Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 or 460 or 600 next ?

In the event that I was ever to change from my Ls400 what do you think it should be ? 

We read issues surrounding the foibles with the Ls430 and I'm thinking many of these transpose to the Ls460 too

Thinking especially of the radiator / gearbox issues ingress of water and also air suspension troubles

the Ls600 seems to be totally bombed out on price and there are lots available at the moment with what might seem to be high miles BUT we know these Ls cars generally seem to thrive on hard work

is the Ls600 hybrid ever an issue ?  does the Ls600 have similar gearbox/radiator problems or air suspension issues too

we don't read very much about  Ls600 issues at all ..........  wonder if it's because Members here don't have these cars too much

Your ( kind :whistling: ) thoughts please

Malc

• Like 1

I guess it's all subjective (whatever that means exactly). I was introduced to a brilliant mechanic with great Lexus knowledge by another member who tells me the LS430 is the best of them all, others will say different.  For me I love the 430 inspite of the possible issues but the later LS's would worry me with even more equipment. Have you driven a 430?  Worth a try maybe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Have you driven a 430?  Worth a try maybe.

not yet at all 

I was horrified the other day as I mentioned here that a Ls460 owner I met had the same radiator / gearbox issue as his old Ls430 and it cost him lots of £'000s too sort out

Seems too me that the Ls600 prices are close to Ls460 prices now and just wondering the merits and de-merits of ever changing from 19 years behind the wheel of a Ls400 :no2:

I'm quite conservative 

Malc

Ive never had an LS600h (hopefully will be the next one) but have had an LS400,  2 LS430s and and 2 LS460s. Although the LS460 is technologically still more advanced than some very new cars, it was the LS430 that still felt the most solid car to me. In terms of build it felt absolutely like a tank. I am on a Lexus hiatus at the moment with a Jaguar XJ8 2005 model and there is just no comparison with the luxury feel of the LS430. Also the features in the LS430 are more than enough for somebody who loves their technology (massaging seats in the back...that's just the cherry on top) I loved the LS460 but there was perhaps just a perceived 5% drop in build quality (still pretty awesome). All very subjective I know 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malc said:

not yet at all 

I was horrified the other day as I mentioned here that a Ls460 owner I met had the same radiator / gearbox issue as his old Ls430 and it cost him lots of £'000s too sort out

Seems too me that the Ls600 prices are close to Ls460 prices now and just wondering the merits and de-merits of ever changing from 19 years behind the wheel of a Ls400 :no2:

I'm quite conservative 

Malc

Sounds as if you are bored Malc?

LS600h swb for me please.

not bored, just wondering if and when I should ever " jump " into a different sort of car

thinking it would possibly be a Ls600 maybe

BUT I don't want this sort of think happening when I know my old Ls400 wouldn't perform like this, being Old School technology

our 2006 Honda Legend SH-AWD is a good enough and quite luxurious car but just had a new alternator at 125k miles and it caused some issues tbh

got her home but couldn't finish the parking (left awkwardly in the road blocking all bar small cars ) coz the Battery was drained, couldn't put it into gear, nor use the  steering coz they are both electronically controlled and no battery therefore meant zero movement too

RAC shifted her, eventually when they arrived and then off to my indy ( £ 450 all up )  for a replacement alternator, some £500 less than the Honda Main Dealer who could actually source one, likewise my guy did, from Scunthorpe, yes there was one in the country for this ridiculously rare car :zorro:

ah, yes, btw, being rare doesn't mean lots of value to be sure !

sorry i digress a little

Malc

• Like 2

Whilst I intend to keep mine for at least another 3 years, with no doubt a little help from Paul Frost, I think my considerations will be, in rank order,  an LC500 ( prices should have fallen by then) an RX 450 ( for practicality) or LS 600h.

All very different I know, and I would change now , but my LS 430 is such a wonderful car, which really pleases me when I drive it, that I know I can’t better the ride, whatever I buy.....so I will just continue to be smug 😜

I remember earlier this year, I went to lexus birmingham for brake pads and discs for the ls430 I had, I got talking with the service guys while I waited, they said the reason lexus is reliable is because of the ls400 and the CT. He said the other models are reliable but not as the ls400 and CT. Funny thing is, lexus Coventry told me the exact same thing last year. 

