Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

oil filter

lexus22

How long would you leave an oil filter on the car, not the oil, just the filter? Thinking to give engine an oil change(10k) but leave filter as such a pain in the arse to change..and a pain in the arm as well!

the oil filter is so relatively cheap compared to the oil and the potential for going clogged up with gunge that I would surmise oil filters are changed with the oil each and every time

mine is for sure, always has been on all of my cars

Malc

• Like 1

Can't imagine changing the oil and not changing the oil filter but then again some do,not something I would personally do,always change both together 👍

Yeah, I know what you mean, price of the filter isn't an issue, I normally use the K&N which varies between £10 and £15 (not the cheap Fran rubbish) just not a nice job to change the filter, always go in from the top but is like a bloody rubix cube to get old one out and new one back in! Not to mention bruises on right arm. I have left the filter on before, so oil and filter change then after 10k just change oil, then after another 10k change both.

2 minutes ago, lexus22 said:

so oil and filter change then after 10k just change oil, then after another 10k change both.

20k miles for a oil filter seems a bit long in the tooth ......  isn't there a simple tool to help with it's removal maybe

Malc

• Like 1

I bought my wife a new Peugeot 207 back in 2007 and it was supplied with a service book with service intervals of 12mths/10,000 miles but all the sales brochures and sales bumph stated ' 2 year (20k) Servicing intervals!  So when I questioned this I said have they changed something on the car to warrant the change from 20k down to 10 k but the answer was that the Dealers were loosing out on the longer service intervals and it was better for the longevity of your car! Point 2 I agree with but point one is incredulous!

Note if the oil filter gets so clogged up it restricts the flow of oil through it then there is a spring loaded by-pass route that will allow the (now unfiltered) oil to continue to flow, not ideal but better than no flow at all!

paul m.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Malc said:

20k miles for a oil filter seems a bit long in the tooth ......  isn't there a simple tool to help with it's removal maybe

Malc

18 hours ago, lexus22 said:

No, it's where it is, hidden down the right side of the engine, just a sod to get too!

Dunno if 20k on a decent oil filter is okay or not tbh.

Yes, perfect position in theory but a bit tight in an IS. Also a bit fiddly to do without spilling oil everywhere. Whole procedure is best to do with a clear bag over the filter.

Buy a GS with the 2JZ, a bit more room :biggrin: But as others have said, I'd change it.

Yep, those poor dealers!!

Have ordered another K&N, just didn't want to do it.. lazy.

Hmm, just added up how much I have spent on the Lex these last few weeks..mad? probably.