Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a GS300h 64 plate with the newer widescreen navigator. I've approached my Lexus dealer who tells me I have to have the radio removed
in order to install new data and it will cost £120. It takes about 20 minutes to remove the radio and a similar time to reinstall.

Can this be a DIY or do I have fork out an exorbitant fee?

controls.png

Is that picture from your actual vehicle? 

If so then you need a usb update which can be done yourself. 

If that picture isn't from your car, check whether you have a little flap just above the hazard warning light button, which hides a microSD slot. If you have that then you need a new microSD, which can be obtained from eBay for about £45 

3 hours ago, i-s said:

Is that picture from your actual vehicle? 

If so then you need a usb update which can be done yourself. 

If that picture isn't from your car, check whether you have a little flap just above the hazard warning light button, which hides a microSD slot. If you have that then you need a new microSD, which can be obtained from ebay for about £45 

It isn't from my car but mine is exactly the same. It doesn't have a flap  near the hazard warning. Do you have any more details please?

Thanks

Earlier 4GS cars (2012-2014ish) require a software update for the satnav. Lexus used to provide these via a website where you would download the file from, put it on a usb stick, put the USB stick into the plug in the centre console and update the car. At some point Lexus stopped allowing users to do this, but you might still be able to get the software download from elsewhere on the website. 

Later 4GS (all post-facelift, some late pre-facelift, like ours) have a microSD slot as I described. 

£120 sounds a typical sort of price that Lexus might charge to update the software, but it should not need anything removing from the car. I wonder if there's a physical mod they are making to either close off user updating (and thus pirating of maps), or whether they are physically updating to the microSD system (but I'd be very surprised if they did do that, and for only £120). 

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my 2014 GS300h a couple of months ago the map update screen showed 'last map update was cancelled'. That irritated me no end so I resolved to do something about it and came across this thread. I visited the link:

https://toyotamaps.online/map-updates/toyota-lexus-navigation-gen7-update

I paid my $79 (£64.10) via PayPal and received a link to onedrive files. There are 8 of them and the total download size is about 14Gb. You then need to extract (one of the files is an extraction program) the files to a 64Gb Flash drive - I had a 64Gb SD card and a USB card reader but that didn't work. I contacted the vendor and he confirmed what I had already suspected - the car is fussy about the flash drives it accepts. So acquired a 64Gb San Disk Cruzer (other brands are available!) and extracted the files again. The total extracted size is just over 32Gb. You plug the flash drive in to the USB port in the cubby between the seats.

Now you go to the map update screen and plug the flash drive in - this time it showed it was ready to update. You take a picture of the screen and email it to the vendor - he then sends you an activation/licence code. When you start the update the first thing is it asks you is to key in the code then it does a software update. This takes about 10 minutes, then you have to stop the car and restart. Now it's a bit worrying - the screen goes black for quite a few seconds but then it comes back and tells you the map update is ready to start and will take approx 98 minutes. (So you'd better be driving somewhere, even aimlessly, if you don't want the car to be idling on your drive for a couple of hours!)

At last it tells you the update completed successfully. The map is updated to April 2019 and it was issued in October 2019, so now is as up-to-date as possible. Very happy!

I know the navigation is nowhere near as good as you get for free on your phone but now my car is working properly for a reasonable cost.

I suspect this isn't quite kosher but hey! it works, it's a reasonable cost and Lexus should offer this service (they used to, but have discontinued it) rather than tell you to go and be ripped off by a dealer!

• Thanks 3

• 10 months later...

Sadly my navigator will not update. I bought the download from Toyota maps and they have been quite helpful but unsuccessful. The latest suggestion was they would load a USB stick or forward a new hard drive (obviously at extra cost - not indicated). The only way I can have a 6 year upgrade is via Lexus who now tell me "it's £180 and would you like to book an appontment?" I understand it takes 2 hours to update with the engine running but doesn't need supervising. A nice bit of pocket money for Lexus. I used to have a Skoda Supreme with an upgrade that cost me £5.00! No joystick and a great touchscreen - I could also add and delete directly on the screen.