They also said the gs450h is a quick car yes, but wair until the hybrid batteries fail and an oil pump or something like that. Ls430 they said just to go for coilovers and replace the radiator, so looks like lexus know about the issues with the ls430 but having said that, it is s nice car. The cabin feels nice

30 minutes ago, messi said:

He said the other models are reliable but not as the ls400 and CT.

is this telling me I should just stay with my Ls400 ?.........  forever ???  :yahoo:

Malc

56 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

LC500 Roger?

Won`t you need new hips and knees first?

I have a pal who had to sell his Mazda 6 and buy a CX5 as the low 6 was difficult to get in and out of.

You might have to limbo in and out of the LC !

I know that is something to consider, hips and knees ok at the moment. The LC does look quite accessible but have not actually tried it, I guess I just like the fact that it will be the last naturally aspirated 5.0 V8 ever produced. If that is a no goer then I guess RX450H  is next on the list. I agree there is no fun limboing in and out 😂😂

38 minutes ago, messi said:

I remember earlier this year, I went to lexus birmingham for brake pads and discs for the ls430 I had, I got talking with the service guys while I waited, they said the reason lexus is reliable is because of the ls400 and the CT. He said the other models are reliable but not as the ls400 and CT. Funny thing is, lexus Coventry told me the exact same thing last year. 

They also said the gs450h is a quick car yes, but wair until the hybrid batteries fail and an oil pump or something like that. Ls430 they said just to go for coilovers and replace the radiator, so looks like lexus know about the issues with the ls430 but having said that, it is s nice car. The cabin feels nice

We know the transmission issue is easy to prevent, and although a member recently converted to coilovers and was disappointed, if I'd went down that route I would definitely try the Strutmaster ones from the US.  They claim the ride feel and height is the same as when they left the factory.  At the moment, with the current exchange rate, a set of four is £660.  Shipping and customs will probably double that but if they're as good as they claim it surely has to be worth it.  The adjustable coilovers have never really seemed like a good option to me.

so there we have it I guess  :no2:

little known of the Ls600 foibles and neither can I find anything useful on google search either

this seems very strange ...........  I know it's a rare car and most originating purchases would follow a full Lexus service pattern for their initial life as either wealthy individual or company owned

Bit odd that there's nowt from later owners experiences with indy servicing or inherent troubles mentioned on line somewhere

Can but assume ( and I know that's amazingly dangerous ) that the Ls600 is a trouble free wonderful car that's now too bombed out on pricing and should be a snip to buy with good fortune to follow the brave :zorro:

what do you think ?  any more help here with the Ls600 ?

thanks guys

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

so there we have it I guess  :no2:

little known of the Ls600 foibles and neither can I find anything useful on google search either

this seems very strange ...........  I know it's a rare car and most originating purchases would follow a full Lexus service pattern for their initial life as either wealthy individual or company owned

Bit odd that there's nowt from later owners experiences with indy servicing or inherent troubles mentioned on line somewhere

Can but assume ( and I know that's amazingly dangerous ) that the Ls600 is a trouble free wonderful car that's now too bombed out on pricing and should be a snip to buy with good fortune to follow the brave :zorro:

what do you think ?  any more help here with the Ls600 ?

thanks guys

Malc

Have you read this Malc ?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/ls-600h-2006/

Malc, had my 2009 Ls600 for 4 years, bought in 2013 with 70k miles (£25.5k). Replaced 1 rear shock after 78k, (£800, if i recall) and apart from servicing and tyres that was the only thing that went wrong. Sold in 2018 (£11.5k)  one of the best Lexus I have ever owned (out of 7).

I keep reading on this Forum that some Lexus's are appreciating in value. The only one appreciating is the one you want to BUY. Believe me, when you come to sell you will find that the only one 'NOT' appreciating in value is that one.

If you come across a good 600, go for it. You won't be disappointed

Well gentlemen, thank you so much

Graham, your initial purchase was fantastic, the prior owner having dropped £75/85k depreciation  in those first 4 years. It's impressive for sure and Well Done to you

and

John, the Honest John stuff is brilliant too ..  didn't like this extract from it though. Scary stuff for older car owners without any proper type insurance cover 

17-7-2017: Report of inverter cooling system packing up on 2009 Lexus LS600h at 135,000 miles. Estimate for repair was £24,000.

