Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Caliper slider plates broken - missing

Hi, I removed the pads, calipers and discs on my 1996 LS400 ready to install new discs and pads and do some front suspension work (strut bar bushes). As I removed the pads some metal plates just fell out (one square shaped and another thin piece), I put all the anti squeal plates and pins etc in a box (including the small metal plates that dropped off) ready to clean up when the time came to put the new discs and pads. Now I'm ready to do the brakes I had a look at the small metal plates and the calipers to see where they came from. It transpires that there are metal 'shaped' plates fixed to the inside of the caliper at either end. Looks like the pad edges slide on these plates to protect the aluminium caliper housing, that's the best way I can describe them. At first it looked like they are just at one end of the caliper but after looking at a picture of a 'good' caliper they should be at both ends. I've not examined my calipers in detail yet but I suspect there are more missing 'metal plates' than the ones that fell off.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and can I do without them rather than replace the calipers?

I suspect not though and I don't want to skimp on the brakes at all, if it was just one plate fallen off I would probably have metal bonded back on but, as said above, I suspect there are others missing completely which is a different matter.

If you feel the integrity of the calipers as been compromised just exchange them for refurbished as a core unit ,the refurbishers will take care of any missing bits on yours before they sell them again.

3 hours ago, ambermarine said:

If you feel the integrity of the calipers as been compromised just exchange them for refurbished as a core unit ,the refurbishers will take care of any missing bits on yours before they sell them again.

I'll have a proper look tonight and decide what to do, Brakes International sell refurbished calipers for £128 plus £24 surcharge each so I'll fit them if needed. I've used them for all my cars in the past and not had any issues. I normally take the old ones off, take them with me to compare and make sure they are correct, no need to pay the surcharge then.

22 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Aren't those highlighted sections part of the casting? as pad guides.

Bigger pic available within the eBay ad; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323850604441

I don't see any such clips within LS400 caliper service kits.

They are not part of the casting itself and are pad guides but they are sort of riveted to the casting so not replaceable. But, I’ve just had a proper look and it’s not as bad as I thought. It’s just the one bigger bit and a smaller bit fallen off, it’s difficult to explain but will take some pictures at the weekend. Any how, I’m happy to fix them in place with some kind of metal bond which will be fine.

• Like 1

Hi

Are you sure they are not removable and haven't been welded in by time/heat and dust?

On the MK4 all metal work falls out and clips in! 😀

Definitely need photos...

The pic is from Home Depot ad in the US showing some of the metal work from 1995-2000 for one side.

There are also two plates/inserts please refer to Autozone diagram = excellent.centric-brake-parts-141-44170-64_1000.thumb.jpg.2d502ff881d35a6594c3faa4115927c3.jpgDiagram.gif.15b3fa1876f848e8857935531a67a57f.gif  

On 11/7/2019 at 2:00 PM, Tinonline said:

Are you sure they are not removable and haven't been welded in by time/heat and dust?

Thanks but I’m 100% sure they are not removable parts, unless the rivet fixing them them to the caliper is drilled out, and are not listed/shown on any parts diagram I have seen. They are part of the caliper itself. I intended to take some photos but I forgot. I’ve been doing so much work on the front suspension it slipped my mind. The best way I can describe the bits in question is: if you look at the caliper from the front without pads, there are thin metal plates at the back in the corners and also at the front - top and bottom - all both sides. Unless you really clean the calipers and specifically look for them you probably won’t notice them. I was looking because some bits had come adrift. You can see them on the Brakes International website picture of the front calipers, look in the corners as described above.

image.thumb.jpeg.1db427a4e04013855c13b122f94e1bf5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

I see...might be time for some recon callipers?

I was prepared to buy new calipers but I glued the bits back in with epoxy and put some pressure on until it all set. Worked really well and I’m happy that it’s all safe and the brakes work as they should. I don’t think I’ll have any trouble but if I do I’ll get some recon calipers, I really don’t think I will need to though.

12 minutes ago, ROYT said:

Check with Lexus, they are removable on series two, and hopefully available for UCF20

Check this part number 47789-50011

Interesting info as this part is not quoted as a replacement on any brake suppliers sites but is by Lexus .Lexus spacer.pdfLexus spacer.pdfLexus spacer.pdfLexus spacer.pdf

On 11/12/2019 at 10:47 AM, ROYT said:

Check with Lexus, they are removable on series two, and hopefully available for UCF20

Check this part number 47789-50011

I know this part which fits on each of the pads and it isn’t the bit/s that were broken. If that’s what you mean that is.