Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ireland was going to be a problem for me when I went touring for a month last year

So I bought an actual real time Map, booklet ..  about £12 I think ..  Waterstones had one but i went on line and bought a more up to date version                and cheaper

The proper Ordnance Survey production of the whole of Ireland

Malc

Or get a Halfords £99 Garmin with lifetime maps of the whole of Western Europe. I find these miles better than my Lexus system. Why Lexus do not say......'just do our maps and do them better' is a mystery.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-drive-51-lm-with-lifetime-full-europe-maps-5-sat-nav

• Like 1

Me and the missus use Google Maps on phone, works across Europe, always more up to date than anything (really helped when we got lost - on foot - in one of the stations in Vienna.

Also if you switch your mobile data off, it will still track you on the map, but will not know about traffic hold ups.

And I find it way easier to look at than the display in the Mk4.

Not sure what will happen with Garmin in future, as the smartphone and Bluetooth is where it appears to be all heading.

2 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Me and the missus use Google Maps on phone, works across Europe, always more up to date than anything (really helped when we got lost - on foot - in one of the stations in Vienna.

Also if you switch your mobile data off, it will still track you on the map, but will not know about traffic hold ups.

And I find it way easier to look at than the display in the Mk4.

Not sure what will happen with Garmin in future, as the smartphone and bluetooth is where it appears to be all heading.

That's something I didn't know, so you can still use the phone's sat nav without using data?

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

That's something I didn't know, so you can still use the phone's sat nav without using data?

Did a 4 hour train trip across Portugal in September.  I could see my GPS position on Google Maps zipping along at 170kph.  Just using standard Google Maps, and no data enabled.

I am also pretty sure the other day while out and about once my wife had selected the route the phone was still issuing instructions even though she had used up all her data allowance.

To be honest I rarely ever use my in car Sat nav or phone, as being old school I learnt all the backroads along the M4,M5,M6, M1, and M25 corridors back over 30 years ago, so bit like a London Cabbie I will get you there.  When I am new territory I will usually refer to my trusty dog-eared AA roadmap stuff down side of console.

The only time I ever got truely lost was with Sat Nav, and whenever I go out with my sales team and they rely on their Sat Nav we do some interesting detours (seems like Mazda and VW Sat Nav seems to like driving you through center of Coventry regardless of any road conditions).

And to cap it all my LS satnav seems to want to send me on a 2 mile detour when I get to about 400 yards from home???

• Like 1