Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 300h Catalytic converter theft

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

I have the NX 300h and my wife has the Yaris.

Why the difference with the RX?

If you check out the earlier parts of this thread, you will see that no one so far has reported a cat theft from an NX, probably because the cat is so difficult to get to (see all the diagrams and discussion). On the RX it's easily accessible and aided by the height of the vehicle. I don't worry any more as I have an NX.

There has not been an answer to my question about the noise made when removing the converter.  I have just been to the link provided by Lexus Parts Direct and they say that the thieves use "High powered hand tools" to remove it.  Surely that will entail making quite a din and would wake the whole neighborhood if carried out at night.

Have these no goods got the nerve to do it in broad daylight and if so, do passers-by not regard the activity as suspicious but don't say anything for fear of losing a limb to the high powered hand tools?

I will try to find out what happened to the two vehicles that were done close to me.

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I have the NX 300h and my wife has the Yaris.

Why the difference with the RX?

Hopefully to put your mind at rest, my wife has a 2019 Yaris Hybrid and the same thoughts went through my head but on investigation (and on Yaris forums) I found that the cat is located very close to the engine manifold so like the Lexus IS/NX is pretty much impossible to get at from underneath.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

If you check out the earlier parts of this thread, you will see that no one so far has reported a cat theft from an NX, probably because the cat is so difficult to get to (see all the diagrams and discussion). On the RX it's easily accessible and aided by the height of the vehicle. I don't worry any more as I have an NX.

Is the cat easily accessible on the Mk4 RX (2016-on)? There are reports on the earlier models but I have not seen anyone report a cat theft for the Mk4 version although could be due to the lower number of them. 

• 6 months later...

I imagine the low life use a Battery powered Reciprocating Saw or similar Angle Grinder.  They certainly won't be using a spanner to release nuts.

Must make a hell of a noise but in broad daylight I think I've read that these scroats wear Garage Overalls so that people observing assume that they are doing something legit? 

The Mk 2 GS 300 has its Cats high up in the Engine bay so no worry for me. 

10 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

The Mk 2 GS 300 has its Cats high up in the Engine bay so no worry for me.

Except that is has a secondary cat under the car like the NX300h which is the item that gets stolen.

image.thumb.png.df5c91eba0b618d0025253449bc73bb9.png

Not really an issue as the hybrids are targeted, not standard petrol engined vehicles.

I'll have to have another look but from what I could see under the Bonnet the two Cats are inline with the 02 Sensors, three of which Sensors are visible from the Engine Bay.

The diagram is LHD version and perhaps has something extra for California emission Laws?  Can't believe there are six 02 Sensors, but who am I to doubt..............

The secondary cat isn't monitored before/after. You either have sensors before/after the primary cats and the secondary is unmonitored (more common on modern Lexus vehicles), or the upstream sensor(s) are before primary cat(s) and downstream sensor is after the secondary cat(s).

Here is an example of two primary cats and a single secondary cat with only one downstream sensor - this is the 2000 RX300.

image.thumb.png.8c7121d4658d33a256cc82cf397d21c0.png

and the more modern configuration (primary cat monitor before/after (No. 3 and 4) with the secondary cat at the bottom left unmonitored - this is the IS300h

image.thumb.png.cd43b9bf01db9892e073b80a6d7f0463.png

Primary and secondary cats have been standard on Lexus models for 20+ years - only now with GPFs being fitted is the secondary one sometimes eliminated.

So, on the straight six I think I have, divided into two blocks of three, an upstream and downstream O2 sensor on Bank 123 Cat whereas I only have an Upstream O2 sensor on bank 456 and now I recall (still sleepy when I last replied) seeing beneath the Car a second O2 Sensor.  Having taken a look, that 2nd Sensor is on straight pipe slightly forward of mid door position.  Can't see an extra Box and the nearest Cat is angled upward and partly out of sight (assume Bank 2)  Paperwork history suggests has had some Exhaust repair work at some time but can't say if a Cat or muffler existed before and has been removed.  The Car is very quiet when running, not noisy.