Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone experienced this problem with GS alloy wheels.

I took my car to a wheel refurbishing company to get my wheels power-coated. Within a hour of leaving the car they called me to say the chrome inserts were stuck in place. The chrome inserts are held into the wheel by 2 threaded pins, one at the inner hub and the other to the outer rim. The retaining nuts came off fairly easily, but when they tried to remove the chrome insets, they found that the inner hub ones came loose fairly easily, but the threaded pin attached to the outer rim wouldn't budge. Has anyone experienced the same and how did you remove the chrome inserts? Thanks for any help with this. 

I had the same challenge when I thoroughly cleaned my wheels in August.

The solution is WD40 sprayed around the stuck area, patience to give it a chance to penetrate and lubricate, then a few taps with a hammer to get them out.

4047c218d501c728644993cd83e3d2b9.jpg

a9d355d03fef4d861400a0cc36de3389.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I recently had my wheels refurbished, and in anticipation of this problem removed the spokes myself. Many were seized. I found heating the aluminium around the holding pins with a small gas blow lamp enabled the pins to be knocked out from the rear. Do not use a large hammer, but rather a so called "toffee" hammer to avoid breaking off the holding lugs. 
The end of the pins "where the nut goes on" also is has splines to take a torque type socket. Using this the pins can be turned anti clock wise as the pins are tapped with a large course thread into the plastic spokes. 
After removal I found soaking the spokes in metholated spirits removed a layer of clear-coat that dulled the chrome. This does not harm the plastic they are made of. I then re-coated with clear coat from a spray can to protect them.
I also drilled out the holes to a larger size to reduce the possibility of further seizure.

John. 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, pavlos35 said:

Has anyone experienced this problem with GS alloy wheels.

I took my car to a wheel refurbishing company to get my wheels power-coated. Within a hour of leaving the car they called me to say the chrome inserts were stuck in place. The chrome inserts are held into the wheel by 2 threaded pins, one at the inner hub and the other to the outer rim. The retaining nuts came off fairly easily, but when they tried to remove the chrome insets, they found that the inner hub ones came loose fairly easily, but the threaded pin attached to the outer rim wouldn't budge. Has anyone experienced the same and how did you remove the chrome inserts? Thanks for any help with this. 

Thanks for your advice. Have managed to get the chrome inserts out today. 

• Like 2