Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Right then. Been browsing on here and thought I'd sorted my brake issue (I have) on my Legacy 3.0... But yesterday something happened and it seems like a driveshaft issue so won't be able to save up just yet for that all elusive LS600H.

Been browsing and noticed the LS460 isn't much far off an LS600h (except for the excellent road tax, fuel economy and 4wd). Question is... is a 2008 or 2007 model LS560 with 130000 on the clock gonna be a minor money pit for me with bearing failures and suspension issues and other age related stuff. Cos quite frankly I'm not sure I can really afford them overheads as I wish to be saving for the 600...

Any and every input greatly appreciated including real world MPG if you drive nicely like eggshells under the pedal on a long motorway run. Cos thats where my csrs live generally and I try to use my bike for other local trips...

On the MPG front, I think the tipping fsctor for me is that its not much farther than reported real world MPG figures of my Legacy SpecB and the road tax is almost the same aswell (sad face goes here)...

Hi Shafiq.

The purchase of a £5000 LS can be a MAJOR MONEY PIT.

One can however seek to minimise one`s exposure to the risk by (in so far as one can)

* Ensuring that the vehicle has a documented full service history

* Checking the vehicle`s MOT history using the DVLA website

*Scrutinising this website  

* Buying from a reputable Motor TRADER, AND 
* Using the 6 month STATUTORY WARRANTY which implies that the Trader bears the responsibility and cost of fixing any significant problem occurring within 6 months of purchase.

Beyond all of that Matey, you are in the lap of the Gods !! 

Very good luck. 

Thanks Roy... I intend on utilising all of the above with the exception of that watranty you mention as I have seen oje with excellent stats as private.

I take it these are chain driven engines?

Money pit= in what are the main things to be worn/wearing?

1 hour ago, Redefined said:

Thanks Roy... I intend on utilising all of the above with the exception of that watranty you mention as I have seen oje with excellent stats as private.

I take it these are chain driven engines?

Money pit= in what are the main things to be worn/wearing?

I believe it is Chain.

Look c at HJ CAR REVIEWS FOR REPORTED FAULTS   https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/ls-600h-2006/

AND https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/ls460-2006/

I think your best bet would be to firstly do the normal car buying checks yourself.

But importantly get it on a ramp and get a mechanic to give the suspension a good inspection - being a heavy car and especially at that mileage the suspension would have suffered a lot of wear and tear.

Thanks all... so in a nutshell, am I right in saying its not 'The One'... ie. The one that owners have found to be the mist reliable out of all historical Lexus' (I think that could possibly be the older ls400 if I understand it al correctly :wink3:

Firstly f you seriously looking to save up for LS600 get yourself a cheap runabout for now. Something with a small petrol engine.. 

Secondly it is a well known ancient wisdom: the cheaper the Lexus, the more money you'll have to spend keeping it in good nick. One thing i have learned in life: NO ONE will sell you a well looked after car for cheap. That just don't happen. Hence why i stopped looking for bottom priced cars long time ago. Paid top dollar for my current GS still have few niggles but the car has been maintained from new with no expense spared. I suggest you stay away from those cheap rundown moneypit 600Hs once you start looking. 

• Like 2

I would say a £5K LS400 could be a well looked after car, and will have less long term 'stupid' costs than either 460 or 600, though the 400 is not as 'luxurious' as 460/600 on the inside, and the ride quality I would say a well sorted 400 is about 95% ride quality of your preferred choice.

A £5K 460 is more than likely to be a bit of a cheque-burner

I bought my LS for £2.5K 6 years ago (130K on clock), and since then the suspension has had around £3K spent on it  - UCA replacement, new front shocks, various bushes, tie bars, and probably going to need new rear shocks and a bit of other work in next year so looking at about £900 plus. (now at 204k miles)  So in essence I spent just over £6K for mine, but the cash left the bank over a few years.  Cambelt changes not needed on 460, as it is chain drive.

I look at as I get a car that was an arm and a leg to buy new, but it is has cost me less than my Omega 2.5 cost me over 5 years. If I were to go for an upgrade it would the 460, because I like the shape, but knowing if I could find one with coilovers, I would be a happier with it.600 not of much interest as I do so little town/queue driving.

Real world MPG with my 400 - commute on A roads to work in Cotswolds, i get between 24 and 27 (when I do not queue in school traffic).  On the Motorway between 30 and 33 depending (but have got 37 on trips to Manchester - and that was long sections at 50, but also queuing around Manchester).  I think a 460 would be a little (but not much) thirstier.

LS400 is the only one with stainless exhaust, so apart from Y-piece replacement it should last as long as the car.  Not sure what LS600 exhaust is.

I think when it comes to second hand cars the less previous owners a car has the better or less problems one is likely to encounter but this is not always the case. full service history is always is must and nothing wrong with a £5000 Lexus 460 its just to do with age, depreciation and demand so long as it has had 1 or possibly two previous owners, has had a full service history and MOT history looks good then i see nothing wrong. of course main hing like engine and gearbox needs to also be in good condition with signs of no leak or shift problems.

of course being a 2007/2008 which makes it 11-12 years old with over 100,000 miles on the clock will definitely need things like suspension parts  and radiator needing replacing due to wear and tear as these parts are for most part engineered to last at least 10 years or up to 100,000 miles. this does not apply to all car brands but i noticed most Japanese cars are engineered this way.

for example: i always hear most people say spending something like say £1k or £2k changing or fixing up a second hand car worth say £2 or £3k is waste and its throwing money away as you wont make it back when you come to sell it on. but i see people spend £25k or £35k on a PCP or PCH finance and they never get to own the car. is that not throwing even more money away? 

i see it like this, if you like the 460 and its in good condition by all means budget for the likelihood of changing suspension parts and get the radiator changed as a precaution even if it sets you back another £2K - £3K... it will drive better and give you a better experience than majority of 2019 luxury cars on the road today..

• Like 1