Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 400 to buying IS 250

Am I crazy?... I'm sure most on this IS forum will think I'm not :smile: 

I love my LS400, but time to move on as it does not really fit on my drive and is getting a bit long in the tooth at nearly 22 years old.

I test drove a 2009 IS 250 SE-L and I was very impressed, I liked the feel and the refinement, and although not quite the LS400 magic carpet ride, l almost felt let down getting back into my huge old boat and manoeuvring it out of the tight car park! I've been trying to get my eye in on prices... I think I'd like a pre face lift SE-L as it has memory seats which does not seem to be on the post face lift SE-L? That said, I could be tempted by an SE if it was the right combo of price, mileage, service history etc. Some SE models seem to come with the upgrade of Sat Nav reverse camera... it's difficult to get the definitive differences in spec between the SE-L and SE. But there seems to be quite a price difference between the SE and SE-L. I'd like to pay less than £5k and get less than 70k miles for an SE-L... possible?

I've studied the various 'what to look out for/buying guide' threads... some great info as always on these forums.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Stupot said:

... I think I'd like a pre face lift SE-L as it has memory seats which does not seem to be on the post face lift SE-L?

You sure about that? Mine is 2010 facelift SEL and has memory seats.

Crucially too, it has a USB port in the armrest ... not just a phono jack as on pre facelift vehicles.

Also, on the facelift version you get a HDD if you have sat nav ... and can store lots of music as mp3 files in the HDD (Hard Disk Drive)

I would say be patient and aim for the best car overall rather than age. When I sold mine it was an 07 but had 41k on the clock, it had hardly been run in. Just check for the normal is250 issues like brakes and water pumps. And my personal thing is tyres, if someone has put cheap tyres on then that's a red flag for me.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, normski2 said:

You sure about that?

No, not sure at all... but I have not seen any pictures of a post face lift SE-L version with the memory seat buttons on the door card just above the window switches.... did they move the memory seat buttons to a more discrete location post face lift?

13 hours ago, leelacey17 said:

I would say be patient and aim for the best car overall rather than age

Agree with that

1 hour ago, normski2 said:

Yep, memory seat buttons are on the door card.

Thanks Normski... the 2009 SE-L I test drove did not have the memory seats, so perhaps it became an option on the SE-L post face lift

Or it could have been the SE i variant that you drove.

Most garages, from what I have observed, seem to wrongly (or the cynic in me thinks it might be deliberate) label the SE i as a SEL in their sales descriptions.

1 hour ago, normski2 said:

You are correct... I did not even twig that there was an 'i' version below the 'L' spec... so post face lift L version will also be great by the sounds of it. Thank you.

The second facelift, MY2011 SE-L  cars (which started around the end of 2010 on a ‘60’ plate) lost the front passenger seat memory but still came with the drivers seat memory function. 

I origanally wanted a Blue or Bright red SEL and looked at a  few but could not find the right combination of condition, milage and history, I eventually settled for a grey 58 plate SE with 1 owner, 30k and  full lexus service history that was a really good price, to be fair the only thing that I wish it did have that the SEL has is Bluetooth for my phone, the rest of the extras I can live without. The seats are still heated electric leather and as only I drive it the memory function does not really bother me. I use my phone for Sat Nav as I did in my last car that had built in Sat Nav as I find google maps is better for live updates and speed camera's etc. The 6 disc CD is fine along with the radio (the DAB signal is rubbish where I live so AM/FM is ok) and I can still attach my phone for more music through the aux socket so my advice would be look for the best car you can find and don't be blinkered by spec and colour

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Enjoy your new car john and don't forget to post some pictures and also give us a rundown on how the car/ride differs to your 430

There are some pics in the My is250 thread on page 2, I have had the car for 6 months now and it does everything it should do with no fuss or problems ride and handling are much better since I took the P Zero's off, my only real complaint is I wish it either had an extra 20bhp or a flatter torque curve as comming from 330 BMW's and C350 mercs it lacks a little bit of get up and go

On 10/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, normski2 said:

Most garages, from what I have observed, seem to wrongly (or the cynic in me thinks it might be deliberate) label the SE i as a SEL in their sales descriptions.

You are absolutely correct, it's an underhand tactic used by the garages. I noticed this too as I have been recently look to get a Lexus. 

But we all know how to spot a SE-L from afar...,only model to have wood ( and it is real wood!) panel inserts in the passenger cabin.

paul m

On 10/28/2019 at 5:15 PM, Nejohn said:

my only real complaint is I wish it either had an extra 20bhp or a flatter torque curve

Yes, that was my conclusion from my short test drive... in comparison to the LS400...a slight lack of low down pull... but I can live with it and in reality, it's plenty quick enough for me. I'm open to an SE or SE-L now... the most important factor is that perfect combo of condition/history/miles/price.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:55 PM, Texas said:

But we all know how to spot a SE-L from afar...,only model to have wood ( and it is real wood!) panel inserts in the passenger cabin.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:57 PM, J Henderson said:

Rear window blind is another "tell" to identify an SE-L.

Thanks for those tips :thumbsup:

On 10/28/2019 at 5:23 PM, 007M said:

You are absolutely correct, it's an underhand tactic used by the garages. I noticed this too as I have been recently look to get a Lexus. 

Here is a good example.... HPI check shows this is an SE-i... dealer says SE-L

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS-250-2-5-Auto-SE-L-4dr/153624813806?hash=item23c4c0a0ee:g:rNgAAOSw5nZdajpU

Lots of dealers also list the RX300 or 350 as an SE when it's actually an SE-L as they know the air suspension with the SE-L is not popular with buyers. The give away there is the air suspension adjustment button next to cig lighter.

1 hour ago, Stupot said:

Here is a good example.... HPI check shows this is an SE-i... dealer says SE-L

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS-250-2-5-Auto-SE-L-4dr/153624813806?hash=item23c4c0a0ee:g:rNgAAOSw5nZdajpU

Lots of dealers also list the RX300 or 350 as an SE when it's actually an SE-L as they know the air suspension with the SE-L is not popular with buyers. The give away there is the air suspension adjustment button next to cig lighter.

Send an email of complaint to Lexus G.B. re the official Dealers who are misrepresenting the  vehicles and to the Advertising Standards Authority re the non --official Dealers?