Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I found the source of my knock?

On the day that my new drop links arrived I thought I would just try bouncing the car's four corners.  The one where the worst knock comes from is way to bouncy.  So there it is I guess, at least one strut is very weak, not doing its job and causing a knock. I now have to decide on the best course of action!  Either way it'll be done.

Woah slow down phil . . . . . I don't think you will be happy with coil overs if that's what you are thinking.

I would have it investigated properly by a garage and if it is the strut then  . . . . . . . I would replace with air strut.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Woah slow down phil . . . . . I don't think you will be happy with coil overs if that's what you are thinking.

I would have it investigated properly by a garage and if it is the strut then  . . . . . . . I would replace with air strut.

I did have it checked early this week but only the steering joints and bushes.  The shock is definitely shot, the corner bounces like a boat!  I wouldn't have adjustable coilovers fitted like another member did, I'm getting prices from the US for either coils or Arnott air struts via Rockauto.  I'm leaning very much towards a coil conversion from Strutmaster because if really good quality ones were fitted I don't see how that could be a bad thing.  

5 minutes ago, skyway said:

I had those on my 1st LS430..... after I sorted the misaligned rubber mount

The problem with having coilovers fitted seems to be the ones with adjustable height and damping, plus poor quality springs. The guy with the RX in Brighton who did his conversion got them from Taiwan, at least Strutmaster use American cold wound springs which does seems to be very important.  I'm waiting until they open so I can phone them because when I order and try to check out the shipping cost trebles from that listed!

You could replace with lexus coils and shocks. I tried coilovers in a 430, didn't last long. I posted about it

I did look at this option but they work out the same price as air shocks.

6 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Is this vid possibly relevant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d75LKju1ajE

Yes, I have seen that before but my bushes are fine.  The fact that the car bounces badly in that corner can only be caused by a bad shock.  In fact it had the same problem at the rear when I bought it so I replaced that one with a used unit.  I've talked for ages about getting some from the US so assuming they come up with a sensible shipping cost I'll be ordering them today.

Nothing ventured and all that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skyway said:

I was lead to believe those strut masters are rebranded monroe shocks.

And worked great for me... are you going to fit them yourself Phil?

I may do, it all depends on time/weather as my garage is too small but the drive is plenty big enough. I could get the car in but I couldn't get out of the door!  I only know about Strutmaster from what I read and what the company says.  If you look at all their videos they fit these kits on so many cars, including Mercedes S class etc, so time will tell.  It's £900 with shipping plus customs/VAT which is about £350. 

• Like 1

I took mine off and on again well ... one of them, hardest part was breaking the rusty bolts and nuts free of course with yours you should have no problems in that regard with that beautiful rust free celsior

26 minutes ago, skyway said:

I took mine off and on again well ... one of them, hardest part was breaking the rusty bolts and nuts free of course with yours you should have no problems in that regard with that beautiful rust free celsior

I think the bolts should be ok to shift, I noticed when we had it up in the air the front strut bolts were still the factory gold colour. I may also just cut the airlines as well to make things easier.  

I continue to be amazed by the knowledge, ingenuity and determination by members on these forums to keep their cars in good working order and of course extending the lives of their vehicles. Also for all the help you all give to us less knowledgeable and able. THANKS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

I continue to be amazed by the knowledge, ingenuity and determination by members on these forums to keep their cars in good working order and of course extending the lives of their vehicles. Also for all the help you all give to us less knowledgeable and able. THANKS!

I'm with you Jeff, I've learned so much about these cars since I had my first LS400 several years ago, the help and advice has been invaluable, and much money saved!  I'm always so thankful to those who share their knowledge and experiences.

• Like 3