Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres Today

Bowserman

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently looking at which tyres I should fit on my CT. It's a July 2015 Premier model and has only done 20k which lve had from new and although the original Yokos would probably last the summer I feel that 6year old rubber is ready for replacing. My main consideration is quietness and ride comfort and I am drawn to the Michelin cross climate. Do these tyres have rim protection? Ive googled this but can't find an answer. Would be grateful for any up to date reviews on these tyres. 

1 hour ago, rhosneigr said:

I am currently looking at which tyres I should fit on my CT. It's a July 2015 Premier model and has only done 20k which lve had from new and although the original Yokos would probably last the summer I feel that 6year old rubber is ready for replacing. My main consideration is quietness and ride comfort and I am drawn to the Michelin cross climate. Do these tyres have rim protection? Ive googled this but can't find an answer. Would be grateful for any up to date reviews on these tyres. 

mine dont have rim protection , but as for the tyre ..................i will now not use anything else .........superb tyre both summer and winter !

No, cross climates do not provide rim protection 😪

91506A06-D81A-4C50-B3C5-B41642C001C1.jpeg

I still rate them highly however. Got me out my street with 4-5 inches of snow on it last week with virtually no slippage while neighbours were stuck spinning their wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

No, cross climates do not provide rim protection 😪

91506A06-D81A-4C50-B3C5-B41642C001C1.jpeg

I still rate them highly however. Got me out my street with 4-5 inches of snow on it last week with virtually no slippage while neighbours were stuck spinning their wheels. 

So much for Honest John.

Are CrossClimate made in Germany Colin? I thought they were French.

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Is there a difference between Cross Climate and Cross Climate +? Honest John refers to Cross Climate +.

I think... the + are the later version?

And the 2 are out soon - or now out?

Hi All, 

I see that this topic is brought up again. Just wanted to let you know that I chose Michelin cross climates at the end. I have had them now since October. They are very good. I find them quieter than Yokohamas. And I didnt skid in the snow at all while the rest of the estate cars tried to go up the small hill we have. 
Very happy with them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Cross Climates + DO have rim protection John. The principal reason for kerb damage is driver error !

Mine don’t have much protection, far less than the Yokohama. The one pictured is the +. Perhaps some other sizes have more of a rim protection bit but not in CT size. I had the original CC on my last CT and visually they were identical except the + on the sidewall. It was totally driver error on my part but I’m sure the damage would have been more minor if they had a bit more meat at the interface with the rim. I ended up replacing the rim as no one can guarantee a colour match with the F Sport grey paint. 

I’m sure Michelin have multiple factories, mine were produced in Germany. Indeed they had a factory Dundee way until quite recently. 

Thanks for all the replies. I will try and visit a tyre dealership this week depending what Boris comes out with tomorrow and will post later in the week. From checking on Google Honest John is in administration. 

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The principal reason for kerb damage is driver error !

The tyre I see on the picture does not have what I would call rim protection.

Yes, if we never touch anything with the rims they would not get damaged. But rim protection would reduce damage.

1 hour ago, colin79666 said:

I ended up replacing the rim as no one can guarantee a colour match with the F Sport grey paint.

If the rims we have on the CT should be damaged, we would repair them and paint all 4 so they would not look different colour. Did that on a Smart Roadster Coupé. Looked a lot better than the original.

image.thumb.png.0006437ea8c02122a81c7134e7b0a641.pngimage.thumb.png.70f47b4ac66ea3a1f9337e4130702dec.png

Continental have a bit more rim protection.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Cross Climates + DO have rim protection John. The principal reason for kerb damage is driver error !

I think it may depend on what you define as ‘rim protection’!

The Michelin CCs I fitted to our 4x4 Suzuki didn’t have any, but Michelin changed the wall profile in 2018 and gradually rolled it out across the range of tyre sizes.  The new profile may not yet be available in all sizes.  But while the new profile certainly offers more rim protection than the previous shape, it doesn’t compare with the more substantial rim protection of, say, the Goodyear’s I fitted to the Lexus.

So, kiss a kerb with the latest CCs and I think you’ll be very lucky to get away without actually marking the rim.  In fact the Michelin website makes no mention of rim protection at all.  The only significant difference between CC and CC+ appears to be the compound mix.

A comprehensive review has been carried out on www.tyrereviews.com 

That said, these Michelin Cross Climates are certainly one of the best all-weather tyres on the market.  If you want more effective rim protection, as I did for the low profile alloys on my Lexus, fit Alloygaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, rhosneigr said:

Thanks for all the replies. I will try and visit a tyre dealership this week depending what Boris comes out with tomorrow and will post later in the week. From checking on Google Honest John is in administration. 

The original Honest John still appears in the Daily Telegraph each Saturday.

The current HJ Website is staffed by people who are not knowledgeable enough nor experienced enough to wear His shoes. Follow them at your peril.

• Like 1

Yes it does mentrion the website in the article I read. Regarding rim protection, the present Yokos have a decent rubber protector and there are a couple of chunks on them but I'll blame my partner for these. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rhosneigr said:

I will try and visit a tyre dealership this week...

I’m sure you will be very pleased with the Michelins.

I was planning them for my IS250 but discovered that my model had the 18” rims and two different tyre sizes fore and aft - of which Michelin only made one.  Fortunately Goodyear had just launched the Asymmetric 5 which also had very good all-weather performance, so they got my cash instead.

The Michelins replaced, if I recall correctly, Yokos on our 4WD Suzuki SX4 and have proved to be far superior in every respect. 

Incidentally, if you can shop at Costco they are Michelin dealers and often have offers on them.

Edited by LenT
Add info

1 hour ago, rhosneigr said:

I am a member of Costco but the offer is on Good Year this three weeks. They could not get the cross climates in the CT size last time the Michelin offer was on. 

Drat!

But as I mentioned, that was the same case with me as far as the CCs were concerned.

In my case Lexus MK, to my surprise, came up with vey good quote for the Goodyears.  And it was only by chance that I called them.  However a local tyre supplier I’d used before also came up with a good price and in addition they were agents for the Alloygator Rim Protectors.

So a deal was done and it’s a combination I’ve been very satisfied with.  Every little scuff on an Alloygator just makes me think of the alloy rim repair I’ve just saved!

PS. I have no connection with Alloygator!!!

• 7 months later...

Hi 

I need two new front tyres for my  F-Sport and I’m thinking of these.are these good tyres and is it ok just to have the two on the front?

684597EF-FAE9-428C-90ED-04199076D536.jpeg

27 minutes ago, JPG said:

Hi 

I need two new front tyres for my  F-Sport and I’m thinking of these.are these good tyres and is it ok just to have the two on the front?

I would always... have all or nothing for All-Season or Winter tyres. Much more stable and safer.

Two is a false economy I would suggest...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPG said:

Hi 

I very much doubt, Jon, that you can find any respectable tyre maker who would agree that mixing tyre types is a good idea.  People do it and get away with it.

Until the day that they don’t!

Michelin has just introduced the CC 2, and this is one of the reviews you might find interesting.

• Like 1