Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h Tail Gate Won't Open

Purchased a 2013 RX450h a few weeks ago, the car was already fitted with a 7 pin Westfalia Towbar. On Thursday we had an autoelectrician come out to upgrade the 7 pin plug to a 13 pin. He spent an hour on the car and claimed the install was simple and only had to feed off the Battery, nothing too complicated. I didn't notice immediately but now the boot/trunk will not open. Disconnecting the Battery in the boot allows it to open but then it'll stop working after a couple more operations. The remote operation from the keyfob or dash makes a beep but the tailgate doesn't lift. I've also tried the little button in the glovebox but that doesn't help. Wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms following a towbar install or has any ideas, many thanks in advance. 

Autoelectrician has been back on a couple of occasions, he's now convinced the boot latch is faulty and it's nothing to do with the electrics 😏...... There are used parts available but looks like a pig to get at the latch. Might end up with an extensive job at the dealership at this rate.

I think I would carefully disconnect all the wires from the 13 pin plug making a note of what goes where. Also make sure none of them are connected together further up the loom and then see how things go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, emjay82 said:

Autoelectrician has been back on a couple of occasions, he's now convinced the boot latch is faulty and it's nothing to do with the electrics 😏...... There are used parts available but looks like a pig to get at the latch. Might end up with an extensive job at the dealership at this rate.

Is there the correct power to the boot latch?

I'd make sure the 12v Battery is fully charged. It's the time of year when we all start turning on the heater fan up to full to demist and the screen/mirror/seat heaters go on. i.e. it's puts more strain on the 12v Battery.

It's very easy to get the Battery to a stage where it doesn't have the oomph to unlock the latch and work the tailgate (it's takes quite a bit of current to do the job). On a hybrid you don't tend to notice the 12v Battery dying as you would with a totally internal combustion engine car.

If you can, try charging the 12v Battery and see if the tailgate action improves. Might save you a bit of money chasing other things when all you might need is a new Battery.

Had this problem last winter but rectified itself, the issue was back door buttons dead, button on dash dead, went into engine bay moved a few relays about and it would work again for a few minutes then all dead again. Hope it doesn’t happen this year it was a pain.

Glad you got it sorted but don't chuck the old one out, try to fettle it first so you have a spare and also gain the knowledge as to what, exactly, is wrong so that you can pass that knowledge to others :thumbsup:

• Like 2