Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LEXUS  RX 450H MODEL YEAR 2013  sat nav is SHOCKING, i have had the vehicle approx four weeks, every time I set the system up and start my journey, it sends me the wrong way ie directing me off the motor way  adding at least 15 / 20 miles to the journey, I have contacted the dealership, with not any help as such  an upgrade they say will cost £300  this in my mind will only give new Routes ect 

I have when planning my route selected the required information ie motorway only ect but Still it continues to head off in a completely different direction.

Many thanks for your response and suggestion, this was mentioned to me by the dealership I went mad with their advice, saying I didn’t Not Buy a Luxury Brand vehicle to stick a Tom Tom or any other sat nav on the dash .

once again thank you for your information.

william 

• Like 1

Almost all Lexus onboard navigation systems are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. They are completely counter-intuitive, clunky, and really not fit for purpose.

I used to use a TomTom and could get that set up with my destination and actually be driving before I had even completed inputting my destination in the Lexus nav.

However, even my TomTom has now gone the way of the Dodo and I tend to use Waze on my phone. Maps are always up to date, easy to follow, easy to set up and use and, possibly the best bit, they can be updated with live traffic info from other Waze users within two minutes of something happening, as you'll see from the photo below.

57 minutes ago, W Nally said:

Many thanks for your response and suggestion, this was mentioned to me by the dealership I went mad with their advice, saying I didn’t Not Buy a Luxury Brand vehicle to stick a Tom Tom or any other sat nav on the dash

I feel your pain as do many of us on here but I'm afraid it's the only option if you wish to remain sane.

waze1.thumb.png.39e0bffa8ded810835a0f87d60224f01.png

Is it just me that finds the satnav to be sufficient for their needs? It hasn't failed me yet, inside or outside the M25 and I'm quite satisfied with the overall experience.

I value the integration more than anything. The HUD is the safest place to read directions, and the voice guidance is clear and timely, lowering your music as appropriate. No faffing with mounting and charging other devices. So I guess I'm prepared to cut the integrated system plenty of slack.

However, I do agree with the substance of your post. The system has definitely tried to send me - initially - in a direction that doesn't make sense or is sub-optimal. But I'm in the habit of always planning my own major roads, or the first leg at the very least. So I ignore the initial phase and stick to my own plan, then follow the satnav. Having only ever used an ancient, out-of-date TomTom, this is a routine I'm comfortable with.

Nav on my RX450h told me I had arrived at my home address over a mile and several turns before doing so and again when I did arrive home.  It also took me out of my way a number of times on several trips.  A great shame because the graphics are good and the lady giving the recorded instructions as set when I bought the car has a very pleasant voice.  Also, being well recessed into the dash there is not the glare seen in some other Lexus and marques  where is looks like the Nav has been perched on the dash like an afterthought. I too have opted for a TomTom (a 6 inch model) with both free maps and camera updates.  I found the optimum position is to the right of the steering wheel.  I made a platform for mine as after an experience on another car, I didn't wish to risk the suction arrangement to fail and startle me when driving. Pics of TT mounted seen in this thread (sorry for  duplication of pics couldn't edit these out) -:

Not the pic shown by radio which site has automatically embedded but as in thread several times!

William.
Have you got the satnav set to avoid motorway? In settings there are choices of routs to avoid such as ferries toll roads, and motorways. The navigation also usually gives three routes, fastest shortest ect.
I know the system is not very intuitive, but I have found it reliable for getting where I wish to go.

John. 

9 minutes ago, Britprius said:

William.
Have you got the satnav set to avoid motorway? In settings there are choices of routs to avoid such as ferries toll roads, and motorways. The navigation also usually gives three routes, fastest shortest ect.
I know the system is not very intuitive, but I have found it reliable for getting where I wish to go.

John. 

The only thing is the maps are out of date even if you upgrade to the latest for your car, and they are prohibitively expensive too. My map was upgraded to the 17/18 version by the previous owner at its service and it cost him £175 for Lexus to do it. Google maps on a phone or tablet is free and up to date all the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gliderpilot said:

The only thing is the maps are out of date even if you upgrade to the latest for your car, and they are prohibitively expensive too. My map was upgraded to the 17/18 version by the previous owner at its service and it cost him £175 for Lexus to do it. Google maps on a phone or tablet is free and up to date all the time. 

Peter I totally agree, but I was rely responding as to why William's satnav was possibly sending him off the route he was expecting.

John. 

Hi.. my RX400 sat nav isn’t too bad. It will want to throw you off course , but that happened in the BMW X5 I once loaned..

You realise that sat nav is only meant as a guide.. it’s pretty important that you know where you want to go and know the main lay points yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ISJason said:

Hi.. my RX400 sat nav isn’t too bad. It will want to throw you off course , but that happened in the BMW X5 I once loaned..

You realise that sat nav is only meant as a guide.. it’s pretty important that you know where you want to go and know the main lay points yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your information regarding Sat Nav , it’s extremely kind of you.

kind regards,

william 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links