Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto high beam activation speed

I've got a Lexus RX450h 2018 which has LED haedlamps and the 'auto high beam' feature. When switched on the system will only activate the high beam when I am travellinhg around 40mph which is too high on small windy UK country lanes. The manual seems to say it awitches on at 40 kph (25mph) but mine definately only come on at nearer 40 mph. Can this be adjusted? Or maybe my system is triggering at 40mph instead of kph? Anyone else had this problem?

OK, fair enough, I know that the car comes equipped with 'auto high beam' but honestly, have we really become so lazy that we can't just flick a finger to maually switch the headlamps ourselves?

I'm not having a pop at you Lukas, I'm just thinking that this is a piece of technology that doesn't really need to exist and has been developed solely for no other reason except 'just because they can'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The AHB on our GS450h is totally useless - dips far too late, then won't renable, eventually does, then dips randomly, then goes into a sulk and never puts the high beams on ever again. 

The AHB on our Tesla is a lot better - but it's too quick and too sensitive. It's flicking the high beams on and off like a disco as it reacts to parked cars (reflectors lighting up that it thinks are tail lights), chevron signs, etc. 

Neither one is actually usable. 

• Like 1

The high beam activation speed is "proper" if low beam height is well adjusted, unluckily all Lexus cars I had had low beam quite "low", and I had to adjust them all to obtain a good vision.

Besides, in newer RX high beam lights have the feature to select beam off to the area occupied by vehicles keeping  keeping beam all around on, very effective.

• Like 1

Sceptisism noted but I find the system genuinly useful when driving on dark country roads. The way the system automatically adjusts the beam to oncoming cars seems to work well. I do a regular 30 mile drive on an unlit rural road and not having to worry about dazzling oncoming drivers does make it a bit easier.

• Like 2

If you find the advanced auto dip/high beam system works satisfactorily in all respects other than the speed of initiation, you could get a more definitive reply from Lexus on whether it can be coded to the way you would like.

• Like 1

This minimum speed issue for AHBC has been discussed several times before on here. Search for AHBC and you will find the threads. It has also been reported to Lexus apparently to no avail.

The people who designed the system must live in the city and not in a rural area.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, Herbie said:

OK, fair enough, I know that the car comes equipped with 'auto high beam' but honestly, have we really become so lazy that we can't just flick a finger to maually switch the headlamps ourselves?

I'm not having a pop at you Lukas, I'm just thinking that this is a piece of technology that doesn't really need to exist and has been developed solely for no other reason except 'just because they can'.

I bet your dad said the same about electric windows and central locking.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Haha, you may well be right there my friend :laughing:

Having said that, much more effort is required for both of those things compared to auto dip. With the auto dip your hands are already on the wheel, literally within an inch or two of the stalk and you literally only need extend one finger to accomplish your goal.

I have to say that I find Auto High Beam one of the most impressive, not to say useful technological advances of recent vehicles. Now that I have Adaptive High Beam on the NX, I can essentially have high beam on all the time without having to dip. I though also wish it activated earlier than 36mph. And, Herbie, it was a pre requisite for my car choice...

All different yes,losing the ability to think yes,losing the ability to use our brains and common sense yes,losing the ability to do things for ourselves yes....................????????🙁

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, DanD said:

Well the way things are going I can see a time when you will not be allowed to touch the controls except in an emergency.  Basically, with perhaps a few other instructions you will just need to say a destination and what music you want at the outset and all will be done for you.  In effect we will have moved from the 'Horseless carriage' to the near 'Driverless car'!

29 minutes ago, scudney said:

All different yes,losing the ability to think yes,losing the ability to use our brains and common sense yes,losing the ability to do things for ourselves yes....................????????🙁

Speak for yourself!! 😎

24 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Well the way things are going I can see a time when you will not be allowed to touch the controls except in an emergency.  Basically, with perhaps a few other instructions you will just need to say a destination and what music you want at the outset and all will be done for you.  In effect we will have moved from the 'Horseless carriage' to the near 'Driverless car'!

And maybe order a cocktail of your choice to enoy on the journey..

7 minutes ago, lfoggy said:

Basically, with perhaps a few other instructions you will just need to say a destination and what music you want at the outset and all will be done for you.

One's chauffeur already does this .. 

4 hours ago, scudney said:

Lol,remember no drinking and driving,the car will be able to smell your breath and refuse to start 😜😁

I really don't see the point of driverless cars in that case....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links