Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stock HID lights

One of the things that can be done is to check how much voltage loss there is in the cars wiring system before it gets to the bulb. This can easily be 10% on a new system, and over 20% on an older system with corroded connections. This is for halogen or incandescent bulbsDo not try this with HID lights.
First check the voltage at the Battery with the engine running. Then under the same conditions check the voltage at the headlamp bulb with the lights turned on. Subtract the second reading from the first this is the loss in the cars wiring. Fitting higher wattage bulbs will increase the system voltage loss eg going from a 55 watt bulb to a 100 watt bulb will virtually double the system loss.

If the voltage drop is more than 0.5 volts it is worthwhile Taking a fused 12 volt feed direct from the Battery to relays fitted close to the headlamps. The relay coils are fed by the original bulb supply, and the bulbs are fed from the new 12 volt Battery feed via the relay contacts.
This may sound complicated, but is rely very easy, and will eliminate the the losses in the cars system. One volt lost in wiring is one volt lost to the output of the bulb or about 8.5%. Two volts lost is a 17% loss of light output.

Again. Do not try this with HID lights!!!

John.

• Like 2

For those just looking for a quick fix Osram do a range of updated halogen and hid bulbs, some claiming 200% increase in light output.

In my experience these generally do work well but service life is dramatically reduced..

• Like 1

New HID bulbs have arrived! Which was pretty quick.... All installed, was a piece of cake. Despite not being able to feel my finger's... Lol. Definitely a whiter light and actually looked a little brighter than the oem one when side by side. Tonight will be the test especially as it's going to be raining...

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Inazone said:

New HID bulbs have arrived! Which was pretty quick.... All installed, was a piece of cake. Despite not being able to feel my finger's... Lol. Definitely a whiter light and actually looked a little brighter than the oem one when side by side. Tonight will be the test especially as it's going to be raining...

Any chance of a write up?

I've changed plenty of bulbs in the past, but never HID Xenon bulbs so am a bit afraid of the unknown 😮

After a few weeks of using the new cheapish eBay 5k bulbs, it would appear the passenger bulb has started to flicker every now and again... Have decided to bite the bullet and go for the latest osram laser hid bulbs, circa £140 for a pair! [emoji50]. After watching various YouTube videos of all the latest bulbs these ones came out on top with the highest luminosity. I've also seen a video of a guy driving around country roads at night and they look amazing! So roll on the weekend... Lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Inazone said:

After a few weeks of using the new cheapish ebay 5k bulbs, it would appear the passenger bulb has started to flicker every now and again... Have decided to bite the bullet and go for the latest osram laser hid bulbs, circa £140 for a pair! emoji50.png. After watching various YouTube videos of all the latest bulbs these ones came out on top with the highest luminosity. I've also seen a video of a guy driving around country roads at night and they look amazing! So roll on the weekend... Lol

Any chance you'd keep a camera handy to record what you do at the weekend? I'd really love to see a writeup ...

I've changed countless bulbs in the past, some easier than others - it's just I'm scared of the HID ones 😲

1 hour ago, route66 said:

Any chance you'd keep a camera handy to record what you do at the weekend? I'd really love to see a writeup ...

I've changed countless bulbs in the past, some easier than others - it's just I'm scared of the HID ones 😲

+1 please @Inazone

Just before pre-light up time, I sometimes can't tell if my (auto) lights are on or off! They're definitely dimmer than I recall with other cars I've owned in the past. If I switch them on manually while facing a wall, I notice that they come on bright and then instantly dim - like in some boot-up sequence.

Anyway ...

Can't wait for Alex's writeup 😉

On 11/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, route66 said:

I've changed countless bulbs in the past, some easier than others - it's just I'm scared of the HID ones

A bulb is a bulb is a bulb.

The only thing to be scared of with HID bulbs is the high voltage. It takes about 20 to 25,000V to strike the arc and about 70 to 80V to maintain it.

As long as you don't go poking around near the bulbs and/or ballasts while they're energised, and you wait for an hour or two after switching them off for the capacitors to drain their residual charge, you'll be fine - the mechanics of changing the bulbs is just the same as it ever was.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

It takes about 20 to 25,000V to strike the arc

As I said, I'm scared 😲 ...

I guess I'd just like to see what's involved, access, what needs to be disconnected, etc because the manual has nothing to say on it.

Well, other than go to your local Lexus dealer who I guess would be very happy to charge you a rather large sum of money!

On 11/20/2019 at 2:46 PM, Inazone said:

After a few weeks of using the new cheapish ebay 5k bulbs, it would appear the passenger bulb has started to flicker every now and again... Have decided to bite the bullet and go for the latest osram laser hid bulbs, circa £140 for a pair! emoji50.png. After watching various YouTube videos of all the latest bulbs these ones came out on top with the highest luminosity. I've also seen a video of a guy driving around country roads at night and they look amazing! So roll on the weekend... Lol

Are these the ones you bought - link?

Autobulbsdirect selling them for £109.99 (inc VAT) for a pair

Are these the ones you bought - link?
Autobulbsdirect selling them for £109.99 (inc VAT) for a pair
Yes, they are the ones. Still not picked them up from my neighbour yet, as was away at the weekend picking up an CT200H for the misses! Might get round to fitting them at the weekend. Should be quicker second time around. [emoji6][emoji3]

I bought these recently and fitted one just to compare. It is indistinguishable from a lower cost HID that I fitted in August 2016. These lower cost ones were £15.99/pair inc p&p from A&E Trading Ltd in Slough via eBay. (I wanted a UK supplier.)

