Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New E5 and E10 Petrol, IS250 affected

There is an interesting thread running on the LS forum.

Worth reading as if they phase out E5 Petrol and you can only get E10... Lexus say the following...

From this site https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

Lexus: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:
• IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between August 2005 and September 2007.
• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between January 2005 and September 2007.
• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between August 2006 and September 2007.

I use Esso Superunleaded in my classic bike as it has no ethenol, many other super unleaded brands do still use ethanol. The engine dates from the late forties so was designed for leaded fuel but the valve seats have been upgraded for handling unleaded fuel.

The big problem is the ethanol is that it is hygroscopic i.e. it absorbs water so the more ethanol the worse it is. I don't worry about the car because I do at least a tank of fuel a week on the Lexus so it's never in there long enough where as my bike sits unused all winter so if it was ethanol fuel the fuel tank corrodes inside.