Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Asda E5 new name for unleaded ?

It's because E10 is being bought to forecourts soon, and although %5 (E5) ethanol does not have to be shown at the pump 10% (E10) does, and this helps differentiate between the two when E10 is provided.

John.  

• Like 2

It's because E10 is being bought to forecourts soon, and although %5 (E5) ethanol does not have to be shown at the pump 10% (E10) does, and this helps differentiate between the two when E10 is provided.
John.  
I took this from the RAC site3300f76ac968d4b705142be846f5fdd7.jpg

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A quick bit of research shows that about 95% of the fuel in USA is E10. 

So I assume Lexus is okay running on this mixture over the pond, but I assume Lexus UK might have a different stance.

I assume you get a little less mpg, as calorific value of the Ethonal is lower.

A quick bit of research shows that about 95% of the fuel in USA is E10. 
So I assume Lexus is okay running on this mixture over the pond, but I assume Lexus UK might have a different stance.
I assume you get a little less mpg, as calorific value of the Ethonal is lower.
Yes but they don't use petrol they use gasoline....and they drive on the wrong side of the road....[emoji38]

• Haha 2

Thank you Phil, that's quite clear then

Remember a few years back i was touring Italy for a month and I regularly refilled with the only seemingly available petrol, E10  and thankfully my car was ok

BUT I shall heed this for the future to only use           E5

Malc

All LS430s are fine with E10 as are most LS460s and LS600Hs.
However, LS400s are only OK if manufactured (NOT registered) after Jan 1998, so Mk4s are OK.

From this site https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

Lexus: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:
• IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between August 2005 and September 2007.
• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between January 2005 and September 2007.
• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between August 2006 and September 2007.

For these other models, I guess they must have used seals or o-rings that dissolve in Ethanol. 🙄

11 hours ago, Greer said:

Very usable info on all this, I have not topped up yet since whenever these labels t pumps started

Here, in Holland, the authorities have made it very easy to identify the two types. What used to be 'standard' unleaded is now E10 and 'super' unleaded is now E5. Since I have always used super-unleaded I continue to use E5 - which is just as well, as my 460 fits into that narrow band which MUST use it.

1 hour ago, Greer said:

This post is really an essential post to potential LS 400 potential buyers & fans, I am one, heres a sample, 5k, 73,000 & almost unusable due to E10 petrol imminent......Caveat Emptor has never been more approriate!................................................https://bit.ly/2PQCYgD

I just sent the seller this: - 'Are you aware that this car will be unusable when E10 petrol is the norm at the pumps?' -

I've also sent same message to this 15k 1997 seller.........https://bit.ly/2rdnYz2

Are you considering buying either of them? Are you limiting yourself to Lexus or slowly working your way through eBay?

Unleaded means no lead and is usually 95RON (Research Octane Number).
Super Unleaded means no lead and is usually 97-99RON.

All UK petrols (Unleaded and Super Unleaded) are E5 (and have been for over 10 years) as they contain up to 5% Ethanol.
Soon this will be increased to E10 and that is when the owners of older cars will need to start paying attention at the pumps.
My understanding is that like in Europe, both E5 and E10 will be available simultaneously, but over time E5 will be slowly phased out.
However, some stations will be allowed to keep E5 for use in "historic" vehicles.

Eventually you will have to make a choice like with leaded petrol on whether to convert your vehicle to E10 or replace the vehicle.
Converting is gonna be expensive as you will have to rebuild the entire fuel supply system with ethanol tolerant materials, from fuel pump right through to the injectors.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/what-is-e10-fuel-and-how-could-it-affect-you/

3 hours ago, Greer said:

What does it actually say on the pump to give the information E5 was simply unleaded >until this post< I had never of E5 or E10 & before this post I would not have any idea at all that E5 recently meant unleaded!!.......doubt I'm alone in that knowledge as I drove past filling stations as recent as Monday & they were still advertising unleaded etc!! in the normal way

Many years ago 5% ethanol was added to petrol without the consumer being made aware at the great majority of petrol stations "not all". The law did not require the petrol companies to inform us at the pump that we were not buying anything other than 100% petrol. Now that the amount of ethanol is being increased to 10% the law states that exactly what we are buying is shown at the pumps.
This addition should bring down the price of fuel, but we all know it will just be a way for the petrol companies to make more profit without any gains "in fact there will be a loss in economy" for the customer. Many vehicles will be scraped or have to be modified if "or perhaps I should say when" E10 becomes compulsory along the lines of the change over from leaded to unleaded fuel.
I guarantee millions of pounds will be spent promoting the non existent benefits to the customer of using the fuel, and even more millions fitting tanks, pumps, and notices to forecourts across the country. All of this of course will be paid for by us. Many people already buy the supper unleaded grades of fuel at a premium to try to avoid ethanol, but doing this is now area dependent some counties having no ethanol added while other counties do have it added with no requirement for the consumer to be told.

Ethanol is a solvent to many materials used as gaskets or diaphragms, but it is also hygroscopic attracting water vapor that turns into liquid water in the bottom of fuel tanks. If the tanks are not lined the bottom of the tank rusts passing debris into the fuel system, and eventually making a hole in the tank. Ethanol is also a solvent to your paintwork so do not leave any spillages to stay on areas beneath the filler neck. Roll on electric vehicles, and solar panels at home to charge them.

John.  

Many years ago 5% ethanol was added to petrol without the consumer being made aware at the great majority of petrol stations "not all". The law did not require the petrol companies to inform us at the pump that we were not buying anything other than 100% petrol. Now that the amount of ethanol is being increased to 10% the law states that exactly what we are buying is shown at the pumps.
This addition should bring down the price of fuel, but we all know it will just be a way for the petrol companies to make more profit without any gains "in fact there will be a loss in economy" for the customer. Many vehicles will be scraped or have to be modified if "or perhaps I should say when" E10 becomes compulsory along the lines of the change over from leaded to unleaded fuel.
I guarantee millions of pounds will be spent promoting the non existent benefits to the customer of using the fuel, and even more millions fitting tanks, pumps, and notices to forecourts across the country. All of this of course will be paid for by us. Many people already buy the supper unleaded grades of fuel at a premium to try to avoid ethanol, but doing this is now area dependent some counties having no ethanol added while other counties do have it added with no requirement for the consumer to be told.
Ethanol is a solvent to many materials used as gaskets or diaphragms, but it is also hygroscopic attracting water vapor that turns into liquid water in the bottom of fuel tanks. If the tanks are not lined the bottom of the tank rusts passing debris into the fuel system, and eventually making a hole in the tank. Ethanol is also a solvent to your paintwork so do not leave any spillages to stay on areas beneath the filler neck. Roll on electric vehicles, and solar panels at home to charge them.
John.  
and who'll be able to afford an electric car...not me, so the govt will reduce pollution and in so doing will decrease the amount of traffic on the roads. Then they're going to have to tax something else to compensate for the loss of revenue currently on fuel and road tax...and so it goes on!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, ambermarine said:

Hi Guys 

Check this out and if you have a pre 98 Lexus you can't use E10 Lexus say ,a 2006 LS 460 version is also suspect as well as some other models that are not LS.

ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf 167.88 kB · 20 downloads

Well this is an interesting thread to wake up to this morning, as I just filled up blindly at morrisons just happy I did not fuel up using the Black handle again...(A hard earned lesson from 15 years ago).

I noticed in the document it says European models, I do wonder then how those with a Celsior will fair.

1 hour ago, skyway said:

I do wonder then how those with a Celsior will fair.

I think the stores plan is to re-word everything in Japanese too 😂

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links