Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h - which one to go for?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and am looking for my next daily family car.

The RX450h has caught my eye. With a budget of £9-13k I see I can get either a pre-face lift or face-lift car.

A few questions:

Could someone explain the difference, except for the grill?

What are the various trims available, Luxury, SE ?

What should I look out for?

Can these cars run electric only up to a certain speed or distance?

Can I expect 30mpg average?

Thanks all in advance, I look forward to searching for my first Lexus!

Iceboy

these are great cars, ultra reliable .. my only gripe is the limited storage space.

This is a true hybrid, so the electric mode is engaged whenever the computer decided that is more efficient, it can be at high speeds or low, usually more related to rate of speed change than actual speed .. loads of good articles about how the Toyota/Lexus hybrid works... worth a read as it will blow your mind (they're years ahead of the Euro brands)

we get 30 - 35mpg ... mostly my wife's over enthusiastic driving... I'm sure I could get 40 if she let me have it for a week.

as with any car, worth getting highest spec you can afford... but avoid the air suspension, that seems to be the only part people have trouble with.

1 hour ago, Iceboy said:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and am looking for my next daily family car.

The RX450h has caught my eye. With a budget of £9-13k I see I can get either a pre-face lift or face-lift car.

A few questions:

Could someone explain the difference, except for the grill?

What are the various trims available, Luxury, SE ?

What should I look out for?

Can these cars run electric only up to a certain speed or distance?

Can I expect 30mpg average?

Thanks all in advance, I look forward to searching for my first Lexus!

Iceboy

I average above 30mpg. Over the last 27000 miles according to my phone app I have averaged 33.6 mpg. Car will run for about 2 miles electric only but only at around 27mph or slower. 

Luxury trim is fine. My car is Advance spec so has LED headlights and because mine is a late version has ML stereo as standard. Check bodywork and underneath carefully. A full Lexus history is in my opinion a 'must' as is a Lexus warranty These are expensive cars new and you don't want a car that has been messed with. 

Being a gold member here will help as my dealer gives me 15% discount on most things. Remember the big 60,000 mile service is in excess of £700 due to the labour involved in the plug change. 

I saved £111 on this service thanks to my gold membership. 

With your budget I would hunt for a lower mileage older car from a franchise dealer with a Lexus warranty and push to get a longer warranty in the deal. 

Good hunting - you will love it

how did you manage to get discount on the the service.????..

I tried this with two dealers (Canterbury and Tunbridge), they both refused to allow the club discount, as they said their pricing was fixed by Lexus UK.  They also refused to allow the discount on parts, as they are apparently already at trade prices.... so far I have never seen any discount from Lexus due to the club discount, only seems to work in halfrauds... a lot of money for a few quid on a bottle of screen wash!

There is  list of Lexus dealerships that will except gold member discount cards in the Gold members section i think.

i know lexus Coventry does as i have had some great savings on my services from them, the gold membership fee is easily got back on just one service alone.

Also very useful for Halfords discount on polishes or dash cams etc.

I'm gong to cancel mine, as the Kent dealers just refused to accept it over the previous few years.. it is interesting you have had different experience, by they blankly refused it... both for parts and servicing.

My view, car is great, dealers are not so good, frequently miss items in servicing, no discount, refusal to price match on tyres etc...

There all the same it's just a different bumper and slight light difference once your in the car there all the same ,don't get hung up on avoiding air suspension if it does go Pete tong you just buy used struts assembly's of a non air model there a doddle to change .

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2019 at 12:13 PM, jumbojake said:

how did you manage to get discount on the the service.????..

I tried this with two dealers (Canterbury and Tunbridge), they both refused to allow the club discount, as they said their pricing was fixed by Lexus UK.  They also refused to allow the discount on parts, as they are apparently already at trade prices.... so far I have never seen any discount from Lexus due to the club discount, only seems to work in halfrauds... a lot of money for a few quid on a bottle of screen wash!

I asked Lexus Coventry yesterday re discount and they said they don't offer this any more.

• Sad 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, Guest said:

There is  list of Lexus dealerships that will except gold member discount cards in the Gold members section i think.

i know lexus Coventry does as i have had some great savings on my services from them, the gold membership fee is easily got back on just one service alone.

Also very useful for Halfords discount on polishes or dash cams etc.

Lexus Hedge End do the 15% discount and are very efficient.

Whilst I was there,I went into the nearest Halfords for a Noco starter pack and was not able to get the LOC discount.Apparantley it was because the item was for sale at a discounted price.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ken R said:

Halfords no longer offering discounts to LOC apparently.

That's unfortunate.  Not all their staff are aware so hope this is not official policy.

I got the discount off a fairly small 25Lcompressor about 3 months ago when I handed them my card but the first salesman was unaware and had to check with his superior.