Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

Planning to get a new set of tyres for my 57 plate IS220d. The previous owner had put a set of Landsails, they are now worn close to legal limit. 

I've been doing some research online on Michelins and Bridgestones, but has left me confused. Long tyre life and low noise levels are my priorities. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ivinriez

@scudney to be honest, I haven't really driven any other IS nor have I had any other tyres on her so far. I do a lot of motorway miles usually, so I don't think I can really make a legit comment on handling. That being said, from the occasional country road drives I remember the rear stepping out a couple of times(which I love, and try to do the same at T-junctions😉) when I floor the gas. I think that's when the VSC kicks in and I'm in a straight line again. I would like to know if there is an option to turn traction control off🤔The car in general, gives me a feeling that I'm driving a tank😄 I'm not sure if it is the tyres or it's the way she is🤓 Probably, I could give a better answer after I get her new shoes😊

@ivinriez thanks for  your reply,  the only reason I ask is when I bought my 250 f sport almost 3 years ago (18 inch wheels) that's what they came with and so far I haven't really had any problems with them,apparently they also make aircraft tyres😊

Around 6 months ago I fitted 4x new avon ZV7's to replace original fitment goodyear efficient grip on my 2006 IS 220d. They are ok and cost £230 for 4 fitted.

I'm glad I fitted non expensive tyres as I'm getting coolant loss and suspect head gasket or oil cooler. Runs well but reservoir has a flow too it and bubbles and rises and overflows if cap off. Coolant when engine starts disappears from reservoir and when cool returns or if you open the cap carefully. Seems to need topping up more often now. It has covered 187,000 now 13,000 miles with me.

I will either sell it with all faults declared or if it overheats and finally goes weigh in for scrap. I would then eventually buy a 250 instead or hybrid.

I like the shape, colour and comfort and safety. Not 6 speed or turbo lag. Auto would be better.

I wouldn't spend any great money on a 220 as now only getting 31mpg!

On my 1996 Volvo 940 I have Michelin energy savers on the rear and they last well. My previous 1989 Volvo 240 in the 10 years I had it had 3 sets of Michelin Energy savers in that time and 76,000 miles. When sold had 4mm tread left. In Spring when I refit my summer tyres I'll buy a pair for the front. 

Pics as I bought it 20 months ago. 

James 

Lex1.jpg

Lex2.jpg

Lex3.jpg

Fitted Dunlop sportmaxx rt2 to my is220d. Great tyres in wet and dry. Wear well too. I’m in the same boat as Jamesis220 mine got till July till mot runs out then scrapping mine. Got persistent vsc eml light on probably a faulty sensor. Bumper needs fixing after back box left the car at speed. Repairs more than mine worth. Love the is hate the engine. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, scudney said:

Would probably say Michelins but expensive lol

Yea, they are a bit on the expensive side. I was thinking of getting Michelins, have had a word with a colleague yesterday who owns a '09 plate IS220d that has Michelin Primacys on them. I am told he has been using them for almost 25k miles now, the tyres look like they have pretty much life left on them. Did not get a chance to have a ride and get a feel of the noise levels though.

@JamesIS220 Thank you for the elaborate write-up.

I have read a bit online about the head gasket failures on the IS, it makes me feel its a common issue (or should I say a known issue?) 

Sometime ago, I did consider upgrading to an Auto IS 250, but . IMHO when it comes to the car buying decision, I cant think of moving to any other brand apart from Lexus. Totally understand when you mentioned what you like about it 😄

As far as the MPG is concerned, I get around 550-570 miles out of a full tank (if it is motorway runs alone). However, I am getting 470 miles consistently. I think that accounts for appox. 35mpg I believe. The trip computer, however shows 38 mpg consistently and 44 mpg on motorway runs.

It seems Michelins are everyone's favourite. Thanks again for suggesting the Energy Savers, at least now the buying decision narrows down to Energy Savers and Primacys. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

Fitted Dunlop sportmaxx rt2 to my is220d. Great tyres in wet and dry. Wear well too. I’m in the same boat as Jamesis220 mine got till July till mot runs out then scrapping mine. Got persistent vsc eml light on probably a faulty sensor. Bumper needs fixing after back box left the car at speed. Repairs more than mine worth. Love the is hate the engine. 

Just checked online, I'm seeing the same prices for Michelin Primacy 4 and the Dunlops on blackcircles.com. I need to do a bit of research on the Dunlops now 😄 Thanks for suggesting @Scouselexus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

My question is, how much for each tyre should I spend on a 10 year old car? Any advise?

As it's an IS 250 and hopefully be trouble free/ not scrapping soon, then buy the tyres that keep you on the road. Never understood people who have a newish car and skimp on tyres. Only contact with the road.

Avoid cheap Chinese. I like brands I have heard of. On my 23 year old Volvo 940 I have Michelin energy savers but bought used. Will buy new for front when I take winters off. Michelin Energy, current price £77 each at ATS.

James.

Yes that's a lot, but then 255/40-18 is a really expensive size in general. I would switch to 245/40-18 on the rear if you need 2 tyres.

I did, and it cost me £450 for a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Whereas, it would've been nearly £600 if I stuck with the 255s on the rear.