Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So it turns out my car as lovely as it is has an exhaust blowing. I already had an issue with the rear section, I spent £350 on an aftermarket rear section exhaust requesting it be as silent as possible but ended up hating it! So I ended up buying a Genuine Lexus one for another £400 from Nippon autospares and selling the aftermarket one for next to nothing.

Now it turns out the centre section is blowing and its nothing a simple weld can fix. Cost to replace £1250.00!! Its just unbelieveable! I love the car but i hate it sometimes!

Bearing in mind in 18 months i have done the Battery refurb (Hybird B.S) Michelin crossclimates all round full Service Exhaust shocks all round brakes and pads all round, 

Does anyone know where i could perhaps find a rear section one or if anyone fabricates anything decent that will keep the car silent? 

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Kal, what exactly was the issue with the aftermarket rear section?  Was it an off the shelf item or bespoke/made to measure part?

When I had my rear section replaced (due to the same corrosion as yours, hardly surprising given the age) they found that my mid section couldn't cope with the wrestling and needed replacing.  Which I didn't mind at the time as once it's done, the stainless repair wouldn't need looking at again.  Tony Banks (Leeds) sorted mine and although it's not ghostly silent like OEM it only just makes itself heard, in-fact it now has a nice quiet burble.  Have you tried TB?

I'm confused by your post tho, did you buy a mid section at £1250 and now want another rear section (even tho you sourced an OEM rear from Nippon) ?  If so, then what's wrong with the replacement rear ?  Or are you now looking for a replacement mid section after balking at the £1250 ?

Sorry to hear that the bills are mounting up tho, I guess your Battery refurb was necessary and that you hadn't had a Lexus Healthcheck done in the previous 12 months?

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

Hi Farqui,

So originally i had the rear section (twin silencer) made by an exhaust company in Dagenham as Lexus were really expensive. They advised me that it will be slightly louder than standard. Which it really was but I wasn't happy with it. To me it was quite droney. As its a CVT, I could always hear when i was on the accelerator or off it especially on the motorway. I eventually found Nippon who were able to get me a Lexus rear section silencer which i purchased and had fitted. It made a world of difference! The car was silent again! No droney sounds.

Now its blowing from the mid section, its not loud but I know its there. My local garage said he couldn't patch it up, it needs replacing. From Lexus its £1676.00! Nippon can do it for £1250 including shipping and VAT. I love the car but out of principle, spending £1250 on a part just pains me! Makes me wish I stuck to leasing!

Picture of the part is attached. Do you think TB has this part? If so can it be silent like standard?

Kal

GS450 EXHAUST MIDDLE SECTION.png

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. Maybe the original rear boxes were a tad too small or not sufficiently baffled?

TB made up my mid section with the cats but without the rear most can shown in your pic ^ but I dare say they could, they're handy and have provided good service to many other forum members. 

If I were you then I would definitely give them a call, they'll make it sound/look as you want. 

My new s/s mid section didn't break the bank and was significantly less than you've been quoted 😉

Good luck getting this sorted.

Well the Hybrid Battery is the same as before it just doesn't say "check Hybrid system" on the dash. I suppose it lasts longer on Battery only mode but don't do that often. Brakes made a huge difference to the car! I opted for genuine lexus discs pads and sensors and going down a hill with gentle gradual braking makes the Battery charge up very quickly. Shocks were leaking slightly so i thought it be best to get them all done. I didn't have to do them but as i am ferrying my little boy around I wanted to be safe than sorry. Again Nippon did these parts far cheaper than Lexus. It cost a fair bit but i just think some things (like brakes and tyres) you just don't compromise on!

• Like 1

Kal,

Sorry to hear of your problems. You seem to have had all the 450h problems.

If you do get a price from TB could you post please? I will be needing something in the not too distant future. I'm going to call in on Longlife Cardiff Exhausts next time I am passing to get a price from them which I will post. Another possibility is 304 Stainless Exhaust Parts in Worcester which I will investigate.

TB certainly has 450h experience and satisfied customers on this forum but Cardiff might be nearer for you.

John

2 hours ago, Kal Choudhury said:

Well the Hybrid battery is the same as before it just doesn't say "check Hybrid system" on the dash. I suppose it lasts longer on Battery only mode but don't do that often. Brakes made a huge difference to the car! I opted for genuine lexus discs pads and sensors and going down a hill with gentle gradual braking makes the battery charge up very quickly. Shocks were leaking slightly so i thought it be best to get them all done. I didn't have to do them but as i am ferrying my little boy around I wanted to be safe than sorry. Again Nippon did these parts far cheaper than Lexus. It cost a fair bit but i just think some things (like brakes and tyres) you just don't compromise on!

Hey Kal

Can you clarify what you mean when you say the new discs etc make the Battery charge far quicker?  I would have thought that the Battery recharge process is unaffected by the condition of the discs and pads?  Am I missing something?  If you don’t mind sharing, how much did it cost to have the whole shebang done as I feel my discs / pads are a bit graunchy and I get squeals when braking in reverse sometimes.   And like you’d I’d rather have the brakes in tip top condition.  

I had my rear shocks replaced a few months ago due to fluid leaking / misting.  At 100k I suspect my front ones are also past their best (albeit there is no sign of leakage) as there is a subtle difference between the way the car traverses bumps - front to rear.  You had Lexus do yours?  What did they charge for that?

Thanks, Gary 

Possibly give Infinity Exhausts a call (Dodington Ash), 3 minutes off J18 of M4 near Bath.  Infinity

Sorted my LS, a few years back, no problems since. 

A bit of a drive, from London, and public transport nearby is naff, so if job is long, take a book or walking boots and get yourself down to Dyrham Park for the day

• Like 1

Tony Banks would be an awfully long drive for Kal but I'm one of those satisfied customers mentioned above. I asked him to make the stainless system on my GS300 as quiet as possible and that's exactly what he did.

If it's any help, you're booked in for a specific time and there's a McDonalds round the corner. Alternatively pop in to Leeds for a mooch round. It's not like you just leave it with them for days on end.

IMG_20191024_115224136.jpg

• Like 1

John- I spoke to TB. 399+VAT for Mid section with Cats 599+VAT for full system. TB confirmed he can make them silent so leaning towards him at the moment!

Gary- The discs and pads i had before my currents were cheap aftermarkets as i have a receipt from the previous owner. They felt really weird under braking especially when reducing a lot of speed. They did recharge the Battery but i find that my current discs maybe because the contact is better (and to be fair the Battery is now refurbed) it recharges quicker. Plus its stops really well too! With my shocks i had the driver side front leaking and and passenger side rear. They were leaking ever so slightly so i could've probably held onto them for another year but as the brakes were being done i thought it be best to get all 4 shocks done too. I had my local garage do it as I have known them for years. Costs were:

Lexus Front and rear Shocks front and rear disks and pads £1065 Rear Section Exhaust £450.00 Fitting by local garage including brake fluid service was £400.00

8 minutes ago, Kal Choudhury said:

+VAT

If you speak to him again I'd confirm that. I had my work done only a few weeks ago and he never quoted +VAT. Always "all in". I noticed because it's a particular peeve of mine.