Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car, broken down already.

Hi 

I’ve been reading away on the forum for a few weeks as my companion has purchased a nice 2019 NX300h.

its not been a good start though sadly. We picked her up from the Lexus dealer on Friday, drove home and enjoyed the brief trip. Yesterday we never went out and today she drove to a local area to walk the dog and when she tried to leave the car failed to start. The AA have turned up and are now taking it back to the dealership. 
I asked what happened as I’m home as she told me the screen said some like done drive more .3 call dealer.

its done 6000 miles only and I’m a bit gutted as we thought they had a good reliability record. 

Very bad luck indeed. There's an exception to every rule. Suffice to say, the NX is THE most reliable car you can buy in some reports and Lexus the most reliable manufacturer. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Oh, is there any chance you could correct your last but one paragraph, as I'd love to know what was wrong, but I think the predictive texting got a little confused! 😉

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.

Should hear tomorrow what’s going on. 
She had a Honda CRV before and she’s had 8 trouble free years from that which I was hoping the Lexus would match. 

Just now, Newfie said:

Thanks Steve.

Should hear tomorrow what’s going on. 
She had a Honda CRV before and she’s had 8 trouble free years from that which I was hoping the Lexus would match. 

Just unlucky, I'm certain! Once they fix this issue, that'll be it I'm quite sure.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed and all that kind of stuff it will be fine. She’s more upset as she was running a friend over to London tomorrow who is due an operation so she’s busy sorting out a taxi for her.

• Like 1

Sorry I was rushing as I was on the phone while typing, talking to her about the car.

She said it came up with do not drive more .3 mile call dealer and I asked her was she sure it said that as it’s a bit long. She also mentioned FWD came up and the engine sounded rough. 
The AA chap used a diagnostic tool but was unable to help. It should be back on its way to Reading now as she left the keys at the pub near where the cars parked. 
I told her she’s got Lexus brake down cover which she could have used but she’s all in a pickle to the point she thinks it’s as sign it’s not a car for her.

before she went for the Lexus I arranged test drives in a number of cars, Mini Countryman and a Porsche Mecan were on the books as she liked those  but I was not with her when she test drove the Lexus and she just went for it there and then. 

We've just bought a 2012 Lexus rather than getting a newer car partly as I don't want the depreciation, or to pay lease costs, but your CRV story is interesting we had one on a three year lease 2016 1.6 diesel earth dreams engine. First day we had it the oil light came on, then cleared at its first service they asked if it was noisy or if it was since they had changed the oil, anyway it had to have a new engine under warranty. We had a CRV petrol no issues and a couple of Accords in the past that were literally bomb proof. The new CRV was not very good and appeared less well made than previous cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

The AA chap used a diagnostic tool but was unable to help. It should be back on its way to Reading now as she left the keys at the pub near where the cars parked. 
I told her she’s got Lexus brake down cover which she could have used but she’s all in a pickle to the point she thinks it’s as sign it’s not a car for her.

Lexus breakdown cover is actually the AA ...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

the cars not been picked up and the pub has the keys so it’s staying where it is. I’ve told her to ring Lexus first thing tomorrow.

ive looked at the big old manual and can’t see a FWD warning. I take it the manual covers all warnings. 

50 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Thanks for the info.

the cars not been picked up and the pub has the keys so it’s staying where it is. I’ve told her to ring Lexus first thing tomorrow.

ive looked at the big old manual and can’t see a FWD warning. I take it the manual covers all warnings. 

I'm not aware of an FWD warning. No idea what that is. And that message does sound too long to me too. It wouldn't fit in the central multi info screen. 

Intrigued to know what the problem is. Also, why didn't the AA recover the vehicle there and then? It should have been taken directly to the nearest Lexus dealer for you, and Lexus should be providing a courtesy car. There are all sorts of benefits to the Lexus Breakdown Cover...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

I'm not aware of an FWD warning. No idea what that is. And that message does sound too long to me too. It wouldn't fit in the central multi info screen. 

Intrigued to know what the problem is. Also, why didn't the AA recover the vehicle there and then? It should have been taken directly to the nearest Lexus dealer for you, and Lexus should be providing a courtesy car. There are all sorts of benefits to the Lexus Breakdown Cover...

I think she was so flustered she’s got all confused. She began by saying there was a green p on the screen which is the park assist so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

the AA chap told her pickup would be within 2 hours which has gone wayward by the sound of it. I did say they should supply a car, I’m sure tomorrow they will have her on the road at least. I think she should have stayed with the car but instead she got a taxi home as she was stressed. She’s managed to fall over too and has hurt her hand while walking with the AA chap. I’ve told her to get a good nights sleep and tomorrow it will be sorted.

5 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

Just checked the big manual too, no FWD warning...

I can’t see any of the issues she said appeared. I will update tomorrow and hopefully know more. 

Just now, Zotto said:

Did she forget to press brake pedal and so NX did not start? 😇

No, the starting of the car is the same as her old Honda.

AA confirmed it’s a non runner, they struggled to move the car to a position ready for it to be collected. She’s on the phone now to Lexus dealership and I’m waiting to hear back.

Im guessing it’s still parked up waiting to be collected as the pub had the keys still when she phoned last night. 

Looks like the AA can’t confirm that the car will be picked up today as apparently they are busy so maybe tomorrow.

The Lexus dealer is trying to sort out a courtesy car, she said they were very helpful on the phone.

Dealership was great, courtesy car delivered within one hour, she told me everyone was being very helpful. 
AA have removed car last night to a secure location and tomorrow it should arrive at Lexus. 

Quite unusual, bad batch of fuel can cause this though. I remember a friend who fairly recently put some fuel into his brand new BMW.

Fuel had condensation in it, the car wouldn't start, spluttered and was recovered. Fuel removed, fresh batch put in and it started

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Quite unusual, bad batch of fuel can cause this though. I remember a friend who fairly recently put some fuel into his brand new BMW.

Fuel had condensation in it, the car wouldn't start, spluttered and was recovered. Fuel removed, fresh batch put in and it started

She had filled before her trip and I asked if she had put diesel in by mistake and to check her receipt even though the nozzle size would make it hard work but these things happen. 
In the old days it was so easy to get in and work on problems but now it’s like a walking computer. 

14 minutes ago, Newfie said:

She had filled before her trip and I asked if she had put diesel in by mistake and to check her receipt even though the nozzle size would make it hard work but these things happen. 
In the old days it was so easy to get in and work on problems but now it’s like a walking computer. 

I presume the fuel was correct in the end then? 

Any further news on it then. I'm interested to find out what it was

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

I presume the fuel was correct in the end then? 

Any further news on it then. I'm interested to find out what it was

Yes she confirmed it’s petrol, I did dig a bit just in case.

No news yet, it should be with Lexus tomorrow so hopefully will soon find out what’s going on. She popped up to my place earlier and is happy to have another car to ferry her about. 

No real update, AA can’t deliver now till tomorrow. I’m a little surprised why it’s taking the AA so long. Still I’ve told her not to worry as it will get sorted in the end and she has the courtesy car for whatever time scale that is. 

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

No real update, AA can’t deliver now till tomorrow. I’m a little surprised why it’s taking the AA so long. Still I’ve told her not to worry as it will get sorted in the end and she has the courtesy car for whatever time scale that is. 

That's quite shocking. I'd be up the wall at the delay!

5 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

That's quite shocking. I'd be up the wall at the delay!

They will not even tell her where it is as it’s in a secure lock up which could mean anything! She’s going to complain to the AA once it’s delivered.

Have to say Lexus were very good though and sorted out an NX for her within an hour and she’s very happy with the service they provided.