Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rain Water Leaking Into Footwells - video

Hi all, I recently got rx400h and after heavy recent rains notices a lot of water in driver's footwell.

Windscreen on my car is not genuine, so after checking sealing I wound missing rubber in both buttom corners - see video. Can water leak through this? Or it this normal? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

Most modern windscreens are bonded in giving a perfect seal .your leak will be from above this .

So this hole would not let water getting inside the car? Shall I look above that? Can it be visually identified? Thanks

Those are just rubber and plastic vanity trims stopping wind noise etc .if you car has a sunroof check the drain tubes .people have had major discussions on here recently Just look back about a week or so in the pages.

On at least some BMW's there is a membrane beneath the door cards that can and sometimes does fail (as i can testify), so water finds its way into footwells.  I note that the external seal along the base of the window on my Lexus is not a tight fit - raindrops on the side screens are not cleared as the windows are lowered and raised. This would indicate that there is space for a lot of rain to enter the door and presumably come out of drain holes at the bottom but I assume there would be some sort of membrane to stop any rain leaking into the car.  Is this a possibility with Alex's car?  Is this a known area for water ingress into this model?

Yes 2 drains at front corners of sunroof and 2 at rear ends,  The rears are obscured when screen is retracted on mine so screen needs to be tilted.  Ideally, you need to wipe tray dry as much as possible and park on incline so you can then in turn direct water to each drain gravity directs. Clearly, if water builds up in the tray you have a blockage that needs clearing.  If water leaves the tray but can't be seen leaving the car (there are pictures of this on a recent thread), a water carrying tube may have split or become disconnected, assuming it is the sunroof drains that are your problem.

• Like 1