Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stock HID lights

Has anyone changed there stock HID bulbs for anything else? Mine appear to be quite yellow and tbh not very bright... My after market kit on my Supra is amazing in comparison. Just wondering if people have changed there's... Also how much hand scraping will it be to swap the bulbs...

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

They actually turn more blue/purple as they get older. If they start at, say, 4000K then by 5 years old they may be 5 or even 6000k. Just replace with new ones and you'll see a hell of a difference.

EDIT: Obviously got those figures wrong way round - if they start at 6000k they'll drop from there over time.

1 hour ago, Inazone said:

Does that happen? What is the colour K supposed to be for oem bulbs?

The OEM bulbs are rated at 4300 kelvin. I personally prefer using 5 K or 6 k bulbs for a whiter light, but anything higher than this gets to blue in color.
The headlamp covers can become a fogy yellow color when left in sunlight for many years, but if you can clearly see the internals of your headlamps this is not the problem.

John.

I will have to take a closer look at my headlights then. The outside plastic covers appear to be still nice and clear. Not sure about the projector lenses.
Any recommendations on 5K bulbs?

Ok thanks, I will take a look on fleabay and see what's about around the 5K colour range. I did spot a Philip's bulb which was nearly 80 quid!

Just get cheap hid bulbs. Having used 4300k-6000k bulbs over the years, yes I recommend 5000k as the best option.  

55w ballast will improve lumens for sure, don't know if cost a lot. I have always went the after market route for my hid as its cheap and I can get the ballast power I wanted. 

33 minutes ago, BigChange said:

Can anyone comment on   "Also how much hand scraping will it be to swap the bulbs.."  ?? 

My 300H is nearly 5 years old and I thought it was my eyes getting dimmer. Maybe not, after all. 

On my GS450H with hands like a pound of pork sausages there is plenty of opportunity. A torch, and a small hand mirror is a great help after removing the wash bottle filler tube.

John. 

12 hours ago, Inazone said:

Has anyone changed there stock HID bulbs for anything else? Mine appear to be quite yellow and tbh not very bright... My after market kit on my Supra is amazing in comparison. Just wondering if people have changed there's... Also how much hand scraping will it be to swap the bulbs...

I have always found the headlights in my 2014 IS300H Executive poor - especially the dipped ones. There was a thread about this earlier in the year (link) where - curiously - some people thought there was no problem.

If anyone does the swap to newer/brighter bulbs, I'd be very interested in the details! I'm not sure a bulb swap on the GS is relevant to IS owners - I'd guess there is heaps more space under it's bonnet.

2 hours ago, BigChange said:

Can anyone comment on   "Also how much hand scraping will it be to swap the bulbs.."  ?? 

My 300H is nearly 5 years old and I thought it was my eyes getting dimmer. Maybe not, after all. 

Halogen and HID bulbs degrades over time. Just get a cheap pair if it's HID, try not to get more than 6k temp. 

I have a Yaris and it's the same projectors lens for dipped and main beam, I destroyed a pair of hid bulbs due to improper use. Flashing over time in daylight conditions ruined it, lucky it only cost £8. Lesson learnt. 

Ok, so I've ordered some replacement HID bulbs off eBay, gone for 5K colour. Cost 18 quid for the pair. Not silly money if they don't work out. Write up sounds good. I have taken a couple of pictures of my lights shining on my garage door for some comparison with the new ones once they turn up! Did some reading up on the various HID technologies. Unsure why lexus went with the D4S format at 42V when the D2S uses 85V and has a higher lumen output at the same 35W's power... Was considering going for 55W ballasts but reading about higher temps generated etc but couldn't find any D4S format ballasts at 55W. Will see how the new bulbs go, and then take it from there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Rookie question...

Should I be afraid of upgrading the bulbs? I don't want to melt the headlights.

What is safe and within spec?

Are u talking about halogen bulbs or hid bulbs? Halogen is not a problem. 

Standard Hid bulbs with 55w ballast is not a problem. Once go higher ballast 75w onwards the hid bulbs base need to be made from ceramic. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 007M said:

Are u talking about halogen bulbs or hid bulbs? Halogen is not a problem. 

Really? So if you upgrade halogen bulbs from 55w to 100w, there would be no extra heat created or current drawn? 

There really is so much $hit spouted on car forums. :whistling:

6 hours ago, Martin F said:

Really? So if you upgrade halogen bulbs from 55w to 100w, there would be no extra heat created or current drawn? 

There really is so much $hit spouted on car forums. :whistling:

The difference current draw between 55w, and 100w is calculated by dividing the wattage by the supply voltage so:-

55 divided by 12 = 4.6 amps
100 divided by 12 = 8.3 amps

Not only is the current virtually doubled, but so is the heat output.

With halogen bulbs on the OEM circuit the voltage drop in the woefully inadequate wiring would double in effect under running the bulbs reducing the light output.
With HID lighting this effect is removed by the ballast "actually an output regulated voltage inverter" that compensates for input voltage drop by keeping the voltage to the bulb constant drawing more current from the supply.

There is grater heat output from halogen bulbs than HID bulbs of the same wattage. The HID bulbs being more efficient.

John.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Britprius said:

The difference current draw between 55w, and 100w is calculated by dividing the wattage by the supply voltage so:-

55 divided by 12 = 4.6 amps
100 divided by 12 = 8.3 amps

Not only is the current virtually doubled, but so is the heat output.

With halogen bulbs on the OEM circuit the voltage drop in the woefully inadequate wiring would double in effect under running the bulbs reducing the light output.
With HID lighting this effect is removed by the ballast "actually an output regulated voltage inverter" that compensates for input voltage drop by keeping the voltage to the bulb constant drawing more current from the supply.

There is grater heat output from halogen bulbs than HID bulbs of the same wattage. The HID bulbs being more efficient.

John.

Thanks, but funnily enough as an electronics engineer I already knew this. 

But it seems that our factual knowledge is discounted by the likes of 007m who say ‘it is not a problem’ 😂

• Thanks 1

So, what specification is safely recommended, that can increase brightness of what is fairly crap light output, without straining the wiring / damaging the lights?