Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter storage advice

2ddesign

Hi All, Looking for some advice and tips on storing my SC430 over winter in an unheated, no electric, garage.
First I have waterproofed the roof and hung a tarpaulin under the garage roof to collect condensation drips.
I plan to inflate all the tyres to max air pressure, some searches I have done on this and other forums show tyres on stands, thick foam etc.
I plan just to leave the tyres on the ground at the moment. Also I will place a bowl of salt inside the cabin to collect moisture a trick I used in my caravan.

Is it recommended to start the car up and run for 10 minutes every month? plan to leave it inside, end of November till May next year!
So Battery, unable to leave it on charge, but can I use a booster ie TACKLIFE T8 Mix jump starter connected to the Battery to provide it with power all the time and then remove every so often, to charge up to the return to vehicle. Or should I only place booster pack on the Battery to fire up the engine every month? 

Any tips and thoughts appreciated!
jack

Ideally it would be better to put the car on stands with the weight off both the tyres and suspension. Leave the parking brake off to avoid the possibility of the shoes sticking to the drums.

As for the Battery is it possible to use a solar panel perhaps on the roof of the garage to keep the Battery charged? If so use a solar panel with an output of an absolute minimum of 6 watts, but preferably 12 or 24 watts "the higher the better within reason". Ideally removing the Battery, and keeping it trickle charged indoors would be best, but I do realise this would mean refitting it every month. Make sure you can get to the Battery compartment with no 12 volt supply if the Battery is removed or becomes discharged.

Starting the car monthly sounds reasonable, but If the Battery is allowed to become discharged while standing it will become sulphated, and loose capacity. Jump starting while allowing you to start the car does not help the Battery fitted in the car.

John.

Hi John

Thank you for your advice! 

The Solar panel idea could be the best way to keep the Battery going without the Battery becoming sulphated. I do not want to remove the Battery and loose all the car settings, ecu, etc, only as a very last resort. Looked at this unit on Amazon would this be ok?

jack

Edited by 2ddesign
add web address

54 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi John

Thank you for your advice! 

The Solar panel idea could be the best way to keep the battery going without the battery becoming sulphated. I do not want to remove the battery and loose all the car settings, ecu, etc, only as a very last resort. Looked at this unit on Amazon would this be ok?

Jack

That would be an excellent choice. On bright winters days it will charge at about 2 amps for the duration of sunshine. On cloudy days it will be less than half that figure, but still enough to keep the Battery healthy over a 24 hour period with the alarm system working.
Try to connect it directly to the Battery as the cigarette lighter/power sockets on most Toyota/Lexus cars are not connected with the ignition off. 

John.

• Like 1

Hi John solar panel on order, I will set it up this w/e on the garage roof weather permitting....

Found this on an American Lexus site, Lexus own recommendations for storage!

jack

L-SB-0018-09-Long Term Vehicle Storage Guidelines.pdf

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi John solar panel on order, I will set it up this w/e on the garage roof weather permitting....

Found this on an American Lexus site, Lexus own recommendations for storage!

Jack

L-SB-0018-09-Long Term Vehicle Storage Guidelines.pdf 2.18 MB · 0 downloads

Hello jack.
Very useful information, but most of it is for very long storage periods.  For shorter periods say up to 6 months I think the important things to protect in no particular order are the 12volt Battery, the tyres, suspension (particularly air suspension), parking brake (leaving off), and turning the engine. Obviously things like covering the car with a ventilated cover even if in a garage does help, but is not essential. I say ventilated because can condensation cause problems if using plastic sheet type covers.
Being able to keep the 12 volt Battery charged not only protects the Battery, but enables memory items not to be lost, and allows the alarm to continue to work. 

John.

• Like 1