Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had a call from MoT (Toyota Dealer) to say my venerable steed has failed MoT. EML light is on!!!!

Usually I always check this before MoT and fix it with a paper clip in the OBD port.

BUT, I can't find the diagram telling me which pins. 

Anybody got it handy, I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I can't find it.

Thanks

11 hours ago, 39buss said:

Just checked.  It's pin numbers    4 & 14.  Best to double check

What makes you say that, my diagram shows pin 4 in the top row and pin 13 in the bottom row. Each row has 8 pins. It's a 2000 GS430 and I have used this diagram on several occasions over the last eight years and it has always worked.

Oh well, looks like my trusty old stead is in trouble. Neither combinations of bridging pins works. Bridging pins 4 & 13 always worked before, not today.

Seems to be giving nox & rich readings, so we'll have to see but it sounds expensive.

Crazy really as the car actually runs well.

More than likely that is the cause. Unfortunately it's now at main dealer for service and MoT which expires today.

Main dealers tend not creative so it'll be new this, and new that, and that will be a gazillion squids, thank you sir.

If their projected cost is too high I'll have to scrap it. Painful as it really is a good car. 😞

Oh dear. The last time someone said they were going to scrap a GS I flew to Inverness and bought it :ohmy:

Different engine of course but projected cost from a main dealer to supply and fit an O2 sensor on mine was around the £200 mark. Turned out to be something entirely different that in fact cost me 20 quid at Dave's.

• Like 1

If it's "only" two hundred then I'll be very happy.  

But I'm over a barrel, they've got the car and there's no MoT.

Ho hum, fingers crossed it'll end well. I really do like the car.

Unfortunately there are no Lexus Independants in these parts.

I guess the too bloody reliable cars don't break down frequently enough to create enough work for independents 🙂 (not like MB's !!!!!)

And of course my yellow check engine light came on this morning!!

Just filled up before heading up to Tony Banks in Leeds. Hey ho, I'll try resealing the filler cap and head straight to Lex-Tek once the exhaust is on. 

19 hours ago, IanA2 said:

But I'm over a barrel, they've got the car and there's no MoT.

You can legally drive the car home or to a repair garage even with a failed MoT as long as it's not a 'dangerous' fault. It might be best to get MoTs done at a very local garage which will turn a blind eye to your driving of with a 'dangerous' fault - I do, and my local didn't worry when I drove home with 'too low' rear brake pads - that's a 'dangerous' fault, even though they were within Lexus spec (> 1.0mm - MoT requires >1.5mm) (That was on my IS250)

Actually I don't think they can stop you, but I guess your insurance company would not be too happy, shall we say, if an incident were to occur.

Anyway, I think EML illuminated isn't 'dangerous'.

It's bloody infuriating, the only thing wrong is the actual damned light. It has been going on and off intermittently for years, and either bridging the pins or filling up (EVAP) has sorted it. It occured to me last evening that the nox and rich readings were first read about six years ago and just re-set as there were no problems whatsoever.

The car is excellent, it goes well, and I'm dreading what the Dealer going to say when he eventually calls.

They've had it since Monday now.  😞

• Sad 1

Not saying it's your problem, but I recall reading that a faulty fuel tank filler cap can actually bring on an EML , by faulty, this could simple be the rubber sealing ring has failed/perished and the cap is no longer 'airtight'. Maybe Simple enough to check hopefully.

paul m.

It's looking terminal. Main Dealer (Toyota) have given up and want to trailer it away to Lexus for them to use it as a money tree. Whilst the car has no financial value it's a wonderful old thing and it grieves me that for a stupid light it has to go. 

I'm waiting to see what Toyota will offer me for it against a new or newish Rav4 hybrid. I'd prefer an RX but the Lexus dealership is just too far away. It's at the end of the A14 which means a minimum of one hour and more like two, it's a horrendous road 

31 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

PM sent.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:31 PM, rich1068 said:

22 hours ago, IanA2 said:

😞

13 hours ago, Texas said:

31 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

PM sent.

@rich1068 Good idea, can you pm me his number. Also do you think he would know someone who could do the trailering without breaking the bank? Thanks.