Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H 2010 Boot not opening

Seems to be one fault after another !

After fitting new 12V Battery when all the Dash Lights went haywire , the first fault was the Drivers Side Front Door only locks and unlocks using the Key .

I have now just found out the Boot isnt unlocking Manually or with the Remote. I have tried disabling it with the Button in the Glove Box but still no joy .

The last time i can remember being open was when the Battery was changed about 3 - 4 weeks ago and i remember findinf a Triangular shaped bit of Plastic that was obviously something to do with the Boot Lock, but i couldnt work out where it went !

The Mechanic soon found out that it had come off from the open Tail Gate above my head and clicked it back into hopefully the correct position..... thinking now could it be upside down ??

Thanks in advance.

There's a reset procedure to go through if the 12V Battery is ever disconnected. You don't specifically mention them but I'll bet the windows and sunroof are also not operating properly either.

I can't remember the reset procedure but it'll be in the owners manual (available to download from Lexus if you haven't got one).

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies .

I havent got around to trying the Reset Procedure yet (Cant find my Owners Manual) .

Ive tried turning the switch off in the Glove Box but still no joy there . 

Had a quick look at the Owners Manual onlne and it looks like you can move a Lever after removing a piece of the lining on the inside of Tailgate ?

I havent got a Sunroof and all the Electric Windows are working OK.

Ive just removed the little cover from inside the boot and found the little lever behind it  .

Gave it a twist clockwise and the Tailgate unlocked so pushed Tailgate up to fully open position hoping i could press Remote and it would automatically close .

No joy so pushed it back shut  and still not working .

Looking like a trip to Main Agents !

• 3 years later...

How did you resolve this in the end?  I've got exactly the same thing - got my local garage to replace Battery in the boot.  Picked it up, and next try tried to open the boot - nothing.  Can't open it automatically or manually.  Its permanently shut.  Taken it back to the garage to get fixed, but he seems pretty stumped. 

Seems to be an issue with the motor by all accounts, mine did the same as yours then all of a sudden when the weather warmed up it burst into life, that was 3 years ago and has been fine ever since. I had my car in bits boot wise and I couldn’t find anything. Used one the eBay computer tie ins it found nothing I.e. no codes

Ah - thanks that is interesting.  My mechanic has had an auto-electrician out to look at it, and they were still stumped - no obvious faults at all.  I wish mine would spring back into life - maybe I'll get a hair dryer on it!

Its a bit like a more extreme version of an issue we've seen before when the Battery has gone flat. Sometimes weren't able to open the boot to get to the Battery to jump it (I know you can do it from the points under the bonnet).  And then randomly if you try it again a bit later, it opened.   But this has been permanently locked shut for a week now.

You need to do a reset.  That should solve it.  Start by manually opening the rear boot by first remotely opening central locking, open rear door and gain access to rear door manual control. Upon tailgate and raise to the fully raised position.

Remove Battery cover in rear and disconnect the negative terminal.  Leave disconnected for 10 seconds then reconnect.  Close rear door manually then manually raise it to the top again, close it and press central locking on your remote.  It should now all work.

This worked for me  after my Battery went flat and needed replacing.  Ensure button in glove compartment is enabled for remote operation.

The only time it didn't work was when the tail lift motor failed which was replaced under warranty.

• Like 2

It may not be the motor, it may be the CANBUS system just not conveying the message for the motor to operate, which a reset should fix.  If the reset doesn't work, then unfortunately, the motor seems to be the likely culprit.  Mine was only done under warranty as the car's within the 10 year coverage period

Morning all my first post just purchased a 450h on monday, I had exactly the same issue and while i wrangle with the dealer i needed to find a solution.

The gate would work after resetting and initialising the gate until the ignition and locks were cycled, after scoping the can i found the gate ecu was pulling down the low can signal. I checked the ecu and found no signs of water ingress although the roof was wet from where i imagine the car had not been used throughout the winter while at the dealer.

I have now removed the circuit board from the motor assembly sealed it in a ziplock bag and re attached it to the car. This seems to have at least made the gate useable manually making sure to isolate the auto function in the glove box.

It seems the either the motor or the motor position sensor was pulling the can down causing the other modules to loose comms with the gate module.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mobitech said:

It seems the either the motor or the motor position sensor was pulling the can down causing the other modules to loose comms with the gate module.

Good information, cheers Stuart :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, TheoRX said:

Deborah, I'd say you might do well to find a good mobile mechanic prepared to take on removing your suspension strut and you sending it to Brian at Orchard engineering for bearing repair, then them refitting it when its back. The powered boot is more complex - may needs diagnostics or perhaps just a new fuse?   Finding a clever mobile mechanic, may save you some hassle. good luck

On 1/10/2023 at 1:51 PM, RX450HPrem said:

Hi debs 

My door has also packed up - see my tread 😞

Not sure if you got your fixed ? I have just ordered a new motor from UAE for mine much cheaper than Lexus ! ill post on the forum my progress

Paul

Hi Paul

Just an update on my boot, I took the car to Lexus to diagnose the problem and they said I need a new motor, cost £1,665.41. Having read here that some peoples boots just started working again I was delaying doing anything, just in case. Anyway after about 5 months of the boot not working I was just going to research getting a new motor from Dubai and thought I would try the boot one more time and it opened!!! How can it be diagnosed that it needs a new motor when it clearly doesn't. £1,665.41 is a lot of money that someone could pay out which wasn't necessary. I have tried the boot about 5 times now and it is still working. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links