Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When looking for some front LBJs a few years ago the Blueprint ones were more expensive than OEM Lexus. But worth comparing prices in general as they do seem to be of reasonable quality and sponsor quite a few magazine car repair projects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

BUT NOT for UCAs, believe me, they prematurely fail compared to OEM

Malc

My thinking was drop links are easy to fit so worth the risk, but as you say, not worth chancing it for a major part, especially one that's a pain to fit like the UCA.

27 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I would not hesitate to use Blueprint parts. I used there drop links on my GS without problems.

John

It was interesting trying to move the ball joints in the new ones compared to the old!  I'll wait until my new shock absorbers arrive and get them fitted at the same time. 

15 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

It was interesting trying to move the ball joints in the new ones compared to the old!  I'll wait until my new shock absorbers arrive and get them fitted at the same time. 

The ball joints are very stiff to move by hand. The one's that came off my car were easy to articulate, but there seemed no play. However the new parts cured the knock.

John.

20 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The ball joints are very stiff to move by hand. The one's that came off my car were easy to articulate, but there seemed no play. However the new parts cured the knock.

John.

I was really hoping that was my problem but after yesterday's discovery of my bouncy castle that's sadly not the case. 

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I was really hoping that was my problem but after yesterday's discovery of my bouncy castle that's sadly not the case. 

Phil I am sorry to hear your problem is at the expensive end of the scale.
I have done much research into the workings of the GS 450H  adjustable shocks made by KYB including dismantling both fronts, and rears to fully understand there workings. I do not know how they compare with the air spring versions or even if the air spring can be removed from the shock.
On the GS shocks it is possible to get a knocking when the oil in the shock is low due to leakage. I have found a method of refilling these, and fitting an extra seal to back up the original so to speak. Fitting the extra new seal does not seam to be always required as once the oil is replaced under pressure the original seal seams to work well again on some I have refilled.

John.

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

Phil I am sorry to hear your problem is at the expensive end of the scale.
I have done much research into the workings of the GS 450H  adjustable shocks made by KYB including dismantling both fronts, and rears to fully understand there workings. I do not know how they compare with the air spring versions or even if the air spring can be removed from the shock.
On the GS shocks it is possible to get a knocking when the oil in the shock is low due to leakage. I have found a method of refilling these, and fitting an extra seal to back up the original so to speak. Fitting the extra new seal does not seam to be always required as once the oil is replaced under pressure the original seal seams to work well again on some I have refilled.

John.

Thanks John.

I bought my Celsior knowing a rear shock was bad, it had oil misting and bounced a lot.  The front is now bouncing but not leaking visibly yet. Sadly there is no way to refurb air shocks.  The ones I've ordered are apparently engineered to the LS and (according to their info) made to sit and stay at the correct ride height. The LS430 was made with conventional suspension as well, especially in the US, and I've been in another member's Celsior with coils and I couldn't tell the difference.  I've spoken to the guys in the US and they convinced me!  They told me they sold 14 kits for the 430 last month alone.  Here's hoping.  I'm happy to spend on what is otherwise an immaculate car inside, outside and underneath, and it's still only on 69k.

• Like 2

Phil. I cannot fault your reasoning. If you were to replace the car you would have to spend much more than the cost of the parts you are buying with no guarantee you would not end up paying for repair parts for the replacement vehicle. Better the devil you know comes to mind.
Good luck with your en-devours.

John. 

• Thanks 1

I have got to have some ball jointy thing at the front end replaced, apparently it is moving a bit too much up and down but not side to side ? For me Blueprint stuff is decent stuff. The LS 400 is a special occassion car for me and does some decent long journeys at times. Every week it gets a decent 30 to 50 mile run out but with the very moderate mileage I will do a component from Lexus that is supposed to last 100000 miles plus is not worth it, if  Blue Print only last half that life it is more than enough for me, and the price differential is massive.

18 minutes ago, Wisemonkey said:

I have got to have some ball jointy thing at the front end replaced, apparently it is moving a bit too much up and down but not side to side ? For me Blueprint stuff is decent stuff. The LS 400 is a special occassion car for me and does some decent long journeys at times. Every week it gets a decent 30 to 50 mile run out but with the very moderate mileage I will do a component from Lexus that is supposed to last 100000 miles plus is not worth it, if  Blue Print only last half that life it is more than enough for me, and the price differential is massive.

Which ball jointy thing do you need?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wisemonkey said:

plus is not worth it,

check that out specifically, some of the Blue\print stuff is fine

the UCAs from Blue\Print for my Mk3 cost about £250 each

The OEM Toyota / Lexus original parts from Amayama cost almost exactly the same to include carriage, Customs Duty and VAT and Handling fees this end, about £250 each

and I know the BluePrint UCA lasted about 25% of the OEM part as I had to replace that " new " BluePrint UCA at 43k miles, it had worn out

Malc

24 minutes ago, Wisemonkey said:

The Acre asks which ball joint thingy ?  Taken off the MOT advisory : Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play.

Cheers,

If it's the one I'm thinking of it seems to be about £70 for Blueprint.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, Wisemonkey said:

if  Blue Print only last half that life it is more than enough for me, and the price differential is massive.

Exactly my logic when I need the top arm for my GS. Lexus was £450+ but ECP was 70 quid. Even if I'm paying someone to fit it you can't argue with that price.

I’ve been very lucky with mine.

Replaced both front LBJs with OEM Lexus parts in 2010 at a cost of £120.00 the pair, had the passenger side UCA fail after dropping into a huge pothole and managed to find an brand new OEM one on eBay for £125.00 compared to Lexus price of £513.00!

Replaced both rear springs with KYBs after one broke for around £90.00, even after 25 years the TEMS dampers/shock absorbers are still serviceable.

Just gained another years ticket with no advisories and with the mileage I now do ( less than 2K a year) I still can’t justify replacing it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links