Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ECU capacitor replacement

I've been reading some of the old posts both on this site and the US site about ECU capacitor replacement. My LS is a 1998 and probably as preventive measures I should get the capacitors replaced.

My 2 questions are:

1. Where can I source the 11 capacitors that are required for a mark 4 - of good quality.

2. Who is the 'go-to' person in the UK for removing the old capacitors and replacing with new ones?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

thanks

I've been reading some of the old posts both on this site and the US site about ECU capacitor replacement. My LS is a 1998 and probably as preventive measures I should get the capacitors replaced.
My 2 questions are:
1. Where can I source the 11 capacitors that are required for a mark 4 - of good quality.
2. Who is the 'go-to' person in the UK for removing the old capacitors and replacing with new ones?
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
thanks
Hi,

I had mine rebuilt last month by ECU Testing in Derbyshire.

Initially they didn't want to look at it because they didn't have a test rig for the model. I persuaded them that if they are the experts then they need to just open the ECU and look at it properly and they will see that needs to be done. Sure enough they opened it and saw dead capacitors.

They swapped all the capacitors out for new ones (made especially for them so they know the quality and can guarantee the work). Now my car which didn't drive properly is back to full health!

Even after saying they wouldn't because of the test rig situation they still put a lifetime guarantee on the work.

Hope this helps! Cost was £250.

www.ecutesting.com

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ajchetcuti said:

I've just gone to their on-line chat and they seem unwilling to tell me if it can be re-capacitored on my 1995 car without them seeing the ECU itself and my wish to drive the car to them, have them deal with the ECU in situ,( taking it off, re-doing it and putting it back on )  cannot be achieved

sad

Malc

I've just gone to their on-line chat and they seem unwilling to tell me if it can be re-capacitored on my 1995 car without them seeing the ECU itself and my wish to drive the car to them, have them deal with the ECU in situ,( taking it off, re-doing it and putting it back on )  cannot be achieved
sad
Malc

I doubt they would do a while you wait, are you not happy to ship it? I dropped mine off and they shipped it back. The technicians there can do the work no problem. It's the office staff that act like they can't from what the system tells them and their guarantee policy. 3 calls and me almost begging and they did the work. So many places I tried just said no immediately without even asking for it to be sent. So at least they were a step further there.

I'd be tempted to call and ask them to talk to a technician. You can even have my order number if you want, as they can see they have done similar work. 1570805179280.

Also Steve on here can rebuild them, chances are he'll comment on the thread if he's happy to help. He did on mine but I'd already sent it off before he was able to look at it.

Wildcard is Bill in the states from LS Cowboys, he can do the repairs but it will take a while and the price is similar.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/LScowboyLS/reviews/

Alex.

1 hour ago, ajchetcuti said:

Hi,

I had mine rebuilt last month by ECU Testing in Derbyshire.

Initially they didn't want to look at it because they didn't have a test rig for the model. I persuaded them that if they are the experts then they need to just open the ECU and look at it properly and they will see that needs to be done. Sure enough they opened it and saw dead capacitors.

They swapped all the capacitors out for new ones (made especially for them so they know the quality and can guarantee the work). Now my car which didn't drive properly is back to full health!

Even after saying they wouldn't because of the test rig situation they still put a lifetime guarantee on the work.

Hope this helps! Cost was £250.

www.ecutesting.com

This is great information. Do you remember how long they took to complete the task?

This is great information. Do you remember how long they took to complete the task?
In total it was a week and a bit. Probably only 3 days without the back and forth over actually doing the job!

Alexander, thank you so much for this helpful advice

If I do actually get an issue with mine then I certainly will arrange for the ECU to be sorted ................. 

I'll keep crossing my fingers that all stays well even though perhaps there's general progressive deterioration, it seems all ok for now

Malc

I haven't experienced any issues but it's more about precautionary measures. I'm going to take some pictures of my ECU opened up and post here so we can all see what it looks like after 21 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mo- said:

My LS is a 1998 and probably as preventive measures I should get the capacitors replaced.

I thought the same thing about my 1996 LS400 and purchased the capacitors from DigiKey in the States ready to do the job with some help from an electronics guy at work. I read the ' All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)' post on https://www.clublexus.com and used the list in this post for the caps needed for my car and where to buy them from. In this post it states something like -  it's not 'if the issue/s occurs' it's rather 'when the issue/s will occur' and will appear at some point, hence wanting to get it done.

I removed the ECU, took it to work ready to do the job but when we looked - the ECU was pristine and no signs of any caps bulging or leaking at all so we decided to leave it. It was like brand spanking new. I'm not saying the caps are working perfectly but I don't have any symptoms on my car. Maybe the capacitor issue is related to mileage as mines done 69,000 and it would be interesting to know, if possible, the mileage of cars that have/had the symptoms and needed the caps changed. Then again mileage might be nothing to do with it.

I may still have some capacitor kits left over from some rebuilds and kit supplies for some members a few years ago, I will have a look over the weekend and let you know. 

Just done a same day turn around on a 1994 climate control LCD for another member yesterday, already refitted and working fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...