I suppose at the prices they are now for older cars one would just take the punch on the nose and scrap it eh !

So buying a secondhand one, who on earth would you take along to check it over as a " good buy " I wonder

Malc

My 460 has just completed 100,000 miles. After 15 years with a 400 I moved to the 460 in 2013. The car had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it.

It has had one problem which I could attribute to Lexus - a glitch in the 'Self Parking' program, which was fixed by re-booting the system. Lexus did the re-boot, not me. That happened four years ago and hasn't recurred. 

It has had other problems: 

Flat batteries (2) when parked for a week or more. Lexus changed the batteries under warranty but decided to do an in-depth investigation after the second one. They found a tracker device which had been fitted when the car was new. It is now disconnected and I haven't had Battery problems since.

But the main problem was Scotland!  Let me explain...……….    I live in Holland and visit Scotland twice a year to see family.  On one of my trips I hit a water filled pothole (actually, more like a sinkhole) and destroyed a front wheel bearing.  On another visit, I had a puncture and an over-zealous tyre fitter ripped out the valve which damaged the TPMS transducer.  Then, on a narrow country lane, a deer jumped over a wall in front of me. Luckily, I was only doing about 30 mph, so the deer survived unharmed but my front bumper needed some TLC and a respray.

The car is serviced by a Lexus main dealer - the price difference between main dealer and indy isn't that much here - and I like to get the program updates.

The car is great! I haven't had any problems with the air suspension although I did get the radiator changed, as a precaution, at the 100,000 mile service a couple of weeks ago. In typical LS style, EVERYTHING works just as it should. All the bulbs are the originals. The interior, particularly the leather, looks fantastic - better than my 400 did at that mileage. 

I have never driven a 430 so can't comment on them but, Malc, if you ever decide to go the 460/600 route I can thoroughly recommend it...……..just stay away from Scotland  😁

• Like 3

ah I see ! , we do at least every two years or so have a 3000 mile trip up to and around Scotland in the Ls400

Maybe if I buy another I'll save the Ls400 for just my Scottish trips then :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all hear these so called experts, talking about their experience with one particular model, or a Lexus branch saying one model is rubbish but another Lexus branch says exactly the opposite. There is more than enough info on here to decide, but at the end of the day mostly with older cars, no matter what make, it will come down to how well the car has been treated in its life. All Lexus models are generally exceptional for reliability and longevity , and if you want to de risk your purchase I guess it best to buy a bike. Any model in any brand at some stage inexplicably will have some sort of major failure, that is life, but this thread is going round and round, to what purpose when all the info anybody would need is already here 🤗

2 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

when all the info anybody would need is already here 🤗

forgive me BUT I think there is an incredible lack of info from everyday users, anywhere, on the Ls600 and that's why I raised this thread .........  for my own and others awareness when considering a possible change to the Ls600

It has certainly brought out a few more items of note on the Ls600 but nothing like the data we get on the others in the Ls range

Malc

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Malc said:

It has certainly brought out a few more items of note on the Ls600 but nothing like the data we get on the others in the Ls range

Malc

Maybe that tells you something ...or...... maybe there aren’t many around. 

I almost bought a 600h a few months ago, lively drive but the advisory bits from the last service were eye watering. I absolutely adored my LS400 and with 16 years of ownership I think that shows how much I wanted to hang on to her and whilst it is a very different class of vehicle I am massively surprised with the IS300h I picked at very short notice because I needed a car after the LS went bang, Honestly I don't miss the old girl and on reflection i should have changed it years ago. Driving something modern and tight has its downsides in terms of it costs a bit more but it has many upsides too and the refinement is staggering in the IS - yes I am pootling around a bit more than I did in the LS but it's a very impressive vehicle and is giving me far less sleepless nights than a 600 would. I think if I was you I would stick with what you have now if it is all working and running well until the time comes when you absolutely have to change it.

• Like 2

wow, that Wimborne Dorset car looks really good value .......  and it has a towbar fitted

some lucky purchaser will look to have an excellent car methinks

and all for the price of a couple of air shocks on a later model  :yahoo:

Malc