been done comparing these two models?

You've done what I did many years ago,I went to my local Saab dealer to test drive a 9-3 having previously had a 900, the car was out on a test drive, but as I was looking at a 9-5 they offered me a drive in one of those "while I was waiting", which I did, then I drove the 9-3.  Both cars had the same engine spec so the 9-3 was definitely faster, I bought a 9-5, not the one I drove, I wanted a blue one but the same spec, and a few years later I got a 9-5 Aero (the faster one).

I currently have an IS300h, cracking car, but I bet the GS will be even quieter and smoother as was the 9-5 vs 9-3, also the extra space inside would fell more luxurious too.

When I bought my IS, I too considered a GS, though my choice of spec and colour was out of my financial reach, I would say that if you prefer the GS go for it.

Vince

When I got my 1st Lexus I was actually after the GS300h. I was impressed by it greatly. I then tested the IS300h and too I was greatly impressed. I left the choice to my daughter and grandson and baby chair. I was gobsmacked they preferred it in the IS, in the rear by the way. So I ended up with the IS. Neither was quieter than the other. Both top spec cars. 

It's down to if you want a bigger car or not.

• 4 weeks later...

GS interior quality alone should be enough not to even think look at IS 😀 the difference is like day and night. GS also looks better outside. With real life mpg and other running costs very similar between the two.. why would you even consider an IS? 

1 hour ago, aviator888 said:

GS interior quality alone should be enough not to even think look at IS 😀 the difference is like day and night. GS also looks better outside. With real life mpg and other running costs very similar between the two.. why would you even consider an IS? 

My thoughts too Mel, but beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder.

Thank-you for your comments. I have been back and tested them both again (twice!)and although my brain is saying the drop down back seats are more practical and I do not need all the extras at the back as there are only two of us but every time I get in and drive the GS it just brings a smile to my face. I am now on the hunt for a Premier model 2016/17. Thanks again.

I owned an IS300h for a while and a GS300h turned up for sale at my local Lexus dealer at a very good price. I much prefer this GS which is smoother although
not as fast because it is heavier and fuel consumption is higher too. I preferred the styling of the IS but the GS looks fine standing against its competitors.
I do find the "Sport" mode impressive. My only disappointment with Lexus is - you buy the shell then pay for the wheels, the tyres the wipers the windscreen.......

Only joking but if you buy second hand make sure you know what extras are fitted my first IS was minus a navigator which needed and thought was fitted.

I kept the IS Lexus bootliner when I swapped - it's in as new condition and didn't fit my GS. Anyone want to buy it?

Edited by Kingell
spelling