Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Improved Scissor Jack Safety

SH20

Although I installed a space saver spare wheel in the boot of my ES  and carried  a mini trolley jack to use with my semi fixed jacking plates I was never happy with the space the trolley jack took up in the boot, plus the weight  issue was another factor.   I also had to abandon the original polystyrene tool holder and use another space stealing bag to hold them in.  My jacking plates are to ensure no ham fisted technician raises my car with a two post lift with swing arms and damages my sill flanges, something I've spent hours repairing  previously with other cars I have owned. 

I'm now going to abandon the trolley jack and now use the car's original scissor jack duly modified to take a machined cup that slips over my jacking plates as per the photos.  I have never liked scissor jacks really given the weight they need to raise on such a tiny area of sill flange.   I wanted a more robust beefed up scissor jack arrangement which gives me more confidence when and if I need to use my space saver spare which now sits in the boot.  It is  a large item to carry  in the boot I admit but as the ES boot is bigger than my previous  GS I'm never going to struggle for boot space.   I've put back the polystyrene tool holder and created some cut outs for the machined cup and a couple of other items to aid wheel changing,  a solid blue plastic wedge for uneven ground and a multi tool for general use.    What next I wonder?      

P1130042.jpg

P1130043.jpg

P1130045.jpg

P1130046.jpg

P1130050.jpg

P1130051.jpg

P1130047.jpg

P1130048.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve you are a perfectionist - those flange plates look like an original item

I'm sure chrome plating the locking nuts and fabricating a chrome bumper protector is on your list which you are gradually working through!😀