Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, I’m a happy new owner of a 1998 MK4 LS400. I have what looks like a gap in the bottom of the front bumper. I’ve been looking at various pics but can’t work out if it is meant to be like this or is missing some part of trim. Can anyone help advise me?

735360B6-8B78-45F7-BD3A-6C397EC02108.jpeg

9869A62F-DF79-47B0-A762-2AD981D23366.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Not seen that before, looks like it should have a cover over it, I’m guessing the tow hook in the boot screws in behind there?

I’ll take a look at mine when I get back home.

My V reg does not have this 'slot' in. 

Had a look at some photos on eBay none of the Mk4 seem to have this slot.

Be interesting to find out what is, as tow hook would be my guess though I recall years ago, someone telling me that towing automatics is not a good idea.

So far as I can tell this is not OEM so could have been modified by someone.
Does the car have any non-standard fitments like LPG or such.
What is behind the hole?
Whoever did it, did a damned fine job. It almost looks OEM.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

My V reg does not have this 'slot' in. 

Had a look at some photos on ebay none of the Mk4 seem to have this slot.

Be interesting to find out what is, as tow hook would be my guess though I recall years ago, someone telling me that towing automatics is not a good idea.

You can generally tow automatics short distances at very low speed. For longer distances it’s a prop shaft off job or a rear end suspended tow like mine was recovered after the broken spring.

The Mark 4 towing eyes are on each side of the car below and behind the lower valance they are in fact the tie down shipping anchors and a similar pair or bolted onto the rear crash bar.

The issue when using these hooks is the towing vehicle height and the angle of tow rope/bar, if the tow rope/bar is anchored too high on the towing vehicle it will rip into the bumper and damage it .

If anyone as to be towed backwards or forwards make sure this factor is checked and do not let the operator tow the vehicle with the wrong angle in situ.

Ideally the car should be transported if it as broken down as the transmission could be stuck in gear and will be very badly damaged should it be towed in gear.

The early Lexus LS400 had screw in towing eyes that screwed into the front of the chassis and were kept in the boot when not in use, there is still a compartment moulded in to the boot insert but no eye was issued because there is no provision to fit one to the car.

I presume Lexus felt the best recovery method was by flat bed lorry.

There’s nothing in the gap, no tow eye or fixing for one, just an empty space. The bumper doesn’t look hacked or missed, no it’s not got LPG. I’ve only had the car a week so it’s a complete mystery to me

21CC23EE-4C3B-4A2C-B284-D64043CF49E8.jpeg

382960DC-EBF3-42AF-9371-59FF91146802.jpeg

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

I presume Lexus felt the best recovery method was by flat bed lorry.

:yahoo: I presume they really really thought the car would never need recovering .......  ever

Malc

• Like 2

Just my bloody luck then, admittedly not the fault of the car just the fact that the alternative cattery was down some seriously potholed farm track on the way to the airport. The additional 50 odd Kgs in the boot probably assisted the demise of the 23 year old rear spring.

At least it got us there, it was during our holiday it actually let go leaving the car somewhat slammed.

0BDD5994-0BAD-4CF0-9C7C-8E0598A07730.jpeg

4 hours ago, matk said:

There’s nothing in the gap, no tow eye or fixing for one, just an empty space. The bumper doesn’t look hacked or missed, no it’s not got LPG. I’ve only had the car a week so it’s a complete mystery to me

I would say a mystery all round, just spent a while roaming the Web and nothing anywhere. 

I wonder if the bumper is not an original, and some previous owner needed to replace original, and this custom bumper was up for grabs.

Maybe meant for some left hand drive high intensity light for the verge (to spot those stupid pheasants out of a night - I had two try and commit suicide this weekend by jumping off the verge in broad daylight - I think one may have succeeded!!)

Coincidentally just met someone to pick up some replacement seats and he breaks the odd Lexus. He asked if it had been a medical vehicle as he felt it was an aftermarket mod that could have been done to fit a blue light. That rang a bell as the guy who bought it said he thought the first owner had been a Dr. I’m going to chill out about it now and give some thought to see if I can do anything with it. Now that the evidence points to it not being original I’ll stop thinking about whether there is an official cover I could have sourced.

1 minute ago, matk said:

Coincidentally just met someone to pick up some replacement seats and he breaks the odd Lexus. He asked if it had been a medical vehicle as he felt it was an aftermarket mod that could have been done to fit a blue light. That rang a bell as the guy who bought it said he thought the first owner had been a Dr. I’m going to chill out about it now and give some thought to see if I can do anything with it. Now that the evidence points to it not being original I’ll stop thinking about whether there is an official cover I could have sourced.

It might have been Doc Martin.

30 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I would say a mystery all round, just spent a while roaming the Web and nothing anywhere. 

I wonder if the bumper is not an original, and some previous owner needed to replace original, and this custom bumper was up for grabs.

Maybe meant for some left hand drive high intensity light for the verge (to spot those stupid pheasants out of a night - I had two try and commit suicide this weekend by jumping off the verge in broad daylight - I think one may have succeeded!!)

The reason pheasants run under cars is that they have worked out they will not be shot at under there.

John.

3 hours ago, matk said:

to fit a blue light. That rang a bell

you could have it as  a modern day Police Wolseley 6/110 and fit said blue lights and bells :whistling:

Malc

Is it possible that there was a radar cruiser control option on the LS400 and this might be one of them where the Radar sensor was fitted?

I have never seen this before nor did I come across it in any googling

23 hours ago, Malc said:

you could have it as  a modern day Police Wolseley 6/110 and fit said blue lights and bells :whistling:

Malc

Now your talking, I had the aforementioned Wolsley in black with red leather, marvelous car, a Wolsley and an Austin Westminster, complete with starting handle!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Have look to see if there is any wiring loom and connector behind.

There’s nothing behind it, just a big gap, posted pics earlier in thread.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links