Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smart Card battery life

What kind of Battery life do you guys who use the smart card get ? I've had mine for 3 months and it's telling me it's low. Manual says a year I think.

While i'm asking, do all Lexus dealerships charge the same for scheduled maintenance (does Lexus corporate enforce it) or can they charge whatever ? Trying to decide if it's worth shopping around.

Thanks !

11 hours ago, pkts said:

What kind of battery life do you guys who use the smart card get ? I've had mine for 3 months and it's telling me it's low. Manual says a year I think.

While i'm asking, do all Lexus dealerships charge the same for scheduled maintenance (does Lexus corporate enforce it) or can they charge whatever ? Trying to decide if it's worth shopping around.

Thanks !

Haven't got the smart card but have the normal smart entry key. I find that sometimes says low Battery if it's in my trouser pocket with my wallet. I think the signal gets blocked somewhat if you have other items around it as I replaced the Battery but still get the same message from time to time. Make sure the key is less obscured / covered and see of it still does it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:04 AM, pkts said:

What kind of battery life do you guys who use the smart card get ? I've had mine for 3 months and it's telling me it's low. Manual says a year I think.

Thanks !

I have had card keys with two cars since January 2010 (one second gen IS and one third gen). Over this period of almost ten years I have done perhaps four or five Battery replacements, so counting the batteries that came from the factories, that makes about six or seven batteries over ten years.

I always have the key batteries changed each year in all the keys on the service visit. Not very expensive for the peace of mind. Regarding the low Battery warning, I seem to recall that there is a hidden setting which only allows starting if the key is in the front seat area. If you sling your coat in the back with the key in the pocket, you can't go anywhere. 

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

I always have the key batteries changed each year in all the keys on the service visit. Not very expensive for the peace of mind. Regarding the low battery warning, I seem to recall that there is a hidden setting which only allows starting if the key is in the front seat area. If you sling your coat in the back with the key in the pocket, you can't go anywhere. 

I often leave my key in a jacket or coat pocket on the back seat and it worka fine - in fact gives less low Battery messages than when in my trouser pocket next to my wallet... 

My smart key card lasted for about 8 months, Battery for these are a little pricey as I think Panasonic only makes these. However hard to say how long the key was in storage prior to programming as when I opened my key from new it didnt have the Battery release tab.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links