Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Asda E5 new name for unleaded ?

On 11/6/2019 at 8:06 AM, Tulpen said:

Here, in Holland, the authorities have made it very easy to identify the two types.

The question is  - Are the UK Authorities as smart as the Dutch ones, or will we not have a clue when buying our fuel.

My experience if working in Netherlands is the Dutch hate bullsh*t, where as UK is full of that kind of stuff when government involved.

I guess I am lucky to have a Mk4.

• Like 2

From someones comments about "foreign language stuff", perhaps we should have it all spelt out in big letters and words of 2 syllables or less?
You asked a question, and you got answers. If you don't understand the answers, then maybe you should put a bit of effort into educating yourself rather than relying on others to do it for you. Lesson learned, won't be answering your questions again.

28 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

then maybe you should put a bit of effort into educating yourself

" In so far as the 1893 Act applied (immediately before the operation of the repeals made by this Act) to contracts made before 1 January 1894 (when the 1893 Act came into operation), the 1893 Act shall continue so to apply notwithstanding this Act. "

I tried all of that and got a little confused :yahoo:

it's usually so much more pleasant to ask you guys simple Qs and get relevant comprehendable answers ( most of the time that is :whistling: )

Malc

To summarise:

All LS models MANUFACTURED before Jan 1998 and LS460 (code 1ur-fse) manufactured between Aug 2006 and Sep 2007 need to use E5. All other LS models can use E10. It just means that those of us who need to refuel with E5 need to know where the relevant pumps are, because not all forecourts will have them. It's no different to those of you who have LPG fitted, you plan your journeys around LPG availability. Note that this info ONLY applies to cars made for the European market. I don't have any data on imports.

I'm sure that some enterprising individual will produce an app with the info on E5 locations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We spend some time in Thailand and they have fully embraced ethanol most unleaded is 10-15% ethanol. I ride a CBF 650 over there and only run it on the full fat unleaded as it pinks on the ethanol stuff and actually does around 10% less to the gallon, I think some if their fuel is 94 Ron. Same with our diesel pick up vast difference in fuel quality between standard and premium diesel, but fuel is roughly two thirds of our price even with the poor exchange rate. They are also imposing restrictions based on euro standard of the engine so when I bought the Hilux 3.0 I thought it was smart to get the discount on the outgoing  euro 4 model and now regret not paying list to get euro 5. Actually the main Toyota agent charges about £65 for a full service and synthetic oil on the Hilux, bike is about £ 35 equivalent. Chaeap compared to the ZuK.

I've asked staff at three local filling stations - Asda, Shell and an independent - about this, and none of them knew anything about the change to E10.  At Asda and Shell they also didn't realise that the standard unleaded pump is marked 'E5'.  My mechanic didn't know about it either until I told him this morning.  He's going to investigate, as he maintains a lot of old cars (mine was registered in January 1998, so probably manufactured in late 1997).

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

I've asked staff at three local filling stations - Asda, Shell and an independent - about this, and none of them knew anything about the change to E10.  At Asda and Shell they also didn't realise that the standard unleaded pump is marked 'E5'.  My mechanic didn't know about it either until I told him this morning.  He's going to investigate, as he maintains a lot of old cars (mine was registered in January 1998, so probably manufactured in late 1997).

Just ask Google.  https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/petrol-and-diesel-renamed/

On 11/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, Tulpen said:

To summarise:

All LS models MANUFACTURED before Jan 1998 and LS460 (code 1ur-fse) manufactured between Aug 2006 and Sep 2007 need to use E5. All other LS models can use E10. It just means that those of us who need to refuel with E5 need to know where the relevant pumps are, because not all forecourts will have them. It's no different to those of you who have LPG fitted, you plan your journeys around LPG availability. Note that this info ONLY applies to cars made for the European market. I don't have any data on imports.

I'm sure that some enterprising individual will produce an app with the info on E5 locations.

Just to add to my previous post...….

I called in to my local Lexus dealer/service centre and asked them to explain what the E5/E10 change will mean for Lexus models. They agreed with my earlier post and added a couple of other models that will need to use E5. They are:

Lexus IS250 2.5 litre V6 (code 4gr-fse) built between Aug 2005 and Sep 2007

Lexus GS300 3.0 litre V6 (code 3gr-fse) built between Jan 2005 and Sep 2007

They also said that, while E5 is recommended for these models, there might be a time when you need to fill up and there is none available locally. It won't be a problem if you put some E10 in - as long as you top up with E5 as soon as possible.

Again, this only applies to models made for the European market.    I asked about imports and they said they would try and find out - but not to hold my breath. Unlike in the UK, where you can import RHD from Japan relatively easily, there is no real market for that in mainland Europe.

• Like 2