John

Never had a car which came with Xenon as standard, although would like auto levelling for my next car. I have always retrofitted HID with cheap gear from China and really had no problems. 

The reason I also like retrofit is because the standard 35w hid that came with cars are alright but can be a lot brighter. Probably no car in the UK has more lumens in the headlights than mine, 5K hid is a happy medium I have found. 

31 minutes ago, 007M said:

I have always retrofitted HID with cheap gear from China and really had no problems. 

The reason I also like retrofit is because the standard 35w hid that came with cars are alright but can be a lot brighter. Probably no car in the UK has more lumens in the headlights than mine, 5K hid is a happy medium I have found. 

And that's why the MOT changed with regards to these modifications - you may have had no problems but I'll bet you've dazzled other drivers.

11 hours ago, Herbie said:

And that's why the MOT changed with regards to these modifications - you may have had no problems but I'll bet you've dazzled other drivers.

MOT changes, one of them was not to allow hid/led fit onto reflector headlight units. It can be fitted onto projectors units. 

U really cannot bet, as u probably have no experience with hid retrofit to know whether they dazzle or not. Since u don't know, I shall tell u. Its not different to how the lights are projected with a car manufactured with hid. With projectors no matter what light source it's put into, they have a cut off. Too much misformed information and scaremongering on internet forums. I have used hid with 55w even over 10 years ago. 

2 hours ago, 007M said:

MOT changes, one of them was not to allow hid/led fit onto reflector headlight units. It can be fitted onto projectors units. 

U really cannot bet, as u probably have no experience with hid retrofit to know whether they dazzle or not. Since u don't know, I shall tell u. Its not different to how the lights are projected with a car manufactured with hid. With projectors no matter what light source it's put into, they have a cut off. Too much misformed information and scaremongering on internet forums. I have used hid with 55w even over 10 years ago. 

The light source is not the only criteria for failing the MOT. Under the construction, and use regulations. If a vehicle has HID headlamps it must also be fitted with a self  leveling system for them "not a dashboard height control knob", and the headlamps must also have a washer system. Dirty headlamps with HID bulbs fitted cause severe light scatter. Lack of a washer or leveling system with HID is an MOT fail.
Headlamps are also marked with a code for the light source "this includes projector lights" this code denotes what the light source for a particular headlamp should be, and if the light source is incorrect it's an automatic MOT fail.

This is not misinformation.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

The light source is not the only criteria for failing the MOT. Under the construction, and use regulations. If a vehicle has HID headlamps it must also be fitted with a self  leveling system for them "not a dashboard height control knob", and the headlamps must also have a washer system. Dirty headlamps with HID bulbs fitted cause severe light scatter. Lack of a washer or leveling system with HID is an MOT fail.
Headlamps are also marked with a code for the light source "this includes projector lights" this code denotes what the light source for a particular headlamp should be, and if the light source is incorrect it's an automatic MOT fail.

This is not misinformation.

John.

With respect u are probably a lot more knowledgeable than me on motor vehicles in general. Regarding hid retrofit on projectors and mot u are not. You are reading on the internet and also make assumptions on hid and mot failure, as u and most people have no experience of putting a motor vehicle through the mot with retrofit hid. Hid retrofit is a guarantee touchy subject on internet forums, only from people who have little or no experience of it. 

With respect u are probably a lot more knowledgeable than me on motor vehicles in general. Regarding hid retrofit on projectors and mot u are not. You are reading on the internet and also make assumptions on hid and mot failure, as u and most people have no experience of putting a motor vehicle through the mot with retrofit hid. Hid retrofit is a guarantee touchy subject on internet forums, only from people who have little or no experience of it. 

With respect his answer was correct. Like any mot centre the testers dont always check things which is why things like lights get through, it has little to nothing to do with the kits. If your happy to use them then do so it's your choice. It's just pointed out that its against the mot standards.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, 007M said:

I am sorry, but I do not care how you try to justify the fitting of HID kits to none compliant housings does not make your facts correct. Further you make two assumptions that again are incorrect. One that I have no experience of these kits "i will not in any way justify them by calling them "retrofit", and secondly I did not get my information from the internet on HID, and MOT failure. Nor have I been influenced by my reeding of any forum.
It is true that there are numerous MOT testers that turn a blind eye or even do not know the difference between light systems, but with any testing situation there is always going to be some variations. However the lighting regulations under the construction, and use of motor vehicles are written in plane English, and available to read dare I say it on line.

John

• Like 1

MOT  test actual regulation number 4.1.4 compliance with requirements "Quote" Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp. Headlamps should be code marked DCR for HID

Defect category:- 

(C) Light source and lamp not compatible.  Failure category Major

Headlamp cleaning device

inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID).   Failure category  Major  

Headlamp levelling device inoperative.    Failure category   Major.

John.

• Like 1

From a supplier of conversion kits -

"Are HID Conversion Kits Legal?

Unfortunately, HID conversion kits are not road legal.

No aftermarket HID kit is strictly road legal as you are changing the lighting system (from halogen to gas discharge) in your car and for this reason the bulbs cannot be E marked which is a legal requirement. You also won't have the self leveling and washer systems installed which is also a legal requirement for HID. Without these installed, the kit would be an MOT failure."

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/faqs.html

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links